Billy Jack

Frequency vs hertz

What is the difference between frequency and hertz, did a search and found nothing on the subject? Or are they the same thing?

27 minutes ago, Florida_Audio said:

why are you asking?

"The SI unit of frequency is the hertz (Hz)"

hertz is a unit of measurement for frequency

are you trolling? thats why im asking why you are questioning this...

Lmao, no I'm not trolling. Someone asked me, and I honestly didn't know if there was a difference, or if it was the same thing. So let me get this strait, if someone says 40hz, that's just another way of saying that's the frequency? Just to clear thing up I will explain. I have built many, many, systems over the years and competed in meca in the 90's, but a buddy of mine who went to Virgina tech, taught me what I know, so I know how to build, tune, and the basics of audio, I'm just trying to learn the science behind it. Most of the technical stuff I know, I learned from him, or read bull spit online, and who knows if half of that is correct. So if some of my questions sound dumb that's why, I know the how to, but not all of the why. I hope this clears things up, cause I truly just want to learn, and grow my hobby and business, I sometimes do installs at the shop if I have no other work.

Edited by Billy Jack
Dang iPhone is junk

9 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Hz is the inverse of wavenumber normally described by cycles per second.  Anything described in Hz is by default in the frequency domain instead of the time domain.

And what measurement do they use to measure time domain (milleseconds)? I think I'm understanding this right.

Time is measured in time. ;)

Obviously if you are converting to something per second then choosing seconds isn't a bad idea...

33 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Time is measured in time. ;)

Obviously if you are converting to something per second then choosing seconds isn't a bad idea...

I'm over my head in what I'm reading. (Frequency domain/time domain), I'm trying to understand it but it's some complex stuff to figure out on your own, without someone dumbing it down for you. 

And I have 25 years of consulting in the frequency domain at beyond PhD level so perhaps it is hard for me to dumb it down too far.  Read a graph...it helps

20 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

And I have 25 years of consulting in the frequency domain at beyond PhD level so perhaps it is hard for me to dumb it down too far.  Read a graph...it helps

I'm reading, and listening, to a engineer explain time domain/frequency domain, as it pertains to designing a audio system. As far as I can understand, they use hertz as a measurement to calculate the frequency and milliseconds as a measurement to do their mathmatical equations to determine a sign wave as it pertains to frequency and time. Maybe I worded that wrong but it's the best I can do until I study some more, just trying to figure out the basic principals of it and what it all means. Complex stuff.

Are you studying this to understand time alignment in car audio ???

Edited by Randal Johnson
Stupid phone

1 hour ago, Randal Johnson said:

Are you studying this to understand time alignment in car audio ???

Just reading up on the subject. A guy had me tune his system last night and when I was setting his crossovers he asked me about the frequency/hertz thing and what it meant. I knew it was concerning the frequency but didn't know exactly how. Poor guy had his amp gain at 100%, bass boast at 0, sub cut off at 350 htz. I turned the gain to about 60%, cut the sub off at 60htz, and set the bass boost to about 25%. Sounded a lot less distorted and lower, even for a crunch 3000.1, and Memphis subs, the thin series.  

Edited by Billy Jack

Why the bass boost? I never use bass boost.

1 hour ago, jcarter1885 said:

Why the bass boost? I never use bass boost.

I usually don't either, but with his old cheap setup it just sounded better with it. We turned all his eq's to flat, and turned the loudness off and adjusted gains, eq's, and everything first, then we dialed it in to how he liked it from there. I didn't turn it up much, just a click or two but it sounded a 100% better, he had it all messed up. 

Edited by Billy Jack

If it needs boost it is still all messed up.  You don't add boost after adjusting the gain either.

Hopefully something to help you think.

This is an analogous example so I will use exact round numbers.  You have a 100w amp.  You set your amp gain so things are fine at 40Hz.  Amp gain is set to 100w exactly.  You now turn on a 6dB bass boost at 40Hz.  How much power is your amp trying to output at 40Hz now if you feed it the same signal that netted a 100w output before?

And yes, I know it is 6dB more the exercise for you is to turn that into Watts.  Once you do, you won't forget it again... 

