Sign in to follow this  
frogcase2002

coil stuck in gap

Has anyone had alot of coil stuck down in the motor gap before? . . Have a customer that im doing a recone for and almost all of the coil is way down in the gap. . . Just seeing if anyone has any advice on how to get it out . Iv got a little out but just coming out in little pieces . . 

Its an american bass hd by the way

I dont even understand how it happen . . The subs were supposed to be refurbished by american bass and this happened within like 5 mins of playing . Wasnt clipping and didnt get a bit warm. . . Just popped and I looked and there was pretty much no coil left on the former . . Cut open the sub and pulled the cone and shit out and like half the former is all chewed up looking and all the coil wire is down in the gap of the motor

All I know to say is keep getting bit by bit like you have been.

Idon't see how this could have happened without some kind of heat.

My wife locked a pair of Hifonics Brutus subs so bad that to this day they've still not broke loose. Even after messing with them occasionally over the last 7 or 8 years. I've not torn them apart yet but I would imagine that they would have to have the coils picked out in pieces as well.

Good luck with them though. 

I'v seen it happen.... the coil SLINKY's off the former and makes a rats nest in the gap

just a guess I'd say the sub was over exerted and came back into the gap out of alignment...

I had a Soundstream Rubicon 12" that did that very well... I cut the surround and spider loose

and had to stand on the motor assembly while twisting and pulling on the cone to get it out

Never seen cool stick in the gap before, how would you know if you got it all out? Just curious

Looking down into the gap with a flashlight of some sort and sliding something flat and long enough to reach the bottom to feel for and help remove the crud is about the only way it can be done.  Plus an air compressor or similar to help blow the little bits out.