Sign in to follow this  
FiAudioSubwoofersjj

Kenwood kdc 138 head unit

I have an old KENWOOD kdc138 in my Mazda Tribute currently .. It only has one pre-out which the manual says the pre-out is for the rear/sub signal out .. Currently I have a mono block that is receiving the signal from the pre-out. What I want to do is add an external amp for the front and rear with still keeping my mono block. How can I do this all with only one pre-out? Another question is what is the difference between the front signal and rear signal pre-outs on a receiver that has multiple pre-outs?

Front & Rear depend on your fader settings.  Generally other than that they should be the same.

As long as they don't have a sub crossover on them you can just get an RCA Y splitter and send the signal to both amps.  You will lose "balance" control between the amps, but it saves you from buying a HU.

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

Front & Rear depend on your fader settings.  Generally other than that they should be the same.

As long as they don't have a sub crossover on them you can just get an RCA Y splitter and send the signal to both amps.  You will lose "balance" control between the amps, but it saves you from buying a HU.

Cool I keep my fader settings at neutral anyways .. So since the front signal and rear signal pre-outs have the same frequency range .. All I have to do is use the rca splitter to send a pair of rca connects to the amp for the fronts/rear and then the other to the mono block ?

Tears are a waste so once you add an amp you will want to fade forward or unplug them.

Bluetooth is cheapest to add by replacement...

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Tears are a waste so once you add an amp you will want to fade forward or unplug them.

Bluetooth is cheapest to add by replacement...

What do u mean tears are wasted?

Spell check ftmfl.  Rears are useless...they bring me to tears perhaps, but I didn't mean to type tears.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Spell check ftmfl.  Rears are useless...they bring me to tears perhaps, but I didn't mean to type tears.

Oh .. Hahaha.. how are rears useless?

Edited by FiAudioSubwoofersjj

Ok, useless may not be the right word.  They ruin how the stereo sounds.  They are a net negative.  Destroy the frequency response and stage which of course is hard enough without them in the first place.  I

52 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Ok, useless may not be the right word.  They ruin how the stereo sounds.  They are a net negative.  Destroy the frequency response and stage which of course is hard enough without them in the first place.  I

So I should just send the rear preamps to the fronts and just keep two front?

Use the rear pre-amp to a splitter and have it run into both the sub and front amp.  Unplug the rears, ignore them whatever...