codester

Advice on budget Receiver

Looking for some advice on a budget Home Theatre Receiver.

I currently have a soundbar and sub and its not bad but would like something better, 

Main goal is probably for music but will also be watching movies etc but would rather it sound great on music then be amazing on Movies.

Usually I would have done more research but Christmas is coming up so I need ideas for the Wife and family.

Budget is max of around $400 Canadian for a decent receiver and ill pick up some used speakers and then later I will build a couple towers

and a sub with separate components. Is a receiver with 70rms enough for a decent set of towers or is home audio like car audio and I could run the speaker wire to a separate amp in the towers?

Im currently interested in a Denon AVR510BT 5.2 receiver as it has good reviews, Bluetooth and the two sub output couldbe handy if I wanted a sub for HT and a different for music. 

My main question is is this going to be decent enough to expand over time? I know I wont have the 7.1 for expanding to multiple rooms etc but thats just not in my Christmas budget. Also my livingroom is tiny right now and doubt my next house will have a very big one either.

Any tips or suggestions?

At that budget I'd shop Craigslist personally.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Something with hdmi inputs would be nice.

70 w rms : that should be more than enough.

On December 3, 2016 at 11:11 AM, ///M5 said:

Been looking for awhile now and everything is pretty old and close to the price this Denon is. I'll b shopping craigslist for temporary speakers and subs. I like having the Bluetooth too as my wife uses it to listen to music while she's cooking etc so going with an older receiver I'll lose that. Just wanna know am I limitting future upgrades a lot with this budget of receiver or will it be good enough as long as I don't want 7.1 or something super crazy? Just wanna make sure I'm not missing some thing I should be looking for in a receiver I'm missing or wattage and extra features basically it?

Cost of ownership is purchase price minus selling price.

Are you missing something?  What will it cost you?

I do find it funny the percentage of 5/7 channel amplifiers are run in 2 channel mode.  Personally I run mine in 3, but just no way for rears in my normal sitting room.

great update man!

I personally have a Sony rcvr since I wanted more connections/home theater usage without breaking the bank. 

It is 7.2 and I currently am powering 2 towers and a center made by Canton (most don't know that name) . As well my setup has 2 Canton subs which work great together but I'm usually only using one at a time depending on what I'm doing. For movies both sound pretty great but music one of them just can't handle the output some of what I listen to has. 

5 hours ago, codester said:

Just wanted to update for anyone that looks in the future, I ended up going with a Denon AVR-S510BT 5.2 amp and love it so far, 2 sub outputs, 5 or more HDMI inputs, Bluetooth audio and a really cool app that you can download and control through Bluetooth, you can turn on the amp, switch inputs and change volume through your phone. Also picked  up a JBL 12" sub with 250rms amp and some Mission 782 towers used for $300. have a cheap center and rears but sounds good for music and Home theatre, I may build a new sub tuned lower in future for HT lows but its plenty good for me for now. Id definitely recommend going this route and slowly building up the system vs home theatre in a box as Im into it for $600 CAD and kills any systems ive heard in that price range.

On 1/5/2017 at 4:45 PM, Shogen said:

great update man!

I personally have a Sony rcvr since I wanted more connections/home theater usage without breaking the bank. 

It is 7.2 and I currently am powering 2 towers and a center made by Canton (most don't know that name) . As well my setup has 2 Canton subs which work great together but I'm usually only using one at a time depending on what I'm doing. For movies both sound pretty great but music one of them just can't handle the output some of what I listen to has. 

Nice, ya part of me wishes I would have went 7.2 since we are planning on moving and buying a bigger house next time but plenty happy with it. My plan is slowly upgrading and just found a 300rms Bash amp for sale for around half of new 30 mins from me so might try building a sub box, have a Sundown E12 laying around. Also Shogen, hows the output of your 15" Xcon? I have 2 Xcon 12s that were old and the spider rotted and are shot so was thinking about reconing 1 to a 15 and just running that instead of the 2 12s as I cant afford doing that have a AQ2200 to power it. Also what do you have it tuned at? I had my 2 Icons at 32hz and was nice but my 2 XCon 12s were at 29 and that was pretty low.

I used to have my Xcon powered by a Crescendo bc3500D.... so your AQ2200 should be perfectly fine if you recone to a 15". Too bad your 12's are no bueno I could've had use for the smaller size.

My Xcon has always been in a sealed enclosure slightly bigger than recommended at 3.28 cubes for a little lower extension. It was amazing since my camry had a huge trunk. 

Now I have Mazda 3 hatch and need to find smaller amps to power the beast and also shrink the enclosure by quite a bit so I still have storage. lol

10 hours ago, codester said:

Nice, ya part of me wishes I would have went 7.2 since we are planning on moving and buying a bigger house next time but plenty happy with it. My plan is slowly upgrading and just found a 300rms Bash amp for sale for around half of new 30 mins from me so might try building a sub box, have a Sundown E12 laying around. Also Shogen, hows the output of your 15" Xcon? I have 2 Xcon 12s that were old and the spider rotted and are shot so was thinking about reconing 1 to a 15 and just running that instead of the 2 12s as I cant afford doing that have a AQ2200 to power it. Also what do you have it tuned at? I had my 2 Icons at 32hz and was nice but my 2 XCon 12s were at 29 and that was pretty low.