What are some easy ways you guys have used to gain DB's. Like myself, I found my old camaro did a few tenths better, with the hatch cracked, and the windows cracked, and the glove box open. Just curious what you guys have tried to gain those few tenths. 

2 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

Remove A/C duct work.

Really that gained you some db? I have heard of opening or closing the vents but never removing the duct work. That's a new one on me.

1 hour ago, Randal Johnson said:

Been doing this a while brother.

And to think I'm mainly a Sound Quality competitor. And before you ask ... No, I've never done this to my SQ rides. LOL

I wasn't gonna ask at all. It's kind of obvious you meant a spl build. I swapped out cloth floor mats for rubber in the camaro to I forgot about that until you mentioned the ducts. 

Back when I competed with my 85 Iroc, it had a pair of 12s in the T- top compartment. Back then there was a musical 140db cut off in my class which was easy to achieve. So not much modification had to be done with the Camaro. 

Edited by Randal Johnson
spelling

I had a Fbody Z/28 with 4 square L7 kickers, on 2 ZX2500's, and a hatch full of optima yellow tops. It was a ported wall that did 151.3db in meca in the 90's. 

Sound like an awesome setup. Ran a few Kicker products myself back in the day. Use to love to go up to Stillwater and pick up equipment. 

Dang, I didn't think the L7s were made in the 90s. I remember seeing the old square solarbaric (L5) drivers, but not the L7s ... need to call Jerry McCord and check on that ... 

1 hour ago, Randal Johnson said:

Sound like an awesome setup. Ran a few Kicker products myself back in the day. Use to love to go up to Stillwater and pick up equipment. 

Dang, I didn't think the L7s were made in the 90s. I remember seeing the old square solarbaric (L5) drivers, but not the L7s ... need to call Jerry McCord and check on that ... 

That's actually what I switched from, I started out with the 5's and when the 7's came out I traded them out. 

Gotcha. Had a pair of round comp 15s. Well, still have them in their original boxes somewhere in the shop. Traded them out with a pair of Blues Car Audio 15s when the first hit the market. Still have them playing in my mom's antique audio cabinet. Need to find a cabinet to put it those Kickers in. 

Yea I got the 1996 Z/28 my senior year in high school and began building my system and car a few pieces at a time. It was my only bill so it went pretty quick. Somewhere around 97/98 I got 2 of the L5's and one of the zx2500's, then about a year later I ended up with 2 more L5's and another amp, so I took out the hatchbox, and had a buddy build me a wall in my back seat. We had the batts stacked up in the hatch area, and the amps where mounted facing the back glass. Then some where around 01-02 I think I traded out subs when the L7's first came out. I said 90's cause that when it all got started, but it was in the 2000's before I ever metered it.  Before that I had a Toyota hatchback with 3 12w6V1's and a Phoenix gold M100 and M50. I had several different component sets in that car I traded around and upgraded a lot. I wish Eclipes hadn't went out of business I miss there old head units. Now I use the alpine there as close to the eclipse as I have found but just not the same. Aww those where the days. 

I run Kenwood head units. Had a few Pioneer units, but was never satisfied with them. I have the DNX9980HD and love it !!! 

20 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

I run Kenwood head units. Had a few Pioneer units, but was never satisfied with them. I have the DNX9980HD and love it !!! 

I have never liked the pioneers all my buddy's ran them but I always went for Clarion, Eclipes, or Alpines. I ran a few sony's and kenwoods but they where just temps until I got a better unit. I would like to try one of those new pioneer active units I hear those are great for sound quality. I will probably just upgrade to the alpine 800 dsp with the optional controller. My 137bt alpine is ok but not as good as my last 9887 I had on a 2 way active in my truck. 

43 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

well actually, this is not entirely true. LOL

In the Camaro, I had the Sony 10 disc changer installed with the Linear Power PA2/X03 combo. Awesome Stuff back in the day !!!

5 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

well actually, this is not entirely true. LOL

In the Camaro, I had the Sony 10 disc changer installed with the Linear Power PA2/X03 combo. Awesome Stuff back in the day !!!