14 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

I'm reading, and listening, to a engineer explain time domain/frequency domain, as it pertains to designing a audio system. As far as I can understand, they use hertz as a measurement to calculate the frequency and milliseconds as a measurement to do their mathmatical equations to determine a sign wave as it pertains to frequency and time. Maybe I worded that wrong but it's the best I can do until I study some more, just trying to figure out the basic principals of it and what it all means. Complex stuff.

frequency related to hertz,  herts would be the cycles per second.  so if a frequency is 30hz,  that means it is 30 cycles per second.  the speaker moves up and down 30 times in a second.  is that a better laymans terms for you?

On your graph of Frequency/time,  most people use seconds being that hertz is how many cycles per second.

2 hours ago, Dangrebel said:

frequency related to hertz,  herts would be the cycles per second.  so if a frequency is 30hz,  that means it is 30 cycles per second.  the speaker moves up and down 30 times in a second.  is that a better laymans terms for you?

On your graph of Frequency/time,  most people use seconds being that hertz is how many cycles per second.

Actually, yes that does help. Thank you. And m5, dude has a $20 dollar system, litterely that's what he gave for the entire thing, so a cheap crunch amp isn't gonna sound to good, no matter how much you adjust. And like I said, I set it up, then just gave it a click or two to help it be a little louder, cause that's what he wanted. I knew if I didn't clip it a little and give him as much output as possible, he would crank the gain up and burn his stuff up, so I gave him about as much as I could without burning anything up. If 2 little clicks of bass boost burns anything up, it wasn't going to make it anyways. 

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

If it needs boost it is still all messed up.  You don't add boost after adjusting the gain either.

Hopefully something to help you think.

This is an analogous example so I will use exact round numbers.  You have a 100w amp.  You set your amp gain so things are fine at 40Hz.  Amp gain is set to 100w exactly.  You now turn on a 6dB bass boost at 40Hz.  How much power is your amp trying to output at 40Hz now if you feed it the same signal that netted a 100w output before?

And yes, I know it is 6dB more the exercise for you is to turn that into Watts.  Once you do, you won't forget it again... 

give a man a fish, feed him for a day

teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime

man doesnt learn how to fish, well sheeet, he gonna starve :]

3 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Actually, yes that does help. Thank you. And m5, dude has a $20 dollar system, litterely that's what he gave for the entire thing, so a cheap crunch amp isn't gonna sound to good, no matter how much you adjust. And like I said, I set it up, then just gave it a click or two to help it be a little louder, cause that's what he wanted. I knew if I didn't clip it a little and give him as much output as possible, he would crank the gain up and burn his stuff up, so I gave him about as much as I could without burning anything up. If 2 little clicks of bass boost burns anything up, it wasn't going to make it anyways. 

:roflmao:  :suicide-santa:  Damn shame

I literally threw up in my mouth laughing so hard at this thread. I'm in physical pain. 

1 hour ago, Florida_Audio said:

give a man a fish, feed him for a day

teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime

man doesnt learn how to fish, well sheeet, he gonna starve :]

If setting in a brick ranch almost paid for, :Bling:with 3 almost new cars, all my toys paid for in cash atv, bike, pontoon, jet ski, and systems of some kind in them all is starving, sign me up! 

5 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

If setting in a brick ranch almost paid for, :Bling:with 3 almost new cars, all my toys paid for in cash atv, bike, pontoon, jet ski, and systems of some kind in them all is starving, sign me up! 

You gave up that easy?  Can't answer a question even when it means learning.

You are proving yourself to be the scum of humankind.  TRY.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

You gave up that easy?  Can't answer a question even when it means learning.

You are proving yourself to be the scum of humankind.  TRY.

And what question would that be? You talking about the slight clipping from the bass boost on dudes junk, who cares it was $20 bucks, we will poor gas on it, light it up and dance around it like wild Indians, and piss on the ashes before we worry this much about a 1500 watt amp running a teany tiny clip. He doesn't give a rats ass if it blows, he just wants it to hit good enough to impress some girls. Ow and M5 when so, so many people have a problem with you, it's usually not that the whole world that is stupid, or scum, it's usually the guy you see in the mirror. I have read so many of your old post where you talk down to people it ain't even funny. Honestly if everybody is so stupid, why don't you just shut this forum down, or just ban everyone who doesn't kiss your ass if it bothers you so. You whine more then a women, cowboy up son not everyone agrees with your methods and that's ok. 

It's more fun to laugh at you.