Mark LaFountain

2008 Dodge Challenger

ESP price

J

I really like this, even though it's a Chrysler product. Only problem is, it's severely over-priced. I fell that's going to be the downfall of the Camaro as well. These were drawn up due to the success of the new Mustang, and they have been a big hit on the show scene, but they're both more expensive than a loaded Mustang and I doubt they'll have the aftermarket support the Mustang does. Hell, the Stang had aftermarket parts available before the car was even released.

I agree with Ryan; however, the Challenger completely smokes the new Camaro in my book.

i dunno. i like the challanger and the new camaro. will they have the staying power of the mustang? probably not. but like always, they'll whip it on the track, lol. also, from what i understand, the camaro will be priced close to the mustang. time for a bit of googling.....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i dunno. i like the challanger and the new camaro. will they have the staying power of the mustang? probably not. but like always, they'll whip it on the track, lol. also, from what i understand, the camaro will be priced close to the mustang. time for a bit of googling.....

Like always? I'll have to strongly disagree here. In the Muscle days, it was really a tossup. I don't think anyone really won that war. There were so many available options, you could literally order a car anyway you wanted it. Early 80s to mid 90s, the Mustang was THE pinnacle of performance. It spawned an entirely new genre in the aftermarket industry. It's aftermarket is rivaled by NO other. It wasn't until Ford switched to the SN-95 platform and kept the 215HP 302 in an overweight aging chassis. Hell, it didn't get a redesign until 05. You can literally take parts from any Fox chassis from 77-04 and they will all bolt right in. The new F-body finally had the performance package with a larger engine, more HP and torque, less weight, and better handling in 93. But they did not sell. I don't know why. They were slightly more than the Mustang, but had a huge performance advantage over them.

Call it whatever you want, but the Mustang has always set the bar, and has continued on and will continue to as an American Icon. It is THE original pony car and all others will simply follow in it's hoofsteps.

i so love getting you going, lol.

i've got no arguement, save to agree with you. from 93 on, the camaro owned the mustang in performance. early on, it was indeed a toss up. and the mustang did indeed start it and with this new go around, reinvent it.

the new camaro will continue the performance domination from 93, it's only challanger will be the challanger. but i see the mustang winning the war, yet again.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

after a bit of googling, i did find something funny. some tool said that the only car in the gt500's class is the viper. sorry, but the gt500 can't beat a base corvette, how in the hell is it going to run with a viper? wow. it's a great car, but nowhere in that league. too heavy, too unbalanced and while the pricing is good, it's just overmatched against anything other then mid level sport coupes.

btw, speaking of vipers, phillip (owner of SIP) is trading his 2005 viper in on a lambo murcelligi, or however you spell it, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

You hit that on the head. The 03-04 Cobras are putting down the same performance numbers on the track as the Shelby.

I do love the look of the Challenger. It's like a restomod.

Nice but I will still take the gt500.

I'm looking for a sporty coupe to buy around the 4th Q of '07. If this thing is out by then it is already on the short list. Looking in the $40-50k range. No more econbox on 'roids for me. Ready for some real performance (to put on 'roids).

The Mustang is already totally ruled out since everyone and their dog has one. Hell, I've even seen 3 Rouschs in the last week or two around here. Liked it when hte new body came out but sick of seeing one of every 10 cars on the road.

Chevy has taken to long to get the Camaro to market ruling it out as well (though I do love me a good SB Chevy).

Currently the top of the short list is the '08 Infiniti G35 Coupe. The VQ-37 engine should be fun. I'll have to see what happens with te GT-R and the 350Z for '08 as well.

I'd consider a Crossfire SRT-6 if I actually fit in one.

BMW likes the 6 series more than I do. Holy $$$! Every review that I've read of the newer 3 and 5 Series has mentioned that the computer in the car gets too intrusive when driving hard and the automation is nonintuitive to use (nav system, climate controls, etc...). Not to mention that IMO the '07 Bimmers are UGLY. Look like a Camry.

I might look at a Lexus.

The Lotus Exige is on the list, too, but it is really too impractical for a DD.

The Vette is in the price range but I would kick myself if I got a Vette that wasn't the Z06, which is well beyond the price I'm looking at.

Any other suggestions that I should consider. Got about 6 mos to shop around before I buy.

