Sign in to follow this  
mannyb18b

My 15" Q's

So I have been suggested to run about 125sqin. or port to make the lowend comeout. Well that would result if a very large box wich I dont think I can fit. I May be able to squeeze 12 cubes out of my truck, should that work?

125sq in to make the lowend come out ?

more likely a certain tuning to make the lowend come out.

more port area helps when it comes to port noise.

125sq in to make the lowend come out ?

more likely a certain tuning to make the lowend come out.

more port area helps when it comes to port noise.

Ok, I'm new to posting on SSA but not new to CA. I current box is 8 cubes after disp. 70sqin. tuned to 28hz......

Going up in size with the same tuning should really only reduce the port noise.

Not with only 70sq in of port with a pair of 15's in 8 cubes...

It can't breathe...it's choking it and throwing tuning off.

Not with only 70sq in of port with a pair of 15's in 8 cubes...

It can't breathe...it's choking it and throwing tuning off.

i'll argue that some...

i know of a certain 18 in 5.5 cubes with 73in^2 of port....and it's cone area and xmax is that of a pair of 15's. (solo x 18 off 4kwrms)

i've also done a pair of 15's in 5 cubes with 50in^2 of port. (treo ss's off a 1100d)

adding area should only help with port noise and not affect tuning enough for anyone's ears to hear. and for the majority of 15's on the palnet that are compareable to trreo ss's, 35"in^2 of port per is pretty damn good. and so is 4 cubes per driver. if the subs are more along the lines of a mojo for instance, then 5 cubes per with about 50in^2 of port will be recommended by most manufactorers. 125in^2 of port for a pair of 15's in 12 cubes? that's going to make for a potentially "muddy" situation.

and how much lowend do you think your missing with 8 cubes and 28hz tuning?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Gained 6dB of output at 29Hz when i opened the port up in the thunderbird 80 more square inches

...length only changed 6"...

:)

but i think it's install dependent, like most anything else.

but i'll say this...

this weekend if time, money is right...i'll build another 2.5ft^3 @28hz enclosure for the truck. i have one now with 32in^2 of port, and for arguement sake, i'll double it.

sound fair? it'll be metered and same sub, power will be used.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Knowing Ryan at SS and his installs, I am massively surprised that you have a lack of bottom end with that box. Although I do agree with Nick that I have seen solid gains from larger ports... but still... the Qs drop plenty deep and still should in what you have got going (port compression aside at higher power). Looks like the thread on CA is gone since I was out of town... but did you ever get a chance to beat on them below tuning to get them broken in some?

From my tests, as well as from others with plenty of solid experience, the Qs dropped deeper and with more authority than what they were previously using (in daily SQ and SQL setups). You should be right on the money.

Other than the fact that they arent doing what they should ;) are they working OK? Build quality what you expect?

I definitely want to get this one sorted ASAP for you...

Thanks,

Scott

Knowing Ryan at SS and his installs, I am massively surprised that you have a lack of bottom end with that box.  Although I do agree with Nick that I have seen solid gains from larger ports... but still... the Qs drop plenty deep and still should in what you have got going (port compression aside at higher power).  Looks like the thread on CA is gone since I was out of town... but did you ever get a chance to beat on them below tuning to get them broken in some? 

From my tests, as well as from others with plenty of solid experience, the Qs dropped deeper and with more authority than what they were previously using (in daily SQ and LSQ setups).  You should be right on the money.

Other than the fact that they arent doing what they should ;)  are they working OK?  Build quality what you expect? 

I definitely want to get this one sorted ASAP for you...

Thanks,

Scott

Ya I have been giving them a good 20-25hz tones for a while now. I'll have to give more of a listen to some certain songs and see if the lower freq. come out more now.

There are working GREAT though Scott, and build quality is great. I have some Q's though. Do these use any of the parts from SX-MT line?

Of course they do... I love those parts so there is a decent amount of soft parts in common with them... but the heart of the sub is night and day different (the motor and coil).

Im as puzzled as you are right now... let me know if things change some after a harder break in... youd be surprised at how much those spiders soften up.

the lower tune the more port area you need for the same output. just as you need more xmax :fing34:

give me some T/s parameters and i ll help you out.

Edited by mannyb18b

Knowing Ryan at SS and his installs, I am massively surprised that you have a lack of bottom end with that box. 

Thanks for the recognition Scott!

I did a little messing around with the port area of Manny's enclosure on BBP. "If" we were to do 8cu^ft after displacement w/150sq^in of port tuned @ 28Hz. The port would have to be ~58 inches long. The enclosure before displacement would be roughly 14cu^ft. But the enclosure size isn't the problem. The length of the port would be the issue. It would be a complicated enclosure for sure.

But like I said on the other board...

"They're very loud, no doubt.

It's not that they didn't have a low end. Because they did. They just don't have the authority like other woofers with ALOT of low-end. It's authority is 40Hz, no doubt.

GREAT F'N woofer for the money, no doubt!

I recommend them to anyone!

I really hope they break in and start dropping low with authority. With that said, it will be a forced to be reckoned with when it comes to the subwoofer market. The high frequencies are brutal. Match that up with some vicious low-end. Right there you have an unbeatable combination."

Ryan, thanks...

I sent Manny an email stating basically that I tested a single 15 with half the box and similar tuning and it dropped like crazy. So, what I proposed to him was to send out another pair of them and see if there is any difference. I will break this pair in some and spec them... then I can use BPP and LspCAD to see what it "should" be doing and then see what you measure. If there is a difference Ill send labels along to get the others back so I can see what the deal is...

Honestly, it sounds like the driver qts is high if that is how the response is going. Only way I can see that happening is if it is a D2 machined motor with D1 coils in it.

So hopefully that sounds OK and you can see what they do in the same setup.

Thanks for stopping by and keep up with the insane installs :)

Ryan, thanks...

I sent Manny an email stating basically that I tested a single 15 with half the box and similar tuning and it dropped like crazy.  So, what I proposed to him was to send out another pair of them and see if there is any difference.  I will break this pair in some and spec them... then I can use BPP and LspCAD to see what it "should" be doing and then see what you measure.  If there is a difference Ill send labels along to get the others back so I can see what the deal is...

Honestly, it sounds like the driver qts is high if that is how the response is going.  Only way I can see that happening is if it is a D2 machined motor with D1 coils in it. 

So hopefully that sounds OK and you can see what they do in the same setup.

Thanks for stopping by and keep up with the insane installs :)

:) can't wait to get to the bottom of this

great to see excellent communication here..i hope the new pair solve the issue once manny gives a thumbs up on the problem fixed i can go ahead with my project for 3 18's.

so are these the same 15's you basicly STOLE from Scott? He sends you something to try because you arent happy and you dont send back the others....instead you claim they did you wrong. Please explain how you were done wrong and how you think your in the right to keep those subs.

cant wait to hear this one.

Sign in to follow this