TX98Z28

Hello All, Thank You Administrators

I am a new member of the forum, just wanted to tell everyone good afternoon. I look forward to being part of this forums community.

I would like to personally thank the Administrators who got my account to finally work! I never did receive my conformation email but my account works so all is well.

I just updated the forum software, so there were a few people who signed up to join the forums in the last couple of days I had to manually verify, including yours because of the upgrade.  :WELCOME: to SSA.

:WELCOME:

:WELCOME: fellow Texan

What part of Texas are you located?

2 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

:WELCOME: fellow Texan

What part of Texas are you located?

I'm northwest of Cypress. What part of town are you around?

I'm between Dallas and Ft. Worth. Yeah I'm familiar with that area you're in.

Cool, I just saw your location is Arlington, nice area and weather up there. Theres lots of trees, humidity, and mosquitos where I'm at, sucks. Got to love this weather now, best time of year down here, perfect time to start a massive Camaro restoration and system build! 

On 10/25/2016 at 6:30 PM, TX98Z28 said:

Cool, I just saw your location is Arlington, nice area and weather up there. Theres lots of trees, humidity, and mosquitos where I'm at, sucks. Got to love this weather now, best time of year down here, perfect time to start a massive Camaro restoration and system build! 

Yeah the weather is cool here, can't really complain. I'm ready to see this build log.

On October 27, 2016 at 8:40 PM, jcarter1885 said:

Yeah the weather is cool here, can't really complain. I'm ready to see this build log.

Trust me I am ready to get it stared and done! First I have to put my fuel pumps in while the interior and everything is out. Going to go with with dual or triple in tank pumps and do the "trap door" which requires me cutting through the sheet metal in the back to access the top of the fuel tank where the fuel sender and opening to the tank is. Dropping the tank in my year camaro is a major PITA. I don't want to install anything audio related yet when my car is going to be reeking of gas fumes. Lol

The official camaro restoration log will be put on another site but I can link to it. The audio system build log will be on this site. I might do two whole logs for both sites but man thats a lot of typing, pictures, time, etc. 

I still have to figure out what mid woofers and tweeters to go with also. Was looking in to the Sea's Prestige and Excel lines, also silver flute, peerless, scan peek. For tweeters was looking into the scan peek illuminators. Still have to get it narrowed down and list some potential options. 

Main problem is I was planning a SQ build…Well with the camaro getting a cammed out 408 with true dual's that could severely affect SQ so we will see.   

Thank you all for welcoming me to the forum guys! I feel I will be a nice asset to the community. I am personally looking to learn as much as possible and having some fun doing so.

Glad you found us.

Check out SB Acoustics too, I love my mids more than  I did my Silverflutes and their tweeters are top notch as well.

12 hours ago, TX98Z28 said: was planning a SQ build…Well with the camaro getting a cammed out 408 with true dual's that could severely affect SQ so we will see.   

My 85 Camaro IROC Z had plenty of go fast stuff under the hood and a nice system. Just be careful of your weight distribution. 

13 hours ago, TX98Z28 said:

Main problem is I was planning a SQ build…Well with the camaro getting a cammed out 408 with true dual's that could severely affect SQ so we will see.   

That is what sound deadening is for.  378/6.2 in my Escalade with a Whipple and long tubes and it takes to an SQ setup rather well.  What year is the Camaro?

Eager to see what you do and choose.  I like the target list of gear so far...and have owned a bunch of it. :)

On October 31, 2016 at 11:18 AM, jcarter1885 said:

Check out SB Acoustics too, I love my mids more than  I did my Silverflutes and their tweeters are top notch as well.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll look into their products.

18 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

My 85 Camaro IROC Z had plenty of go fast stuff under the hood and a nice system. Just be careful of your weight distribution. 

Weight distribution is a concern, I need to talk to my suspension guy, he's huge into road racing, and how to design a proper suspension, he won 14 national championships so he knows his stuff. I'm running his coil overs he did all the valving on and helped design with UMI and Afco. 600# springs front and 200# springs rear. With that said yes added weight is a concern, especially with moving the battery to the back LH side of the rear and the stealth box is going to go on the RH side where the spare tire and jack used to be, plus the amplifiers with the rack. Then there is the sound deadener thats going down so extra weight is getting put every where.

