Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

SAZ-1500D @ 0.5 ohms - Official Thread

ANY AMPLIFIER SOLD AFTER MARCH 31st 2007 NO LONGER CARRIES 0.5 OHM WARRANTY COVERAGE.

Full explanation is available in this thread:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7556

----------

If you intend to run your SAZ-1500D at a 0.5 ohm nominal load please read this entire thread, especially the sections in bold near the bottom. To put it simply at the top... this is a warranty against damage NOT a guarantee that your setup will run without a hitch at 0.5 ohms all the time. I suggest that most consumers run a DCR not under 0.7 ohms for daily applications, and to reserve extremely low impedance use for competition. Read the full text for all details.

----------

The Sundown Audio Warranty is as follows:

Your new Sundown Audio amplifier is covered by a 2 year limited warranty if purchased from an authorized Sundown Audio dealer. This warranty does not cover improper installation*, accidental damage, misuse, abuse, improper wiring, operation of unit outside of listed specifications, or any product that has been modified or repaired by anyone other than Sundown Audio. This warranty is transferable provided the original invoice or receipt is still with the unit so that its new owner can prove date and place of purchase.

All warranty returns must be sent freight prepaid to Sundown Audio and be accompanied by the original sales invoice or receipt. For faster warranty service please contact us to request a return authorization code. At the sole discretion of Sundown Audio your amplifier will be either repaired or replaced.

If no defect is found and the unit must be shipped back the customer is responsible for return freight, if the unit is truly defective the replaced or repaired unit will be shipped back prepaid. In the event of shipping damage due to improper packaging of the return the customer is liable for the cost of all damages, necessary repairs, or replacement. Be sure to properly pack your return!

Sundown Audio also offers a 5 year guarantee to our customers for a discounted replacement unit. We are so certain of the quality of our equipment that even if you are at fault for causing damage to your amplifier we will offer you a new unit at a reduced cost compared to MSRP. Contact us via e-mail to take advantage of this offer, even though we doubt you will ever need to! This offer applies ONLY to the original purchaser of the unit and is not transferable like the 2 year limited warranty. As is the case with standard warranty claims the return MUST be sent prepaid and with a copy of the original invoice or receipt.

------

* - Improper installation INCLUDES not having an adequate electrical system for your audio equipment. If you want to run your SAZ-1500D @ 0.5 ohms nominal and retain warranty coverage you must have a factory battery PLUS an additional deep-cycle style battery PER SA-1500D used. Any less is simply not adequate to keep voltage up.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7116

Look into Loyd's testing thread. Even with a large 1000 CA Everstart Maxx battery his voltage still dropped below 12 volts at 0.5 ohms nominal and you, in fact, gain VERY LITTLE power output with an insufficient electrical system at the reduced impedance.

With an additional battery Loyd maintained 12.8 volts. Loyd's battery is HUGE... but a regular 1000 CA deep cycle in addition to your factory battery should be sufficient to maintain over 12 volts at this load with a factory alternator.

If you have a high output alternator of 160+ amps and a single LARGE deep cycle like an Group 31 Optima or similar, Kinetik 2400, etc as your primary starting battery / system battery then you are also good for warranty coverage.

------

(Re-Posting of Original Thread)

After extensive testing at NOPI Nationals I have decided to extend warranty coverage down to 0.5 ohms on the SAZ-1500D wired to non Stereo Integrity subwoofers as well as SI woofers. We ran Hoss' truck for around 10-12 hours total over the course of the weekend beating the tar out of his BM 12s with his pair of 1500Ds at 0.5 ohms and only hit protection twice all weekend as the voltage creeped down to 10.5 volts or so. So, any normal person should not have an issue provided adequate ventilation is present (and adequate voltage supply).

Suffice to say... they are fairly stable at 0.5 ohms nominal, so I will henceforth warranty this load on all drivers and not just SI subwoofers. This is not a recommendation to run at this load as it is a tougher load for the amplifier, but it is a notice that I will repair or replace your SAZ-1500D if it totally dies at this load.

A word of advice... leave a good bit of room around the amps at this load as they will get very hot after extended periods of time -- switchable fans may be a good idea if you have limited airspace around the unit. Pushing your unit into thermal protection due to an inadequate or improper install, or due to an in-box impedance that is too low is not a warranty issue, it is on you. Be responsible!

DO NOT try to go below 0.5 ohms. I know it's tempting to try to take it "just a bit farther," but you will void your warranty no matter what speakers you have. Loads under 0.5 ohms are absolutely untested and I do not endorse, guarantee, or advise wiring anything below 0.5 ohms to these amplifiers.

I also caution anyone attemping this load with non-SI subwoofers that I have not officially tested it on these other drivers and some drivers with lower inductance (eg: XBL^2 drivers and other low inductance designs) MAY not run properly at a 0.5 ohm nominal load. I will cover your amplifier if it is damaged, but I do not guarantee that you will not push it into thermal or overload protection on speakers that I have not tested it on -- at this time meaning anything other than the SI line.

Continually pushing your amplifier into protection over and over again due to improper voltage, ventilation, or a load that is too low is considered abuse for warranty reasons. If you are unsure of how to properly install your amplifier for 0.5 ohm operation please consult a professional installer for the necessary electrical upgrades and to ensure that you have adequate ventilation.

The most thoroughly tested loads have an Re above 0.43 ohms. If you put a DMM on your load and it is below 0.43 ohms you may have problems running at 0.5 ohms nominal and I do not recommend doing so for extended periods of time (daily operation).

Sign in to follow this