Dved

What do you think about these specs for two ICON 12's

Okay new to the site.  Just ordered two ICON 12's and they should be here in 3 weeks.  I'm working on a ported box and needed some input if someone is willing to help.  I've gone on torresbox calculator and I came up with some dimensions and would like to know what everyone thinks. Or if anyone has any suggestions.  I want SQ but not where it would sacrifice SPL.  It's going in an 08' Escalade.  I'm pushing with a SoundQubed 2200.  I have two sets of Hertz HSK 165's for up front on a PPI 900.4.  I have two new Duracell Marine batteries and just did the Big 3 upgrade.  Just really want to know what everyone thinks on my dimensions and how I should face the subs and port.  I've attached the Torres Box dimensions.  Any help greatly appreciated.  

image.jpeg

Personally, except for the port area being a little on the small side for my taste, I think the enclosure looks great.  Well, for a single sub, are you planning on building two like that or one big box with separate chambers?  2.5cuft of volume per sub would be nice but that much for both would be WAY too small. 

If that's all the space you can afford to give the enclosure then doing a sealed enclosure should be your only course of action rather than trying to shoehorn them into an enclosure that's too small. The icons will definitely surprise you with their response in a sealed enclosure if that's the case. If not then you're going to have to give up more room for the enclosure. 

Thanks for the help.  Oh yeah forgot to mention this would be per sub. Need to know if I got this right too... For my cut sheet I double the width from 23.75" x 2 = 47.5" + add in imaginary baffle at .75" for a total of 48.25"?  Port area is a little small?  What size would you recommend?  It says 12"-15" for ICONS..I'm at 13.91..Also will it change anything by not having a baffle in the middle of the box?  I planned on a shared port in the middle..

May be able to find my specs on here. Mine where 4cuft tuned at 30hz can't remember the port area though. I'll dig around and see. Got plenty loud if you wanted it to and sounded great as well.

2 hours ago, Dved said:

Also will it change anything by not having a baffle in the middle of the box?  I planned on a shared port in the middle..

You're actually get a better response out of pairing the subs next to each other rather than isolating them left & right. With the port shared in the middle and nothing splitting the port you will create unwanted turbulence in the port. Keeping it simple the air from both sides crash into each other and creates pressure as the two forces blend and create air friction when competing to exit out of one opening. Keeping the subs paired close to each other in a common shared chamber almost makes the two act as one. Audibly the change may seem minimal, but you did mention sound quality. Quick visual reference look at altoncustomtech profile pic.

2 hours ago, Dved said:

Thanks for the help.  Oh yeah forgot to mention this would be per sub. Need to know if I got this right too... For my cut sheet I double the width from 23.75" x 2 = 47.5" + add in imaginary baffle at .75" for a total of 48.25"?  Port area is a little small?  What size would you recommend?  It says 12"-15" for ICONS..I'm at 13.91..Also will it change anything by not having a baffle in the middle of the box?  I planned on a shared port in the middle..

Not having a divider should yield more output. Definetly nothing wrong with it.

Okay thanks for the input.  What do you think about the box specs?

Does anyone know what my port area should be on the ICON 12"?

Depends on how much power you throw at it and your tolerance for dealing with port noise.  

To keep things simple, if I were you, using the amp & going in an escalade like you said above I would download the specs and design from the store for the dual ported enclosure. You should have more than enough space to make that happen.

If you were throwing more power on them or limited on space, then you could manipulate the design with modeling another design.

What's on the store as a zip file for dual ported I believe would be just what you're looking for as far as port area, gross, & net volumes.

On sub & port placement, subs up and port towards the back seems to work well in most SUV's.

Okay thanks you for that.  I looked at the specs for the box design on SSA and it seems really off to me.  My port area says 34.8" but this is for one speaker right? So when I double it it should be around 69 sq. in right?

What about the recommended box looks off?

Amusing to me since the Torres calculator looks off to me.  I've never used it, but the interface looks like crap and I am dubious as to any results coming from it.  I personally would use Win ISD pro and model port velocity, but also verified a bunch of the SSA designs and they were all great.

When I plugged the recommended dimensions in the Torres calculator it was no where near the recommend specs for the Icons.  Do you know what the port area per speaker is for the Icons?  

Edited by Dved

6 minutes ago, Dved said:

When I plugged the recommended dimensions in the Torres calculator it was no where near the recommend specs for the Icons.  Do you know what the port area per speaker is for the Icons?  

I think the Torres accounts for wood thickness and not the actual air volume of the box or port. 

What are you basing that off of if you haven't used it?  You're saying that I shouldn't build the box to these specs?

It looks hard to read and if it doesn't agree with the ones on the site I wouldn't trust it.

Just watched tutorial on YouTube and it looks like a good program but I can't download it cause all I have is an iPhone and iPad, no computer.  

If a program doesn't show cone excursion, port velocity, and a frequency response it isn't worth using.

Isn't there some emulator for an Apple solution?  I used to only buy Apple stuff, but haven't owned one of their products in over 20 years.

I found that the new 12" Icon was very bottom heavy with 2.50cf3 .... almost annoying on some tracks

and that program is a piece of shit....... this is for ONE ICON

good port velocity and prophile   ........ I left some extra room for the port corners and a brace

...if you use a double baffle add the thickness to the depth... I'd do more but it's been a LOONG day

image3.JPGimage2.JPGimage1.JPG

Thank you for the design.  Appreciate taking the time for that.  just a question...why does the port look so huge?  Will this fit my goal for loud SQ?  Isn't the above design 19 sq in of port per cube? Shouldn't I be around 15-16 sq in of port per cube?  

22 hours ago, Dved said:

We have an outstanding enclosure designer that knows our subs extremely well and he was the one that did the freebie 3D models that people can download.

Do you know what the recommended port area is for the 12" Icons?

There is no area per cubic foot. Just use the area in the enclosures on the site or model them in a real software.