What should be here and what shouldnt? Screen print with no applications running...

processesso6.png

comparing to mine it looks clean :)

Everything looks fine.

You can disable the Quicktime tray icon by turning it off in the Quicktime preferences, will free up a few CPU cycles.

Additionally, there is a utility out there which will scan your running processes called "Hijack This!" and report any suspicious processes, and enable you to disable them running on your system. It will even tell you what all those other processes are. I think there is also a website called Viper's Lair or Black Viper or something like that (Google XP Process Info) explains in detail all of the necessary processes in XP. You'd be surprised how many of them are utterly useless - unless you are on a corporate network. Gotta love Microsoft's bloated OS kernel code.

No applications running you say? You've got Internet Explorer up, and it's hellishly busy from the look of svchost.exe.

No applications running you say? You've got Internet Explorer up, and it's hellishly busy from the look of svchost.exe.

That was taken before I opened any other programs up. Just sitting at idle. ;)

Everything looks fine.

You can disable the Quicktime tray icon by turning it off in the Quicktime preferences, will free up a few CPU cycles.

Additionally, there is a utility out there which will scan your running processes called "Hijack This!" and report any suspicious processes, and enable you to disable them running on your system. It will even tell you what all those other processes are. I think there is also a website called Viper's Lair or Black Viper or something like that (Google XP Process Info) explains in detail all of the necessary processes in XP. You'd be surprised how many of them are utterly useless - unless you are on a corporate network. Gotta love Microsoft's bloated OS kernel code.

I'll look into what you said, thanks for the help.

Everything looks fine.

Everything does not look fine ... Not fine at all ...

For one, he has 2 instances of Windows Update, which is odd in its own right ... One of them is run under a user account, again, arousing suspicion ... Not necessarily implying the cause, but I'd definitely look into that ...

Two, svchost.exe is overloading the CPU. This process is most likely System Restore given that it's one of 2 svchost.exe files that consume that much memory (other one being indexing, but that was disabled in SP2). The other possibility is that it may be a virus, but I doubt it.

Three, he's obviously not running any sort of anti-virus or anti-spyware program and using Internet Explorer. No AV + IE = death if you click on the wrong thing ... Not to mention the amount of spyware you're likely to pick up with IE ...

Four, Quicktime is a waste of resources ... Uninstall :P