sundownz

SAZ-1500D POWER TESTING

REGULAR VOLTAGE TESTING:

Testing by Loyd Lowry.

results from the sundowns...

Test Vehicle.. mine.. 05 aveo..

RMS clamp and dmm, as seen in the 12" test session..

This testing includes recent results, and not so recent..

woofers used.. 2 Mags (1.9 dcr per coil), 2 FI Q 12's (1.4 dcr per coil)

either used 1 sub or both of the pair for loads..

pure 60hz sine was used to tested.. just under audible clipping

1 amp, single 1000ca everstart maxx, factory alt

4 ohm nominal = 518 watts @ 88% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 14.0v)

2 ohm nominal = 948 watts @ 85% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 13.6v)

1 ohm nominal = 1510 watts @ 78% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 12.4 volts

.5 ohm nominal = 1615 watts @ 72% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 11.8v)

.35 ohm nominal = 1748 watts @ 67% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 11.4v)

amplifier was protection happy @ .35 with tones, and some music.

IMO.. one 1500d should be limited to 1 ohm nominal use in factory electrical systems.. for the sake of the car.. not the amp

now... to have fun with some juice..

1 amp, single 1000ca everstart maxx, 1 Eagle Picher 12a5000, factory alt

4 ohm nominal = 520 watts @ 88% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 14.1v)

2 ohm nominal = 960 watts @ 84% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 13.7v)

1 ohm nominal = 1635 watts @ 75% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 12.8 volts

.5 ohm nominal = 1890 watts @ 71% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 12.8v)

.35 ohm nominal = 2245 watts @ 65% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 12.8v)

amplifier did fine @ .35 with tones and music with the added battery

2 amps strapped, with both batteries (for the sake of not typing it over and over... voltage drops from 14.3v, to 12.8 the entire test... lol

4 ohm strapped = 1900 watts @ 82% efficiency

2 ohm strapped = 3150 watts @ 72% efficiency

1 ohm strapped = 3740 watts @ 68% efficiency

.5 ohm strapped = 4425 watts @ 65% efficiency

.35 ohm strapped = 5415 watts @ 62% efficiency

amps would only tolerate a VERY short burp @ .35..

--------------------------------

HIGH VOLTAGE TESTING:

Testing by Sean Belanger

Here's the setup, a pair of Sundown Audio SAZ-1500d's strapped at 1 ohm.

DSCN0080.jpg

In the box used in the test (a single Funkin Audio MF12, dual 2), rise went from 1 ohm to 2 ohms during play. Here are the results:

SAZ-1500d.jpg

Notes:

* Highest power on 16.0v rest was 4663 watts on 14.3v

* Highest power on 16.5v rest was 5136 watts on 14.3v

* Highest power on 17.9v rest was 5677 watts on 15.5v

* 84% efficient on 15.0v and 180 amps of draw per amp

There was a 10% increase in power starting 0.5v higher with an ending voltage being the same. There was another 10% increase when starting at 1.4v higher and ending 1.2v higher. This would tell me that a lowest voltage over 16.5v likely wouldn't be much of a gain from below that.

No matter how ya look at it, tapping the 5700 mark on 15v isn't too shabby from a pair of 1500 watt amps.

---------------

Regular and High Voltage Posts Consolidated on 10-23-08

Original "High Voltage Thread" Here:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7117

in the strapped amp test, was that .35 per amp for a nominal load of .70 or .35 nominal, if so that is crazy. .175 ohms per amp, ouch.

in the strapped amp test, was that .35 per amp for a nominal load of .70 or .35 nominal, if so that is crazy. .175 ohms per amp, ouch.

It was 0.35 nominal, or 0.175 per amp. I don't recommend doing that :)

Damn man.........lookin good.

J

i thought the bare bones model only had a 65 amp alt, which is the version loyd has....

Ill pull up the spec sheet on it tomorrow. From what I found on a quick search, it is 85 amps...

i thought the bare bones model only had a 65 amp alt, which is the version loyd has....

Ill pull up the spec sheet on it tomorrow. From what I found on a quick search, it is 85 amps...

I talked to some people I know at GM and confirmed that all north american 05 Aveo's have an 85 amp alternator.

The strapped test is gonna be entertaining..................

J

well as I read through all these posted tests, it seems that strapping the amps gets more power out of each amp that it would get just running by itself. and probably even more if running 4 of them. I like that, considering you get just the opposite results out of many other brands strapping them.

well as I read through all these posted tests, it seems that strapping the amps gets more power out of each amp that it would get just running by itself. and probably even more if running 4 of them. I like that, considering you get just the opposite results out of many other brands strapping them.

A closer look shows it to be about the same:

2x 1500s @ 1 ohm (this equals 1/2 per amp) = 3740 watts

1x 1500 @ 1/2 ohm = 1890 watts (x2 = 3780 watts)

So the two strapped together produced 20 watts less each - which is trivial and one can assume may as well be a difference of zero.

oops, yeh I was looking at .5 ohm power strapped, 4425, not 1 ohm...lol

jacob how many amps does a single 1500d @ .35

Based on Loyd's test above - 270 amps.

ohh i c so with the use of a battery like an nsb could it be possible to burp it at .35 i know its not recomended, etc but could it be done? the thing is that i have a "match" with a friend of mine that also has a minivan and it has to be 1 batt, 1 amp, 1 sub so i need to get the most out of my 1500d

ohh i c so with the use of a battery like an nsb could it be possible to burp it at .35 i know its not recomended, etc but could it be done? the thing is that i have a "match" with a friend of mine that also has a minivan and it has to be 1 batt, 1 amp, 1 sub so i need to get the most out of my 1500d

Well, let me get more in detail.

With one battery (basic primary) dropping to 11.4 volts @ 0.35:

1748 watts / 228 amps

With two batteries (Eagle Picher added) dropping to 12.8 volts @ 0.35:

2245 watts / 270 amps

With an NSB I assume it would be somewhere in between there... you should be able to get away with it for a burp.

jacob how many amps does a single 1500d @ .35

These sundown amps are sweet amps and I will be looking to buy one very soon. I just can't believe how low of ohms they can and will do..

similar to my electrical setup. 80 amp alt., 1000 ca up front, stinger sp1700 in trunk. my volts w/ 1ohm load drop from 14.5 to 12.8.

i love this amp. so powerful and efficient.

Sweet! lol I might get 2 1500d's and strap them. I got a kinetik hc1400 upfront and a kinetik hc2400 in the rear stock alt. Gonna run at 2ohms daily. With my eletrical would I be okay to run at .5ohms strapped for a short burp. If I understand correctly that would be each amp wired down to .25 brought up to .5

Sweet! lol I might get 2 1500d's and strap them. I got a kinetik hc1400 upfront and a kinetik hc2400 in the rear stock alt. Gonna run at 2ohms daily. With my eletrical would I be okay to run at .5ohms strapped for a short burp. If I understand correctly that would be each amp wired down to .25 brought up to .5

That load, 1/2 ohm strapped (0.25 per amp), requires a great deal of caution and rolling the volume - it is also not covered by warranty.

That load, 1/2 ohm strapped (0.25 per amp), requires a great deal of caution and rolling the volume - it is also not covered by warranty.

Ya ok Ill probably just stay away from that

just a question

how much is the current pull for 2 1500 at 1 ohm each? lest say 13.6v and each amp is giving out 1500w

I got a 120amp alternator and planning to use 3 batteries. Would that be sufficient? This would be for my daily ride.