Florida_Audio

Left tweeter seems to be dying, sounds weak

so i have alpine SPR 60 c speakers in front of my car. powered by an amp.

the left tweeter produces sound. but it sounds very weak at times, sometimes i can tell more so than others, in certain parts of songs.

but sometimes it just sounds lower volume than the right side. sometimes it sounds almost crackly, like something is loose in the tweeter. not sure how to explain how it sounds.

but ive noticed it, and done left and right balance to be sure. and theres quite a big difference in the left to right sides.

so what can i do? and what should i check?

im thinking it might be the wiring or the tweeter is dying?

if the amp channel is dying, i would assume the other mid speaker on the left side would suffer as well. but it seems to sound fine. just the tweeter is having issues on left side.

wondering if i should just replace both front tweeters. and if so, wonder if it would sound bad to use a difference brands tweeters? i tried looking for just 1 tweeter of the alpine SPR 60c. and can only find a set of 2, and its quite expensive, $90 for 2. when i did pay $160 for the component set. but still..... i think i just need 1 tweeter.

so frustrating. nothing but trouble since ive had this installed by a shop... i dont want to go back to that shop again. i may bring it to a new shop, but im very worried they may be sketchy and may cost alot.

wonder if any place would do diagnostic for free , but seems unlikely

wow my bad.... i was brought to a completely white blank page after posting before, so i though it didnt post.

Edited by Florida_Audio

Check all the wires first.  Make sure they are tight.  A temporary problem is rarely a driver.

Then start by swapping the RCA.  Does it follow the RCA or not?

Then swap the amp channels, does it follow the swap or not?

Don't rule out the crossover as well.  Although if it is the crossover a visual inspection may show you the problem as it will be "wiring" related (ie loose solder joint or the like, puffy cap, etc).

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Check all the wires first.  Make sure they are tight.  A temporary problem is rarely a driver.

Don't rule out the crossover as well.  Although if it is the crossover a visual inspection may show you the problem as it will be "wiring" related (ie loose solder joint or the like, puffy cap, etc).

ok thanks. appreciate the list of things to check! what i was looking for. and most of these i can do myself and understand

the looking at the wires part, i can do, but not 100% sure i know enough to notice something wrong, other than if a wire is completely disconnected.

last time i disconnected my battery at the negative terminal, it slides back on, but doesnt screw in tight, so ill have to figure that out after, since i should disconnect negative terminal before messing with RCAs? right?

Generally speaking everything that you have to do you could do without disconnecting the battery.

However, beware that there is live power and if you ground out the power you will be sorry.  It is always safer to remove the battery terminal.  The other option of course is to just pull the fuse you have by the battery for your amp.  This cuts the power to the amp as long as the key is in the off position.  If it is in On position the blue/remote wire will still have power and grounding that out can be bad as well.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Generally speaking everything that you have to do you could do without disconnecting the battery.

However, beware that there is live power and if you ground out the power you will be sorry.  It is always safer to remove the battery terminal.  The other option of course is to just pull the fuse you have by the battery for your amp.  This cuts the power to the amp as long as the key is in the off position.  If it is in On position the blue/remote wire will still have power and grounding that out can be bad as well.

not exactly sure by "Ground out the power" means. but assume its if theres electricity that destroys stuff within the system.

and im not sure how to pull the fuse? is this easy to pull out and replace? ive seent he fuse i think, but it didnt look like i can remove it easily?

the battery terminal, i just unscrew and lift it off the battery. seems easy?

Touching the power wire to ground or vice versa.  ie, short out the circuit.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Touching the power wire to ground or vice versa.  ie, short out the circuit.

oh ok. so as long as i dont touch anything to the power wire thats connected to the battery in front or the amplifier in the back, then it should be fine?

I don't want to recommend you do it with the wires hot...but what you described is what I would do.  There are a tons of possibilities of accidentally doing something though so I really have to recommend you pull the fuse or disconnect the neg terminal of the battery.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

I don't want to recommend you do it with the wires hot...but what you described is what I would do.  There are a tons of possibilities of accidentally doing something though so I really have to recommend you pull the fuse or disconnect the neg terminal of the battery.

ok yea thanks. ill just disconnect the negative terminal. but good to learn more about it. always open to hearing what you have to say about these things. sorry if i ask to clarify what u mean sometimes, because im learning. but thanks!

last time i disconnected the negative battery terminal, when i got an oil change a few weeks after, they tightened it for me. maybe i need another tool. i just have a very basic wrench

Normally it is just a 10mm, but not sure specifically on the Hyundai.