Semi thread jack I guess...

i've got no arguement, save to agree with you. from 93 on, the camaro owned the mustang in performance. early on, it was indeed a toss up. and the mustang did indeed start it and with this new go around, reinvent it.

the new camaro will continue the performance domination from 93, it's only challanger will be the challanger. but i see the mustang winning the war, yet again.

But that 93 Camaro is also butt-ugly, perhaps one of the worst looking cars of all time. The new one will be much better, but in that department I agree with Mark the Challenger is sweet looking.

Any helotaxi are you buying new only?

Helo, of those mentioned I would lean towards the Infinity.

Yes.

And, denim, the Infiniti is at the top of the list.

Yes.

And, denim, the Infiniti is at the top of the list.

Even though I don't know you as well as I know most of the OG's here, the Infinity seems to be the most fitting for you of those listed. And side note, HKS is diving full bore into that motor, which really means something since their last major one was the I-6 skyline motor. Plus the G-35 is more attractive than the 350z.

Even though I don't know you as well as I know most of the OG's here, the Infinity seems to be the most fitting for you of those listed. And side note, HKS is diving full bore into that motor, which really means something since their last major one was the I-6 skyline motor. Plus the G-35 is more attractive than the 350z.

Yep, I'm with you on the looks. The looks of the '07 coupe is what made me decide that I "needed" a new car in the first place. Reminds me of the last generation 300ZX which IMO is one of the best looking non-exotic cars ever made.

It started off as looking for a new car for my wife. She had it in her mind that only a BMW would do until I got here to at least look at an Infiniti. Once she got to drive one and got a demo of all the little convenience features that are basically stock on the car, she was sold. She even likes the look better than the Bimmer, which I can't blame her.

While we were in the dealership I sat in the coupe in the showroom and commented to her that "I could live with one of these." At that point she told me I should get one. My wife is wonderful...

The HKS supercharger is on the list of upgrades that will have to happen.

If so, next time I come to vegas I am stopping by your place and we can drive to FI. ;)

If so, next time I come to vegas I am stopping by your place and we can drive to FI. ;)

Sounds like a plan.

But that 93 Camaro is also butt-ugly, perhaps one of the worst looking cars of all time. The new one will be much better, but in that department I agree with Mark the Challenger is sweet looking.

No way man! The latest gen F-body was a fantastic looking car. The nose upgrade in 98 further improved upon this. How can you not like them? They looked fast just standing still. BITCH to work on though.

Like always? I'll have to strongly disagree here. In the Muscle days, it was really a tossup. I don't think anyone really won that war. There were so many available options, you could literally order a car anyway you wanted it. Early 80s to mid 90s, the Mustang was THE pinnacle of performance. It spawned an entirely new genre in the aftermarket industry. It's aftermarket is rivaled by NO other. It wasn't until Ford switched to the SN-95 platform and kept the 215HP 302 in an overweight aging chassis. Hell, it didn't get a redesign until 05. You can literally take parts from any Fox chassis from 77-04 and they will all bolt right in. The new F-body finally had the performance package with a larger engine, more HP and torque, less weight, and better handling in 93. But they did not sell. I don't know why. They were slightly more than the Mustang, but had a huge performance advantage over them.

Call it whatever you want, but the Mustang has always set the bar, and has continued on and will continue to as an American Icon. It is THE original pony car and all others will simply follow in it's hoofsteps.

Sorry dude... The Camaro has whooped the Mustangs ass consitantly the entire time it was in production save a select FEW years in the 70's. The 3rd gen RS Camaro with the 305 could run neck and neck with the GT... the Z28 creamed it.

Also, the engines going in the new Camaro are far more potent than anything Ford has... and that is WITHOUT a SC. Poor Ford can't build an engine to save their lives (or company really, lol). They need a SC just to stay close enough to the N/A Vette just to SEE the tail lights. Even the heavy ass pig the GTO is stomps the crap out of the Rustang GT... With a few minor mods, it'll cream the SC'd GT500. With a SC, it'll cream the Ford GT (and any fool that will pay $150k+ for a FORD has serious issues. The Z06 WITHOUT a SC, and HALF the price destroys it on the track). Hell, with bolt-ons and ethanol, a member of ls1gto.com dynoed 766hp to the tires!

