Sign in to follow this  
keikdasneek

Subs for '15 F-150

Hello,

I recently set out to upgrade my 2015 F-150 xlt with left over parts from my dad's truck after he passed.  Well, long story short, half way through the process I realized all of his stuff was crap, or super old.

I currently have Alpine Type R 6x9's in the front, and Type R 6.5 coaxials in the rear door, with a Alpine PDX F6 powering those, and I have 2 12" Orion subs from the 90's 400 watt rms, with an Alpine PDX 1000.1 powering them in a sealed down firing box under my rear seats.  The box has 1.32 total cu ft. and are 5-1/4" mounting depth. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TOTRB0K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not happy with the way the subs sound, they're muddy, not clear especially if there is more than one bass note.  But at the same time they have been over powering with muddy bass and I can't deal with it anymore lol.

I have my heart set on 2 10" SSA Gcons in a Fox Acoustics box, which have 2.05 cu ft. are vented at 36 hz with a 6-1/4" mounting depth.http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=F150-SC-210-V-09 

Fox Acoustics also has a single 10" box, with 1.25 cu ft. also at 36 hz with a 6-1/4" mounting depth.  http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=F150-SC-110-V-09

I was worried the Gcon's wouldn't fit, but I've found someone else with them in the same box, that was for sale a few months ago on an F-150 forum.  So prior to finding that I was also looking at the Dcon's.

I'm just wondering which would be best, 2 gcon's or 1.  I love bass but I am a little older now and want my hearing to hold up lol.  Will 2 10"s be over powering? or will they blend in well with what I already have?  And will those boxes be good?  Or should I save money and find a 12"  that will work in the box I already have?  Also, is the PDX 1000.1 enough to power 2 10" gcons?  I have 4 ga wiring, with a stinger 300 amp circuit breaker, and my stock alt is 200 amp.

Edited by keikdasneek

what music do you listen to? personally I would opt for a single ported ported to save cost and move the remaining budget to sound deadening. 

the current box might be fine with some better subs. but im guessing its 5/8" mdf so maybe you could add a little extra bracing and make it work. sundown audio had some shallow subs that could work IIRC. 

another note is that when looking at they prefabbed boxes you need to make sure the specs are accurate and that the sub will work well in the enclosure. for example, port area is often not listed in their specs. 

I listen to Rap and R&B while driving, usually as loud as I can.  I'll go through phases and switch it up to rock, or techno even. Basically anything with a good bass line.  

What setup would you recommend with the single 10"?

well if you're looking for bass then maybe go with a larger sub setup than a single ten. do some research as to what you can fit under the seat. 

Well, I've looked and looked at different options and I've come down to either the fox box dual 10" or single with either gcons or dcons.

I want to know which sub will work best with those boxes and with my current amp.

Whatever you chose, you should get a custom box, tuned to 32-34 Hz. :)  You can have one single sub, and keep money for the custom box and sound deadening...

The fox box on first peak doesn't look like a possible solution at all.  All marketing, no engineering it seems.  

Where is a good place to get a custom box?

I was beginning to lean towards the single gcon.  

any good places to get a custom box built?  My google searches haven't been coming up with anything promising.

9 hours ago, keikdasneek said:

any good places to get a custom box built?  My google searches haven't been coming up with anything promising.

You can ask here for a box deign and have someone local build it for you.

Try this forum and facebook : you will find a lot of box designers and box builders.

Good luck.

Okay thanks.

i think I found someone to build the box.  

Is 1 12" gcon compareable to 1 12" icon? 

Which would be better off 1000 watts?

57 minutes ago, keikdasneek said:

Okay thanks.

i think I found someone to build the box.  

Is 1 12" gcon compareable to 1 12" icon? 

Which would be better off 1000 watts?

I've never tried a Gcon.

I would choose the Icon for sure !