Always ask for clarification, anything to help the learning is great!

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Normally it is just a 10mm, but not sure specifically on the Hyundai.

Always ask for clarification, anything to help the learning is great!

except when u hated reading my "books" as i believe you called some of my posts a bit ago. lol :]

Being direct is helpful in getting good answers. 

On 7/11/2016 at 10:33 AM, ///M5 said:

ok so ive been busy and i finally got to this

i swapped the RCAs. issue still stays on left tweeter.

i swapped the amp channels, and the issue still stays on the left tweeter

i think i may i poorly explained it in first post. when i said the issue comes and goes, i meant the slight crackling noise that sounds from the left tweeter comes and goes. but the lower volume in the left tweeter is constand and always happens.

so the low volume in tweeter is always there. but the crackling comes and goes, and both issue are ONLY in the LEFT TWEETER.

so..... its not the RCA and not the channels on the amp.

what else can it be?

only things i can think of, are the physical tweeter is failing or the crossover is failing?

i checked the wires into the crossover and tweeter, and all seem to be snug in place.

so what should i do next?

should i start by ordering a new pair of tweeters and swapping out the left tweeter for a new one? or the crossover on the left side? can i check anything before actually ordering something new?

did i miss something

thank you M5 for reading my book, i really do appreciate any help! :]

also. isnt is super weird that the tweeter still plays fine. except the volume is much lower than the other tweeter. and the random crackling sound from the tweeter?

i would have thought if the tweeter is damaged then it would not play at all? which makes me think its not the physical tweeter and it may be the crossover? this is super confusing

Did you switch the left and right tweeter and see if it follows the tweeter?

1 hour ago, frogcase2002 said:

Did you switch the left and right tweeter and see if it follows the tweeter?

derp me. i didnt even consider that haha. wow that would tell me for sure if its the tweeter or the crossover right?

hmmmm ok. but how difficult is it to just swap the tweeter? i didnt do the install. i was going to go to a different local shop to have the install a new tweeter

since everythings already in place, the shop said it would be around $45 to install a new tweeter. which is more than id like, but seems an okay price.

maybe ill just learn to do it myself.

what would this probably consist of? just a screwdriver and what? what connects the wire to the tweeter? would i need to solder it or something

Depends how they were installed. .  And it would be great to learn things your self

2 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Depends how they were installed. .  And it would be great to learn things your self

ok so good news.

the place i bought the speakers from has a 1 year warranty. they said i can ship back just the crossover and tweeter for replacements on both.

but i have to pay for shipping sadly. but its cheaper than buying new parts from somewhere else.

my first issue is disconnecting them. wonder what should i disconnect and how? since im returning the tweeter and crossover. do i just cut the wires? and unscrew them where they were installed?

any chance just cutting the wires but leaving open wires could cause some electrical issues if i try to play music just through the right side while i wait for the replacement items through shipping?

You could cut them but you might screw yourself on wire length later.  Most have a cover the pops off and the wires just screw on. 

Awesome go on the warranty!!

They have to come off easy some how.  Cut and you will hate the reinstall

You should be fine playing the other side, just tape the wires off.  Probably would not hurt if you take a picture or labeled the wires,  for reinstallation.

Where is the crossover and tweeter located?   I wouldnt just cut wires. . If your having to take out the crossover and tweeter anyway you mite as well just unhook the wires instead of cutting

3 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

You could cut them but you might screw yourself on wire length later.  Most have a cover the pops off and the wires just screw on. 

Awesome go on the warranty!!

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

They have to come off easy some how.  Cut and you will hate the reinstall

3 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Where is the crossover and tweeter located?   I wouldnt just cut wires. . If your having to take out the crossover and tweeter anyway you mite as well just unhook the wires instead of cutting

thanks guys. this is why i ask for your opinions! :]

ok ill take a look for an easy way to disconnect them.

and thanks for the suggestion on taking a before picture. i definitely will do that now. good idea!

appreciate all of the help. i feel bleh for not considering swapping the tweeters to check if its the tweeter. and not considering taking a before photo for easy re installation.

genius pro tips that help me out!

also since i am returning the tweeter and the crossover to exchange them, since its a bit too difficult for me to check which is the one causing the issue. i guess i should probably need to return the circular tweeter and the crossover box? so its really just 2 tiny items? im wondering if there is anything else i should disconnect? just these 2 should do it i hope

Edited by Florida_Audio