Spencer Kennedy

2015 Ford F150 System suggestions and ??s

First off this place is TOTALY different then I remember (i used to troll this site for years under the SN 144dbFiBl15) Please ignore the newb status. I guess I have been away from this site for about 4 or 5 years...man time flys.  Cant look back into my past posts, and all my pics of my former setups are gone... oh well ANYWAYS...

Times have changed I grew up had two kids finished my E.E. degree and bought a new truck and the audio in this thing is CRAP. I started to look out on the ole inter webs and soon realized the game has changed since I have been gone. I am looking for suggestions as to brands or models of speakers i should try to run for a LARGE cabin space such as mine. I want to run a CLEAN setup nice crisp tight sound from 30htz up.

System will hopefully fit the following criteria

- Must use factory head unit unless you guys know of some after marker unit that can still control the ac / heat on the seats.

- NO cutting of ANY factory wiring

- System will have 4 doors and 1 center and 1 sub.

- Total system draw should be under 800 rms (thinking 75 x 5 and maybe 400 to 500 for small sub)

- Sub must fit in space less than 4 in depth

- Shot guns and ARs go under back seats so no amps or subs can fit there. Amps need to be small and heat efficient

- I don't want to spend any more than 1500 to 2500 turn key 

- Maybe a 16 or 24 band EQ I could setup from my phone??? Truck only has bass and treble adjustments

I am just looking for your guys input of what brands to look into and what brands to look out for... Thanks in advance

One thing hasnt changed.  Center and rears are pointless.  

The other of course is we still need an idea of budget

8 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

One thing hasnt changed.  Center and rears are pointless.  

The other of course is we still need an idea of budget

Yes One thing has not changed...YOU ARE STILL HERE M5 MAKING LITTLE KIDS CRY!!! Man I totally forgot all about you...SSA and M5 used to go hand in hand back in the day and still do apparently...

Price was mention in original post...(line 7)

$1500 to $2500 USD.... 

With this budget, you should keep the stock head unit, and get an adapter (LOC type) or an amplifier which accepts high levels inputs.

I would look for strong 4 channel amplifier on a set of comps and a sub...just to cut budget.

Take a look at the brands you can find in the SSA Store. They're legit, from what I understand !

I hope you can have a box built easily. 

One other thing.  Sub and under 4" doesnt work.  1.5" for the box alone....

I take it you plan to go with a center console sub enclosure ??

5 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

I take it you plan to go with a center console sub enclosure ??

No I did not. If you buy the "sony upgraded audio" from ford for an additional 2K they place a small 8 inch sub behind the back seats between the cab and back of rear seat. I knew for a fact I could build a better system for less than 2 grand, as a result my truck does not have that small 8 in sub but the space where if could be mounted in there. the look something like this...

80-img_20150315_160328_387b83ab51e407423

I was thinking I could do something like this in its place

394590d1442269722t-2015-behind-rear-seat

M5: I should have been more clear in my post. I am thinking that an Subwoofer depth of 4 (Maybe 5) Inches will work. Not including the box

I'd build the box (or a mock) and figure out how much space I really have.

I don't remember your propensity for tuning.  Looking at all passive or is active possible?  

I also assume the budget includes the whole she-bang, ie box materials, deadening, wiring, along with the obvious amps/speakers/proc.

Have you checked on any forums to see if your stock head unit has a non-processed output or a heavily fuxored one?  Makes a big difference in proc choices...

13 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I'd build the box (or a mock) and figure out how much space I really have.

I don't remember your propensity for tuning.  Looking at all passive or is active possible?  

I also assume the budget includes the whole she-bang, ie box materials, deadening, wiring, along with the obvious amps/speakers/proc.

Have you checked on any forums to see if your stock head unit has a non-processed output or a heavily fuxored one?  Makes a big difference in proc choices...

Looking to do a "SQL" build on a budget. My budget only needs to include speakers,amps, and processing. I have 0 gauge wire, speaker wire, and terminals. The guy who did the custom kitchen cabinets in our house still owes me about 5 grand in labor so I will be getting a custom red oak box for free.

As for the box size... from that I read on the f150 forms you can get around 1 to 1.5 cubes and most people are running 8s or one 10.

If you guys think the budget can swing it I'll try a active front end. Never done one before...are they that much better than a passive system??

Honestly if I was building a sq system with that much space constraints I would use one of Memphis or JL's flat subs and some micro zed amps. Nice 4 channel for a 2 way front stage and a small mono amp for the sub or you could get a 5 channel and do the whole system with one amp but personally I like the looks of 2 amps over one if their gonna be seen. And now a days with all the great oem integration not much use in buying a head unit unless you just want more features. As for mids highs I have always been partial to morel, JL, Infinity kappa's, and focal. Any one of those in a proper install should sound pristine if set up properly. 

I would avoid shallow mount subs if you can