The Challenger won't fail because they are smart enough to offer different trims and power trains... as long as they price the lower models low enough. However, the SRT-8 will be a rare bread. If it weighs what the Charger weighs, it'll be no faster than a GTO, at 15k more. That is over priced.

The Camaro won't fail for the same reasons. However, the top line Camaro will be a GT500 killer, and will run just a tick behind the Z06.

I really like this, even though it's a Chrysler product. Only problem is, it's severely over-priced. I fell that's going to be the downfall of the Camaro as well. These were drawn up due to the success of the new Mustang, and they have been a big hit on the show scene, but they're both more expensive than a loaded Mustang and I doubt they'll have the aftermarket support the Mustang does. Hell, the Stang had aftermarket parts available before the car was even released.

Chrysler is working on getting the price down to below that of a Saleen mustang, I just hope they don't cheapen it too much. Personally I think this car will be a huge success, have seen the concept in person and its amazing. Can't wait till i get mine!

As f

Sorry dude... The Camaro has whooped the Mustangs ass consitantly the entire time it was in production save a select FEW years in the 70's. The 3rd gen RS Camaro with the 305 could run neck and neck with the GT... the Z28 creamed it.

Also, the engines going in the new Camaro are far more potent than anything Ford has... and that is WITHOUT a SC. Poor Ford can't build an engine to save their lives (or company really, lol). They need a SC just to stay close enough to the N/A Vette just to SEE the tail lights. Even the heavy ass pig the GTO is stomps the crap out of the Rustang GT... With a few minor mods, it'll cream the SC'd GT500. With a SC, it'll cream the Ford GT (and any fool that will pay $150k+ for a FORD has serious issues. The Z06 WITHOUT a SC, and HALF the price destroys it on the track). Hell, with bolt-ons and ethanol, a member of ls1gto.com dynoed 766hp to the tires!

The Challenger won't fail because they are smart enough to offer different trims and power trains... as long as they price the lower models low enough. However, the SRT-8 will be a rare bread. If it weighs what the Charger weighs, it'll be no faster than a GTO, at 15k more. That is over priced.

The Camaro won't fail for the same reasons. However, the top line Camaro will be a GT500 killer, and will run just a tick behind the Z06.

That is completely incorrect. The 3rd gen F-bodies could NOT hang with the 5.0L fox bodies. That's been proven over and over again. Matter of fact, at that time, the only GM product that could hang with them were the GNs. Hence the Mustang/Grand National wars of the 90s. The 3rd Gen Camaro was back then what the Mustang has become recently. Underpowered and overweight. The fox-body Mustangs were light and had more than enough power in stock form to hand the Camaro it's ass. AND it was cheaper, and spawned a HUGE aftermarket following. It wasn't until GMs 4th gen F-body that they gained the performance advantage. Lighter weight and more power, not to mention a great suspension. The aging fox-body just couldn't compete.

Mustangs couldn't compete with anything in the 70s. That's the Mustang IIs generation and was a huge flop. With all the smog wars going on, that was a decade that was lost in the power arena and pretty much continued into the mid to late 80s.

As for the Supercharger debate, there really isn't one. If Ford really wanted to design a NA engine to put out enough power to hang with the LS series engines they easily could. Any manufacturer could for that matter. However, it's more cost-efficient to simply add some boost. They have done it quite effectively and cheaply while adding massive power and reliablilty all the while maintaining efficiency, and that reliability and efficiency is the key. Chevy does what works for them best, Ford does the same.

Your comparisons are really off here too. What is the point in comparing a Ford GT to a GTO with a blower? There is none. Yeah, a GTO with a Blower and SERIOUS mods and money MAY be able to hang with the GT in straightline performance, but that's it. It won't get anywhere near the car in a corner, it will never look as cool, it will never have any value. That's like comparing a Vette to a Ferrari. The Z06 has European Exotic performance in a considerably cheaper package, but it's still just a Vette. It won't get the attention a Ferrari will, it will never have the status, it's still made with cheap plastic parts, it still has the creaks and squeaks that Chevy is known for, etc. . .

You can get Bentley-LIKE luxury in a Lincoln or Cadillac for a fraction of the price as well, but it's still not a Bentley. The apples to oranges comparions just don't work.

