Speed-Freak

Cone Area & Cone Extension

Excuse me,

When choosing a woofer, size seems be be everything. A 12" sub is better than a 10". A 6.5" woofer is better than a 4". I do understand that the larger the driver the easier it is for it to reproduce lower frequency sound. Can the measure could also be total displacement? Such as a long throw 10" driver can displace more air/space than a short throw 12" driver. I have seen this referred to as the "hit" or the physical impact the body feels.

How does driver extension affect the characteristics of sound and performance?

Usually the enclosure has alot more to do with the frequencies produced than the size of the sub

Idk i think what he's saying is say a single eighteen moved an inch, and a single twelve moved two and a half, with similar displacement and assuming equal cone mass, what's the difference in output? 

Yes excursion does help but you also have motor strength. Subs like the sundown x are good at the lows cause of there huge Xmas and subs like the DD9500 series can hit incredible db numbers at higher frequency's without that much Xmas. 

8 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

Yes excursion does help but you also have motor strength. Subs like the sundown x are good at the lows cause of there huge Xmas and subs like the DD9500 series can hit incredible db numbers at higher frequency's without that much Xmas. 

Xmax

3 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

Xmax

Lol

Lol yep spelled that wrong must have Christmas on the brain. :worthless:

Nah, I've wondered this for a while. An eighteen and a twelve with equal displacement, motorforce, suspension compliance, moving mass, should have equivalent output yes? Or does the amount of air affected instantaneously factor in to the tone?

No, you answered exactly what I was trying to ask if travel effected tone. I may have used a few more words than needed lol