Wick76

Strapped amp question

Just a general question for clarification. I have a single dual 2 ohm subwoofer wired to 1 ohm. If I connect it to 2 1 ohm amps that are strapped, will the sub still see 1 ohm or 2? If it is still 1 ohm, does this mean that the amps will be running at .5 ohms each?

Well how are you wiring the sub .

Most 1ohm stable amps would strap at 2ohm together. Just depends on what amps your talking about.

Ok...maybe I worded it wrong. Let me simplify the question. Let's say I have 2 1 ohm stable amps that are rated at 2000 watts, and are strappable . If I strapped them, this would equal 4000 watts at 2 ohm.  What would happen if I put a sub wired to 1 ohm on these amps? Would this cause the amps to run at .5 ohms each?

7 minutes ago, Wick76 said:

Ok...maybe I worded it wrong. Let me simplify the question. Let's say I have 2 1 ohm stable amps that are rated at 2000 watts, and are strappable . If I strapped them, this would equal 4000 watts at 2 ohm.  What would happen if I put a sub wired to 1 ohm on these amps? Would this cause the amps to run at .5 ohms each?

Yes. Wired at one ohm would be each amp seeing .5

Could they be ran that way? On good electrical I would assume.

2 minutes ago, Liro213 said:

Could they be ran that way? On good electrical I would assume.

If the amps are truly only 1ohm stable then it is guaranteed to fail.  Either way, running 0.5 ohm in a daily driver is a bit absurd.

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

If the amps are truly only 1ohm stable then it is guaranteed to fail.  Either way, running 0.5 ohm in a daily driver is a bit absurd.

yeah I never run my stuff below recommended. But I did wonder if you strapped some amps together and loaded them at 1 ohm, if that was similar to running half ohm on a 1 ohm stable amp.

1 hour ago, Liro213 said:

yeah I never run my stuff below recommended. But I did wonder if you strapped some amps together and loaded them at 1 ohm, if that was similar to running half ohm on a 1 ohm stable amp.

Yes it's very similar, your still putting more current through the amp then is recommended, which can cause problems if it ain't one hell of a amp.