So I'm starting on my front stage. Finally got a car. It's a 98 camry. I'm trying to find a decent head unit but I'm not trying to spend 300 bucks on one. Any recommendations? I used to have a boss and Jenson but they would freeze when I turned my subs on

I'm not putting any subs in the vehicle not until I got a little more money. 

Edited by Ryanhughes

I have always been a Alpine fan myself or clarion but now a days seems like Pioneer, JVC, and Kenwood all make decent head units. Honestly just pick the one you like best that has the options you like and if you plan to buy subs or build a complete system you always wanna have 3 sets of RCA's and 4 volt or higher pre-outs are always good for getting the most from your amp.

Definitely a day and age where features are much more important than anything else as long as it is a reputable brand.  Don't worry about the 4v outputs though as those days are about 20 years past.  Amps these days have such low thermal noise you can gain them up a bunch to compensate and not have negative effects.  Even on budget amps.

15 hours ago, Ryanhughes said:

So I'm starting on my front stage. Finally got a car. It's a 98 camry. I'm trying to find a decent head unit but I'm not trying to spend 300 bucks on one. Any recommendations? I used to have a boss and Jenson but they would freeze when I turned my subs on

I'm not putting any subs in the vehicle not until I got a little more money. 

what would you consider decent? 

if you're not trying to spend $300, then what is your budget?  And are you looking new or used?

I would suggest making a list of features that you must have vs features that you would like and do a search of different units compared to that list.

As mentioned above, stick to a reputable brand and you should be good to go.  JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, Alpine all have some decent units on the market. 

I must ask, why double din?  Are you looking for touch screen and video playback?  Because if not, going with a single din could net you more useable features for less cost, and generally the dash adapters to install are fairly cheap...

On my 98 camry if I do a single din. I would have to buy the install kit. On I can just go ahead and put a double din in. And I honestly just like the style of them. I know single din offer more bang for cheaper the money. And most double din are garbage.  For me it's more style. And I'm not going to run the subs from my head unit when I get it. I'll be installing a clarion eq for that

This guy has a pioneer avic z1 for sale 200 bucks. I mean they used to sell for 2grand new.

If you get a decent headunit, there wont be a need for the Clarion EQ.

I like being able to control everything with my eq. It's just easier to use. In my opinion and have everything set to what I like. Plus I can turn the subs off when I don't want them to play

Adding an eq without an actual anomaly to attack is a waste of time.  The only Clarion eq's I've seen are also pretty pointless.

If you keep the number of variables (system components) low, it's way easier to dial in.

Believe me I used to love throwing shit in the signal chain because it's "cool" or it does that one additional  thing, but if you're buying equipment to make up for other equipments flaws, where did the problem really originate? 

Okay that makes since thank man imma just keep looking around for head units. I'm right now got prv 6 by 9s in the back for now. I'm about buy two 6.5s for the front. Still no head unit but im saving up so I can get a decent one.