Dved

12" Icon ported enclosure pics inside!

Just finishing up a ported box I did for my Icon 12's.  Still have to cut out the woofer holes.  They'll be facing up.  Anyone have some suggestions on how I should finish it?  Stain, paint, carpet?  Port painted white?  Or stained?  Any ideas appreciated.  

IMG_6344.JPG

IMG_6348.JPG

Looks very nice.

If you're going to try stain, you're gonna have to get rid of the saw burn on the edges. Not to mention if you want it to look furniture quality there is a load of prep work you're gonna need to do first.

If it were me, I would prime & paint it. Maybe a texture coat to help hide any imperfections in the surface that gloss will amplify.

9 hours ago, Jay-C76 said:

9 hours ago, Jay-C76 said:

Looks very nice.

If you're going to try stain, you're gonna have to get rid of the saw burn on the edges. Not to mention if you want it to look furniture quality there is a load of prep work you're gonna need to do first.

If it were me, I would prime & paint it. Maybe a texture coat to help hide any imperfections in the surface that gloss will amplify.

Thanks man.  Yeah top is just sitting on there, still need to sand it.  Thinking of just painting it, really want it to look nice cause you'll see it from inside SUV

8 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

I like to use Valspar high gloss and sand it and clear coat it then polish it to a mirror shine. Black always looks awesome done that way it shines like a grand piano if done correctly. You will need some spackling to put a thin layer on the whole thing before the paint and clear. And the better the surface before paint the better the results. 

That sounds like it would really look nice.  What do you polish it with when you're done?

Great job, my vote is red port black exterior

I use Greot's all in one buffing compound, then after its all done I use their best of show paist wax to really make it pop. The most important thing is getting all the edges sealed really good, cause wood is porous and will just drink the paint, if it's not sealed good. Plus after you start wet sanding the paint, it would be really bad if any water made its way into the wood. 

Edited by Billy Jack

Do you have the box design still? I'm wanting to experiment with kerfing more and want to build a practice enclosure. Can send you some funds for it if needed..

Very nice work.

Thanks guys.  I still have the design.  It's on a thumb drive at work, I can grab it for you tomorrow and post it on here for anyone that could use it.  

On 9/25/2016 at 9:43 PM, Billy Jack said:

I like to use Valspar high gloss and sand it and clear coat it then polish it to a mirror shine. Black always looks awesome done that way it shines like a grand piano if done correctly. You will need some spackling to put a thin layer on the whole thing before the paint and clear. And the better the surface before paint the better the results. 

Hey man, think I'm going with the grand piano look like you suggested.  Was going to stain it but just looks like too much wood to me.  Do i use  high gloss black?  What type of clear coat do you use?  Also what grit sandpaper and polish?  

IMG_6433.JPG

Yes I use Valspar high gloss black, then just any clear will work, and I use 400 grit to start with, then after many coats of paint, I use 1400 grit to smooth it out. You want to do like 5-6 thin coats, to give it that deap shiny look. Then after I have all the paint, and clear done, I polish it just like you would a car. Polish, then a good wax if you want to really make it pop, and hide any imperfections. I use Greot's garage all in one correcting cream, and a orbital buffer, but I got a detail shop so I already have the stuff, but you can do it by hand just fine, just takes longer. 

Edited by Billy Jack

I looked at the bottle, and it's called griot's garage complete compound, and complete polish, and it say it can be applied by hand. It's about $12 bucks a bottle, but it is by far the best stuff I have ever used. I use almost all griot's products when I detail cars, and people say they actually look better then they did new. Plus when your done you can save the leftover to buff out your ride.

17 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

I looked at the bottle, and it's called griot's garage complete compound, and complete polish, and it say it can be applied by hand. It's about $12 bucks a bottle, but it is by far the best stuff I have ever used. I use almost all griot's products when I detail cars, and people say they actually look better then they did new. Plus when your done you can save the leftover to buff out your ride.

Awesome thanks for the tips.  Do you use  Valspar in the spray can?  Also do you prime?  How many coats of paint and how many do you do of clear?  Also what kind of clear are you using? polyurethane in the can?  Or a Laquer in the can?  Oil based or Latex paint?  Thanks man.

Yes it's Valspar high gloss laquer in a can and also clear in a can. And yes you will need to primer it before paint after you have speckled the wood. Just do a bunch of thin coats that's what gives it that deep shine I usually end up with 5-10 coats just depends on how thick they are. I was trying to upload picks of the stuff but it keeps saying error for some reason.

On 28/9/2016 at 7:03 AM, Dved said:

Thanks guys.  I still have the design.  It's on a thumb drive at work, I can grab it for you tomorrow and post it on here for anyone that could use it.  

That would be nice. Such a beautiful enclosure ! Thanks.

It looks huge on the pics.

Okay pretty much got it finished up.  Went with the Rustoleum Restore 10X.  About $20 at Home Depot.  Did three coats.  The stuff is awesome.  Also stained port with Minwax traditional cherry then clear coated with Minwax spray polyurethane.  

IMG_6450.JPG

IMG_6453.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

:droolcup: Love the outcome of the enclosure, thanks for the info as it gives me ideas for my next box.

Super nice finish.

8 hours ago, Dved said:

Okay pretty much got it finished up.  Went with the Rustoleum Restore 10X.  About $20 at Home Depot.  Did three coats.  The stuff is awesome.  Also stained port with Minwax traditional cherry then clear coated with Minwax spray polyurethane.  

IMG_6450.JPG

IMG_6453.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

Am I wrong or does it have a rough texture, like a garage floor coating? Glad you went with my suggestion it looks great either way, but I usually wet sand, and buff it to a mirror like shine, but that's just me nothing wrong with how you done it either. I do love the way that curffed port looks that's cool. Would look really awesome with some neon lights in the back of that port lighting it up all shiny. 

Thanks guys.  Yes it does have the rough texture.  Changed my mind about the piano finish and went with the ruff stuff.  Yeah it would look good with some lights.  You have any suggestions on those?

Some nice L.E.D rope stapled to the wood would work good. And there pretty cheap now a days.