That is completely incorrect. The 3rd gen F-bodies could NOT hang with the 5.0L fox bodies. That's been proven over and over again. Matter of fact, at that time, the only GM product that could hang with them were the GNs. Hence the Mustang/Grand National wars of the 90s. The 3rd Gen Camaro was back then what the Mustang has become recently. Underpowered and overweight. The fox-body Mustangs were light and had more than enough power in stock form to hand the Camaro it's ass. AND it was cheaper, and spawned a HUGE aftermarket following. It wasn't until GMs 4th gen F-body that they gained the performance advantage. Lighter weight and more power, not to mention a great suspension. The aging fox-body just couldn't compete.

Mustangs couldn't compete with anything in the 70s. That's the Mustang IIs generation and was a huge flop. With all the smog wars going on, that was a decade that was lost in the power arena and pretty much continued into the mid to late 80s.

As for the Supercharger debate, there really isn't one. If Ford really wanted to design a NA engine to put out enough power to hang with the LS series engines they easily could. Any manufacturer could for that matter. However, it's more cost-efficient to simply add some boost. They have done it quite effectively and cheaply while adding massive power and reliablilty all the while maintaining efficiency, and that reliability and efficiency is the key. Chevy does what works for them best, Ford does the same.

Your comparisons are really off here too. What is the point in comparing a Ford GT to a GTO with a blower? There is none. Yeah, a GTO with a Blower and SERIOUS mods and money MAY be able to hang with the GT in straightline performance, but that's it. It won't get anywhere near the car in a corner, it will never look as cool, it will never have any value. That's like comparing a Vette to a Ferrari. The Z06 has European Exotic performance in a considerably cheaper package, but it's still just a Vette. It won't get the attention a Ferrari will, it will never have the status, it's still made with cheap plastic parts, it still has the creaks and squeaks that Chevy is known for, etc. . .

You can get Bentley-LIKE luxury in a Lincoln or Cadillac for a fraction of the price as well, but it's still not a Bentley. The apples to oranges comparions just don't work.

Where are you getting your information from?????? The Fox body was slow as hell. The Iroc-Z of the 80's, and the Z28 of the early 90's had 10-40 more horspower (depending on year) Hell, the Rustang came with 302 cubes, headers, true duals, and STILL only made 205hp. The chevy 305, with manifolds, and single exhaust made 230. Jump up to the 350 for 245.

Here's some charts I found on the net to compare all 3rd gen years of both cars. Obviously Mustang III Started in 79 while Camaro III was in 82, but you'll see the differences (camaro with more every single solitary year) from 82-92... the entire 3rd Gen Camaro run. Also note, that in 1992, Ford was busted for "overrating the 302", hence the reason the 1993 302 is rated 20hp less than the previous years (it was the same damn motor). So, all those "225's" you see on the Ford chart can safely be dissmissed as "205's".

Mustang

mustangratings.jpg

Camaro

camaroratings.jpg

Edited by Mike M

Power charts mean nothing. IT's the entire package you have to look at. Hello. . . If that is the basis of your argument, then why arent' Semi trucks killing everything out there? They have far more horsepower and torque than anything on the road.

As for your "Ford was busted for overating the Mustang" comment, check your information on exactly WHY they changed the rating on it. Horsepower is not everything anyways. The 302 Mustangs had 300ft.lbs of torque which really helped to propel them out of the hole quicker with there LIGHTER WEIGHT.

I have been following the 5.0L craze since it began. The Camaro was not a factor until the 4th gen F-body.

If the Camaro WAS so much better, what happened to it? Why did it go away? Why did it not sell? Why did it NOT spawn an entire new generation of hotrodding?

It doesn't matter much of anything, you simply cannot deny the Mustang what it's due. Everyone hates the Yankees because they are successful. Everyone hates JL because they are successful. You want to pick on the Mustang because it has been a constant staple in the US, and icon. It has achieved a legendary status that not many other cars have. It is noted throughout the world. It started a new generation of car making. It spawned an entirely new aftermarket, it's own national race series and to this day continues to outsell it's competition, no matter what.

The Camaro is and was always a great car. But that is as far as it goes. IT will never achieve the status the Mustang has.