I can remember using a Sony disc man on a little stand that bolted to your dash and hooked into your cassette deck. Man those things sucked the least little bump and your music went by by. Even some of the first in dash CD players would skip like crazy just from bass. Basically anything from Walmart, and Kmart would drive you nuts. But we did have some great sounding A/B amps back then, I wish I would have saved my Phoenix gold, PPI,  and US2000X amps. If I ever come across any M100's or MS275's I'm buying them and having them repaired. 

I haven't answered yet because my answer has always been simple.  Measure in as many different variations as possible and then adjust said design.  Works better than any trick.  Obviously this doesn't exclude maniupulating panels, windows etc.  A/C vents is new to me...and would bet not super repeatable in other vehicles.

1 minute ago, Billy Jack said:

But we did have some great sounding A/B amps back then, I wish I would have saved my Phoenix gold, PPI,  and US2000X amps. If I ever come across any M100's or MS275's I'm buying them and having them repaired. 

Come blind a/b my M100 with the little "crap" NVX I have and I guarantee you will be shocked. 

21 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I haven't answered yet because my answer has always been simple.  Measure in as many different variations as possible and then adjust said design.  Works better than any trick.  Obviously this doesn't exclude maniupulating panels, windows etc.  A/C vents is new to me...and would bet not super repeatable in other vehicles.

Come blind a/b my M100 with the little "crap" NVX I have and I guarantee you will be shocked. 

Uhh yea, that's what we where saying. I may have worded it funny, but I meant what could you alter to gain db's. For me it was floor mats, hatch, windows cracked, center console open, and glove box open.  And you even said yourself, if I heard AB power It would be a revelation and that they sounded better, but now it doesn't? So which is it? :okasshat:

Edited by Billy Jack

Sean, for the most part, that's the way it is in the SPL world. Most that chase numbers will design and build for that application. Some go WAY extreme. But when it comes to a tie breaker, you look anxd will try just about anything that might work to get that half a DB over their competitors. 

And as for those old school amplifiers, I have one boxed up I wouldn't mind throwing in that mix !!! I think it's a class AB setup ???

On 10/25/2016 at 11:46 PM, Billy Jack said:

And you even said yourself, if I heard AB power It would be a revelation and that they sounded better, but now it doesn't? So which is it? :okasshat:

Again you can't read.  I said if you do a blind ab comparison you will have a revelation.  You've read me say the same thing three times and can't ever comprehend.  

Perhaps I could dumb it down for you.  Being you are old...take the Pepsi challenge but use amps instead of pop.  That would be a blind ab test.  A is Pepsi and b is coke.  Neither the a or b have anything to do with topology of an amplifier except of course you can use that style of test to compare different amps or topologies blindly.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Again you can't read.  I said if you do a blind ab comparison you will have a revelation.  You've read me say the same thing three times and can't ever comprehend.  

You never said no such thing, apparently you can't read your own text. What you actually said was "you didn't AB?.... you should have, it would be a huge revaluation to you," then I asked what AB was, and Arron answered, class AB amplifier. So now do you see the problem?  And once again we where doing just fine, until you came in with your confusing nonsense, that only you can understand. Even Arron didn't understand what you where saying at first, so no need to come in now, and ADD words to what you actually said, to try and belittle me. And I have switched out plenty of amps, and it's bullshit you can't tell a difference cause sometimes, not always, but sometimes you can tell a difference if their different enough. And even if there was no difference in sound, there is plenty difference in build quality, reliability, style, and efficiency. And that's why I don't like the NVX mini amps, there week plastic little China shit boxes, that want hold up like some of the better built stuff. It's like saying a cheap ratchet from Walmart, will turn the same bolt as one from snap on, but neglecting to mention it will strip out the first time it's strained and the snap on will take a far bigger beating, and even if you do break it from normal use, they will stand behind it, where with walmart your on your own after 30 days. :gay:

6 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

So now do you see the problem?  

Yes you are blind and confused.  Seriously just do a blind test 1x on ANYTHING.  It will shut up your idiotic brand nonsense.  There are so many snake oil tricks in audio sales and you are succumbing to all of them.