FiAudioSubwoofersjj

Home sub enclosures

How much of a difference is designing a home audio sub enclosure than a ported car enclosure ... Never built a home sub box befor only car... Any info?

Also I am building two enclosure one for music and one for home theater so information on both applications please ... Oh and would a Fi Car Audio X (what I have just laying around) or any other good car subwoofer work in a home audio setup? That question being said are car subs an home subs the same?

Edited by FiAudioSubwoofersjj

Home theater you need to port ridiculously low.  Typically also using a really large enclosure.

Music is much more similar.  Of course in particular needing to know the goals of it before building/designing.

I have used car subs in the house. I put a set of cerwin vega 12's in 2 big boxes and they sounded great in the house. I also played my car system in the house in a sealed box and you couldn't even hear the  W6's in the room but in the other end of the house it was shaking and rattling everything violently thought the dishes where gonna break. Lol

I picked up one of the TriTrix kits from PE for my towers and added a DCON 15" in a 4Ft^3 sealed box for substage. The system is great for music but for movie watching it falls a little especially on the low end sub ~30hz, I plan on building another box and tuning in the low 20's for movies and a second plug-able port for music utilizing aeroports.

Look into large low tuned (LLT) enclosures for ideas.

LOWER.  20's is too high.  Teens...

Plugging it isn't going to work though as the size won't make that work out for you.  Either need two subs or a compromise.

Another question I have is what is the difference between custom car audio subs and home audio subs as in driver comparison not enclosures? Since I kno for a home audio application I would need a lager volume box and lower tuning for a cinematic setup and a regular size box with a tuning around 33hz for home and car audio music setups correct? Oh and a comparisons of all types drivers , as in the differences between home car and marine audio drivers(sound performance comparison, Not comparison in durability as in marine audio is just waterproof)?

Edited by FiAudioSubwoofersjj

I had a Fi BTL 18" in ~13cu @ 24hz and it was pretty good for music, but it lost steam on LFE for movies. Placement in the room, and surface area are what you need to consider for solid output that low. The shape of the room as well. My room sucked because it had a notch in it that ruined my response by boosting and nullifying certain frequencies. 

I'd say snag a pair of Dayton Classic 18's and run them sealed on RMS or less, and see how that makes you feel. Proper utilization of your equipment always trumps sheer power. 

Don't bother with multiple substages for music and theatre. A solid substage and beefy midbass arrangement will handle music just fine. If you're into critical listening, just do two complete systems, that's how I chose to approach it. One for my normal shit, and to abuse, and the other for true SQ purposes only. (Open baffle ftmfw)

Edited by SpeakerBoy