Good news is as far as weight distribution is the whole new suspension is a road racing suspension and is extremely adjustable to help compensate, tweak certain areas, preload certain things etc.

A very good point regarding the weight distribution. Almost forgot, either going to resleeve the LS1 block with Darton MID Ductile Iron Wet Sleeves or put an LQ9 iron block bored to 4.03. I save 80-100 pounds off the front doing the resleeving but the weight saved from that costs a lot of money, hell just to get the block machined sleeves installed etc. is basically 3 grand.

17 hours ago, ///M5 said:

That is what sound deadening is for.  378/6.2 in my Escalade with a Whipple and long tubes and it takes to an SQ setup rather well.  What year is the Camaro?

Eager to see what you do and choose.  I like the target list of gear so far...and have owned a bunch of it. :)

My Camaro is a 1998 Z28 6-Speed with T-Tops. It's undergoing a moderate restoration with severe performance modifications.

Right now for part of the deadening I got 150sq. ft of 55mil Butyl rubber on a big role, but thats not all going to be used only certain spots, except the rear trunk/hatch area I dampened the whole thing. The sheet metal back there sounded like a big tin can, I dampened it very well. Still deciding on the mass loaded vinyl and the closed cell foam, from what I read 1/8in. MLV weighs a pound for sq. foot and the CCF is only more added weight. Choices choices… but need to do it right.

I bet your Escalade is fun to drive! I love it when they are modified, turns heads thats for sure. How much HP/TQ are you making at the wheels? I could be wrong on this but Cadillac Escalades come from the factory with a good amount of sound deadening in them I believe, did you add more sound deadening to achieve what was except able for your SQ setup?

I don't know about M5's truck, but the new escalades come with what GM calls, advanced sound deadening. I picked one up last month to detail for a customer, and it was not noisy for sure. Black on black, looked awesome covered in Greot's Garage chemicals! 

:Doh: screen name tells me, that I didn't pay attention to.

MLV is more important than deadener, but where there is resonance there is no other choice.  This of course is amplified with headers/exhaust.  IMO there is never enough sound absorption, I'd prefer to not hear my truck at all...until I rolled down the windows anyway ;)

4 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

I don't know about M5's truck, but the new escalades come with what GM calls, advanced sound deadening. 

I am intimately familiar with the lab they use to optimize that...I haven't bothered to have my staff measure mine to do reach that extent of an optimization, but overkill is cheap for me where adding $100/truck to GM is not something they will do if they can help it.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

:Doh: screen name tells me, that I didn't pay attention to.

MLV is more important than deadener, but where there is resonance there is no other choice.  This of course is amplified with headers/exhaust.  IMO there is never enough sound absorption, I'd prefer to not hear my truck at all...until I rolled down the windows anyway ;)

I am intimately familiar with the lab they use to optimize that...I haven't bothered to have my staff measure mine to do reach that extent of an optimization, but overkill is cheap for me where adding $100/truck to GM is not something they will do if they can help it.

Something tells me they want sweat a $100 bucks worth of sound deadener, on a $85k dollar vehicle. Cobalt yes they will, but on their high end models, no they want, but they're doing a lot better at keeping up with their European counterparts these days. 

22 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

Something tells me they want sweat a $100 bucks worth of sound deadener, on a $85k dollar vehicle. Cobalt yes they will, but on their high end models, no they want, but they're doing a lot better at keeping up with their European counterparts these days. 

Lol, you are funny.  VW got screwed for billions saving less than $50 on a part and instead chose to cheat emissions.  They save pennies EVERYWHERE.  If you want to laugh at shitty deadening, pull the floor up on a Tesla.  Their head of NVH even scoffs.  GM is no different, and yes I know from first hand experience and I don't mean from taking already built cars apart.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Lol, you are funny.  VW got screwed for billions saving less than $50 on a part and instead chose to cheat emissions.  They save pennies EVERYWHERE.  If you want to laugh at shitty deadening, pull the floor up on a Tesla.  Their head of NVH even scoffs.  GM is no different, and yes I know from first hand experience and I don't mean from taking already built cars apart.

Cadillac uses foam in wheel wells to deaden tire noise, they have woven materials in their windshields and side glasses to absord noise instead of just tempered glass, they place acoustic shields under the car to absorb exhaust and mechanical noise, and they also have shields on the engine plus some Cadillacs have a systems to measure sound quality and adds bass to help regulate unwanted noises.