Hi guys,

I have recently been saved by a cheap voltmeter plugged into the cig-lighter 12v input.

It showed me I was loosing voltage badly. I found something was burning under the hood. The plastic on the wire coming from the positive post on the battery to the alt was bad, and the cooper was touching a metal part.  I took it off, and now everything is ok. The alternator works as usual.

But now I want a better voltmeter. This one is 8 years old !

I want something small enough to fit anywhere. I won't cut anything in the dash to have it mounted, so I liked the cig lighter plug a lot.

Which model do you run ?

And second question : if it's not something to plug like a cig lighter, what are the best locations to use for an accurate reading ? Near the amp ? On the front battery ? Rear battery ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cant suggest one as Im on the hunt for one myself. But it depends on preference, some put it to the batterymto monitor overall voltage. Others put it on the amp to see exactly what the amp is doing.

And most aren't quick enough to pick up transients anyways.  I like gauges for everything, but as typical they are mostly to see if the status quo has changed.

I don't need it to be extremely accurate. I'm not launching a spaceship, I know it can help to watch " if the status quo has changed." It's how I saw I had a serious problem.

I can buy any one.

Ok I'll get one locally and will plug it on the battery.

I'd like to find another one to run on the cig-lighter plug.

Thanks.

UsainVolt is pretty damn fast.  We are considering carrying them on SSA.

24 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

lol thats a good idea.

3 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Maybe too fast ! :D

I like the $1 solutions.  May not be fast, but will show you a long term oh shit.  Plus you can embed it somewhere how you want.  I did the same with an AFR gauge in my Escalade.  I cut up the factory clock and shoehorned it in the casing.

Bad shot from a long time ago, but you get the idea.  14.69 at idle...glad I am not in boost at idle with that AFR :P

20150617_161543_zpsw7aei5an.jpg

Ebay has plenty ranging from $5-30. Stinger in a popular brand which ive used in my last 3 builds. Works well, just make sure you have one for each point you'd like to monitor ie: primary, secondary and amps