Notorious97200

How can I check a 7500 ?

Hello,

I have a S3400 under the hood, and a Vision 105 Group31 batt in the rear, under my enclosure. I want to get rid of this Vision, anf get an XS battery instead.

One of my friend is selling all his SPL equipments. He had a wall wit 2 18" subs, on 2 huge amps, with lots of batts. (No mids & high speakers in that car).

I think he reached 160 dB : island record for sure.

I would like to know how can I be sure that the XS 7500 I want to buy from him is good. His batteries did not played a lot, they were in his SPL car, going out only for a few comps.

I'm running a 2400 w amp on my sub, and a small IA 3.4 at 8 Ohms on my mids & highs. So I guess it should be enough batts power.

I wanted an XP 3000 or a D3100 but  I could not find any locally.

He's asking some money for them, that's why I want to know if I should make the deal.

What do I have to check on the battery before pulling the trigger ?

I suppose you have done visual  and voltage, I would do a load test, requires a meter or if you can hook it up and run it for a while and take it from there.

I personally would never buy a used battery.  Would have to be a monster deal.

Of course, I look at these from the fishing world.  Used to have 3 in my boat just for the trolling motor and when used 8 hours a day the batteries were shot no matter what after a year.  I should add the day is only in the summer here as I do live in the Great White North.

That being said, if they are truly almost new and half price you should be guaranteed half the life.  Anymore than half and I'd just buy a new one.

Wow your batts only lasted a year? Did you not charge them when not in use or did you just leave them dead cause ours have all lasted for 3-5 years on average. And we used to fish a lot at least 6 months out of the year so they had a lot of cycles on them. The comp battery in my avenger is 3 years old and still has great voltage. And it sets a lot. 

Charged the instant I wasn't fishing with a good charger/conditioner....assuming you trust the Ranger ones.  Was in a 4 year old Ranger 521vx Comanche. 

As for last, I can see that some people would use them longer.  Mine would still hold a charge, but I lost significant speed and charge holding capability.  Considering I live on Lake Minnetonka and regularly have large amounts of water to pound through and windy/wavy conditions it sucked when the trolling motor lost it's mojo.  By the end of the year it was no where near 109lbs anymore and responded like my buddies 80lb trolling motor.

Well I'm in the south so battery's do tend to do better in warmer climates. 

1 minute ago, Billy Jack said:

Well I'm in the south so battery's do tend to do better in warmer climates. 

Where ??

I don't fish in a boat on hard water either :P

5 hours ago, StreetLegal said:

I suppose you have done visual  and voltage, I would do a load test, requires a meter or if you can hook it up and run it for a while and take it from there.

Visually they look brand new.

I will test them with a DMM.

I don't know if I will be able to do a load test.  What is it ? Try to charge and see how high the voltage goes ? I don't understand. Sorry !

The deal is killer : half US price, and I'm in the French Caribbeans. It's quite impossible to have one, here.

I had a killer deal on one of the 2  3400 a shop received last year ! But this one is a better deal, for a way bigger battery.

It seems that this 7500 is wider than a Group 31 battery. I'll find a way ti fit it under my enclosure again. IF I make the deal.

I still need to make some money for that.

Is there a automotive parts place in your area that can run a generic load test ???

2 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

Where ??

I'm in the Appalachian mountains, of eastern Kentucky. They make a lot of movie about the next county over, Harlen. The show Justified on FX is based on it. Ashley Judd is from here to, I actually detailed her Range Rover one time when she visited the local college. She even gave me a $100 dollar tip, and it was barely dusty from being pulled behind her motor home. 

Edited by Billy Jack

1 hour ago, Randal Johnson said:

Is there a automotive parts place in your area that can run a generic load test ???

Yes, there's a shop which sells all kind of batteries near me. They can test all batteries but I don't think I will be able to test the 7500 there, before buying one. The seller won't line the idea. 

4 hours ago, Notorious97200 said:

Yes, there's a shop which sells all kind of batteries near me. They can test all batteries but I don't think I will be able to test the 7500 there, before buying one. The seller won't line the idea. 

If the seller want let you test the stuff I wouldn't mess with it cause you have no way of knowing if it's any good. If he knows it to be a good battery he should have no problem riding to a local parts place and having it checked and doing the deal there. I have used some of my friends stuff from his huge wall builds and it don't last no time they beat that stuff to death. Some of this stuff has a short life span and isn't worth the hassle of buying used unless it's just a incredible deal like 1/5th the price. 

9 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

If the seller want let you test the stuff I wouldn't mess with it cause you have no way of knowing if it's any good. If he knows it to be a good battery he should have no problem riding to a local parts place and having it checked and doing the deal there. I have used some of my friends stuff from his huge wall builds and it don't last no time they beat that stuff to death. Some of this stuff has a short life span and isn't worth the hassle of buying used unless it's just a incredible deal like 1/5th the price. 

Good idea : I can just meet him at the battery shop.

I need to make some local research : we have a lot of boats here, I know there are a few shops selling batteries. Maybe I can find some good ones. I'd rather get a new battery for sure.

I'll let you know what I can find here.

18 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

I'm in the Appalachian mountains, of eastern Kentucky. They make a lot of movie about the next county over, Harlen. The show Justified on FX is based on it. Ashley Judd is from here to, I actually detailed her Range Rover one time when she visited the local college. She even gave me a $100 dollar tip, and it was barely dusty from being pulled behind her motor home. 

Kentucky

I thought you said that you was in the south ??? Well, south of the Mason Dixon line maybe, but nowhere close to the dirty South. 

Thanks for sharing.

5 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

Kentucky

I thought you said that you was in the south ??? Well, south of the Mason Dixon line maybe, but nowhere close to the dirty South. 

Thanks for sharing.

Perspective is funny.  Us Northerners already see the dirty south staring as North as Missouri.

I only consider 3 States in the South.

Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.

50 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

I only consider 3 States in the South.

Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.

Well we consider any place that was in the confederate army a southern place. And what about Florida it's below all those states and redneck as hell. 

8 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

Well we consider any place that was in the confederate army a southern place. And what about Florida it's below all those states and redneck as hell. 

Florida is definitely a shit show.  By your definition MO fits, but some parts of Southern IL should too. :P

37 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

Florida wouldn't know "southern" if you slapped them in the face with it. How I know ?? I have ken folk there. And Florida being "redneck" ??? Now I know you ain't from the south. LOL

32 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Florida is definitely a shit show.  By your definition MO fits, but some parts of Southern IL should too. :P

Stay out of this Yankee !!! LOL

Long time no chat Sean. Still traveling???

45 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

Stay out of this Yankee !!! LOL

Long time no chat Sean. Still traveling???

At the airport right now en route to Holland & Germany...although I'll be home on Saturday. :Doh:

54 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

At the airport right now en route to Holland & Germany...although I'll be home on Saturday. :Doh:

I hope you'll have time to enjoy Holland....(beer, flowers, cheese, and...whatever !)

Good flight.

I'm just hoping my plane home from Paris gets delayed :P  I can ALWAYS spend another day in Paris.