blowthemup

ZCON RE CONE

Sending the Zcon off for a re cone, really excited to get it freshened up and back booming. Will be re doing my build also. Planning on new amp, wiring, batteries, and box. Maybe ill do a build log this time around but dont hold me to it lol. 

Yes, post a build log if you can!

Got the Zcon back today and the thing looks brand spanking new. Really happy with the outcome and big thanks to SSA for doing such a great job. Im still needing an amp, batteries, and wiring to get this build rolling. May be first of the year before this happens, waiting on bonus and tax money to fund the rest of the project. Will update when I get the rest of the things needed.

On 8/23/2016 at 11:03 PM, blowthemup said:

Sending the Zcon off for a re cone, really excited to get it freshened up and back booming. Will be re doing my build also. Planning on new amp, wiring, batteries, and box. Maybe ill do a build log this time around but dont hold me to it lol. 

Did you actually blow the sub, and if so, how much power and time did it take? Or was it just needing a refresh, just curious how long one would last at max RMS. 

10 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Did you actually blow the sub, and if so, how much power and time did it take? Or was it just needing a refresh, just curious how long one would last at max RMS. 

No I didn't blow it up, just needed freshened up. The surround had a lot of stress cracks and a few decent cracks on the underside of it that I didn't like. I made a thread with some pictures a while back.

Edited by blowthemup

Surprised that surround had stress cracks, is it cold up where you are?

41 minutes ago, bluedreamz said:

Surprised that surround had stress cracks, is it cold up where you are?

I'm just north of Charlotte, NC, it gets cold but nothing terrible. During January and February we do get down in the teens at night but during the day it's usually above freezing. I don't feel like it should be having any effect on the subwoofers condition. I let my car warm up for a while in the mornings during these conditions also. However if I have similar issues again then I might consider a different brand subwoofer if SSA's products can't hold up. Hopefully things go a little bit better for me this time around.

11 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

I had a  12 inch zcon on a bc3500 for a year and gave it hell.  With good electrical.  Sold it to a buddy of mine and it still looked new.  The coil wasn't even tinted.  He had it for 1 week and ran it in the same box on a audio pipe 1800 and fried it.  

1 hour ago, ohio45113 said:

I had a  12 inch zcon on a bc3500 for a year and gave it hell.  With good electrical.  Sold it to a buddy of mine and it still looked new.  The coil wasn't even tinted.  He had it for 1 week and ran it in the same box on a audio pipe 1800 and fried it.  

yea those audiopipe amps are garbage - if you even gain match it's still dirty. 

Good equipment pays off, im probably going with ampere audio for my new amp. I like the sundown I had but don't want to pay extra for the name.

24 minutes ago, blowthemup said:

Good equipment pays off, im probably going with ampere audio for my new amp. I like the sundown I had but don't want to pay extra for the name.

twisted sounds is good too if your interested pm me 

Glad it made it back safely and looks good.  Our products have  shown not to have durability issues.  ;)  Just spoke with a guy earlier today who is still hammering on his Icon 10 from 2007.

Definitely not.  My Xcon gets wailed on and basically lives outside.  Not exactly exposed to the elements, but only a canvas over it most of the year and I live in MN...

My gcon was a champ - if it survives in my hands it passes military grade requirements. Put threw it's proper paces and the driver shows no ware. 5* pretty soon i probably run nothing but ssa. 

8 hours ago, blowthemup said:

I'm just north of Charlotte, NC, it gets cold but nothing terrible. During January and February we do get down in the teens at night but during the day it's usually above freezing. I don't feel like it should be having any effect on the subwoofers condition. I let my car warm up for a while in the mornings during these conditions also. However if I have similar issues again then I might consider a different brand subwoofer if SSA's products can't hold up. Hopefully things go a little bit better for me this time around.

Edited by Billy Jack

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Definitely not.  My Xcon gets wailed on and basically lives outside.  Not exactly exposed to the elements, but only a canvas over it most of the year and I live in MN...

If they can survive MN weather North Carolina should be no problem. 

I'm not doubting the durability of SSA's subwoofers. I just think the condition mine ended up in was kind of odd and not really explained. I look forward to giving the Zcon another run and hopefully I will be happy with it.

Edited by blowthemup

1 hour ago, blowthemup said:

I'm not doubting the durability of SSA's subwoofers. I just think the condition mine ended up in was kind of odd and not really explained. I look forward to giving the Zcon another run and hopefully I will be happy with it.

you will be man - i live in ND and it's already 32 degrees here this morning - most winters are 0 degrees all day so if the fi / ssa / ascendent survives it was probably just exposed to some unknown elements. you'll be alright, the zcons are just straight beasts - 

7 hours ago, blowthemup said:

I can agree with you on the odd issues, I had a couple with my 2015 15" Icon and just sold it to start all over. Nothing major though.

Yea it gets into the negatives in the winter and over 100 sometimes in the summer here and iv ran zcons since right after they came out and never had problems . .  Wonder what caused the issues? .

Hopefully it was just a freak thing

What do you guys think would of caused this? The top side of surround showed no damage.

IMG_20160626_172452363_zpsklooemxg.jpg

IMG_20160626_172339621_zpslgw7utsq.jpg

IMG_20160626_172408069_zpssf8rtazp.jpg

Edited by blowthemup

Did you buy it new?

9 minutes ago, frogcase2002 said:

Did you buy it new?

Yeah bought it new and it looked like this after 2 years of use. I have no ideal how it ended up in that condition.

It looks perfect now after a recone but I don't want it to end up like those pictures. If there's an explanation that explains how it got like that then I would love to hear it so I make sure it doesn't happen again.

Edited by blowthemup

15 hours ago, blowthemup said:

Yeah bought it new and it looked like this after 2 years of use. I have no ideal how it ended up in that condition.

It looks perfect now after a recone but I don't want it to end up like those pictures. If there's an explanation that explains how it got like that then I would love to hear it so I make sure it doesn't happen again.

interesting, i would just order a drop in recone. it looks like there was some kind of adhesive on the back of it there foam doesnt do that 

Just now, bluedreamz said:

interesting, i would just order a drop in recone. it looks like there was some kind of adhesive on the back of it there foam doesnt do that 

Those pictures are from before the recone. I thought it looked like it had some kind of adhesive on it also.

I just got it back from SSA for a recone so it's good to go now.