IshbOO

SS in the early days....?

Well let me explain my story.

I had ordered SS RL-p 12s when they had first came out. I'm pretty sure it was Mike's first batch. Old cones. After a week of use, One subs surround started to come straight off of the cone. I had told mike about it and surely enough he replaced it with the next batch, the new aluminum cones no logo. Mike even paid for return shipping! Thanks Mike. Well surely enough about 6 months pass by, not any problems really. The aluminum cone's color has faded from pointing up in my hatch, access sunlight I'm guessing. Pretty ugly. And My Old cone 12 well, you guessed it, starts to come off the cone. It's been around 6+ months now, I've just been running the new cone 12 and have not had a problem with it yet. Pretty much sucks to buy a 230$ chitty sub with defects. Now I dunno what to do. My warranty is obviously through. I guess buying something when they come out isnt a good thing? ps2 xbox360 as example?

How should I go about replacing this messed up sub? DID eD find a NEW CUSTOMER?

That is My story about SS products. Thanks for the 2 Subs I had recieved, and the 500$ wasted, and the hassle to just listen to some good muzik.

But I will stand by Mike and his customer service. He is good to customers, as he was to me in the past.

Image00023.jpg

Edited by IshbOO

uv exposure + lots of heat ?

iirc, there were some problems with the rl-i's when they first came out. it was something related to the preparation of the cone and the material of the surround. surrounds used to detach from the cone. it's the first case i've read about.

i know of someone who beat the chit out of his logo-less cone 12 and the surround is still there.

i have one of the first rl-p 12s, black anodized cone, it's a few years old now. it's seen 2500wrms on occasion, mostly lived life with between 750-1200. not a single issue. no cone/ surround seperating, nothing. i also own the very first rl-i8 sold to the public. again, it's seen several times it's rated power, up to 1700wrms for brief moments, and to this date, not a single issue.

so, while you did indeed have bad luck, they aren't in no way POS subs. like adrian mentioned, there was an issue with prep, but nothing to do with mike or ss. and his subs (like early eDuhs) are made by tc sounds, who had another run in with cone/ surround seperations. email mike though, i'm sure you two will work something out, though it is out of warranty and at this point, really isn't mike's responsiblity.

good luck. these are awesome drivers and it's sad to hear a customer have an issue. but mike is indeed a very standup guy, one with few equals.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Did you even discuss the 2nd sub with Mike before coming on here and ranting? Seems like that would be your best bet for getting things resolved.

I figure since it isn't under warranty I shouldn't bother Mike about it. But maybe I'll shoot him an email. I just dunno really what to do at this point... bad luck fo sho.

But Kinda hard to believe not 1 but the 2 subs that I had received at first both have the same problem....

Edited by IshbOO

well, they both were exposed to the same conditions, weren't they ?

suspect list :

direct exposure to sunlight

bad cone prep

Not to mention add in the odd weather in STL from humid and hott to cold and snowy, just like western NY..........it can mess with the glues used in a sub.

J

Talk to Mike, and see what he says first. ;)

Well I appreciate everyones feedback here. I Will have to spare sometime Tomm, to give Mike an email. The one with the aluminum cone doesnt seem to have any "Problems". Just that the cone faded a bit. Which was my fault do to pointing the subs Up with no tinted glass for a few days :/. But I have had subs before, never had problems of surround comming off the cone. Ill agree with bad the bad prep. But I'll see what happens, If Mike cant help me out somehow. You will see this on ebay in a few weeks. Thanks again for your input.

Well looks like Mike got a hold of me. :) Been so damn busy with school can't spare the time to even send an email. I'll keep you all updated if you would like. Last time this happened, it turned out all good. All I can do is wait and see what happens.

Wow. I am to this day amazed of Mike's customer service. I will have to fill you all in in a few weeks or so. Only pics will do justice :) Let's just say he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now its descions descions descions. :fing34:

that's why mike is my internet lover....

he just doesn't know it, lol.

but for real, his is the bar to which all should be measured. i'm proud to own his products and to call him a friend.

can't wait till your update!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Well. The sub in the first post is for sale. Let me know if you want it.