theabunai

2 SSD 12

Chris has set the bar so my turn :lickscreen:

Vehicle info

- Vehicle - Scion tC hatchback 2007

- Power - Stock Battery, Stock 100 amp Alt, Optima yellow top 34/78 In the rear

System info

- Sub woofers - 2x Fi 12" SSD D2 with copper coil option

- Amps - 2x US Amps MD.1D (RMS 1,000 watts avg. @ 13.6 V each sub @ 1ohm)

~Also tested with 2 soundstream rubicon 502 amps (RMS 500 watts avg. @ 14.4 v @ 4ohm)

Enclosure info

- Enclosure - Currently 1.05 cubic feet per sub (after all displacement)

Also Sealed enclosures used were 1.2 per sub and a ported 2.0 @ 33hz sloted

- Sub placement - Facing UP in the rear hatch Also tried facing REAR of hatch

Comparison info

- Subs I have used extensively - JL w6, Kicker Comps CVS/CVX, Infinity 12, JBL 12

Songs used:

- Daily driving (i tested for daily driving since that is what my system is geared to do) - Showstoppers - Danity Kane, Airforce - Young Jeezy, Mariah Carey - Hero

the Review

First off, normal reviews just dive right into the subs "sound" or "performance" but, like Chris's review found @ Fi Q 12 Reviewed, I need to comment on the "buying" portion of the experience... After all it all ties into to total "EXPERIENCE" of the sub...

Pre-buying - First of all, Scott is the most patient man in car audio sales... gee i must've sent him 4 or 5 emails about the sub, some questions asked time and time again and the guy just kept answering them in such a professional yet friendly manner (like if he lived next door to me or something). already i'm feeling confident about getting this sub.

Purchase made - yupp went ahead and did it.... The tracking info was emailed to me with-in 24 hours with estimated date arrival (i'm sure this is a case by case basis). impressed and at ease knowing i can track my subs online...

Arrival - WOW they were packed so good, I was shocked at the care and attention to detail just the packing was done in. I felt confident already. (yes i saved the boxes in case i need to send them back for a recone or anything else that may come up ~ I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS). Subs were beautiful :takepix:

packingfi.jpg

REVIEW...

Sub woofer Build

this sub was built with utmost care and attention to detail... I have only "heard" (Rather READ) other people say these subs were excellently built.... but there is nothing like seeing it for yourself..

magnet.jpgsubbasket.jpg

dustcap.jpg

500 Watt Review

500 watts per sub review NO electrical upgrades made-

So me and my buddies (all installers) decided to make 2 boxes. 2 sealed (1.2cuft & 1.0cuft) and 1 ported (see above).

We drop them in and hook them up to 2 rubicon 502 (500 Watts bridged for each sub, UNDER the subs RMS value of 800).

We tried all sub enclosures and to the EAR, the sealed 1.0 sounded the richest and deepest.

Holy mother of god they sounded so damn loud. I couldn't believe what i heard and felt...

With only 500 watts these thing pounded. you can feel your throat tickle and a little discomfort in your inner ear. I couldn't believe it.

Cons - For my enclosure and power the upper end 60hz - 100hz were played slightly softer than my previous subs. It wasn't as loud as the lower half and seemed as if someone turned my gains down. Still pretty accurate at the Higher frequencies..

Pros - The low end was utterly amazing with this sub and enclosure. 35-55 Hz were loud and very accurate. Not just BOOM but BOOOOOOOM low end dragging shake your booty bass.... LOUD and very evident that this sub loves to accentuate the low end of the scale...

Now in comes the big guns. I didn't expect it to sound so good and the problem that this caused was i felt the freaking need to feed these things RMS. If they sounded this good a 500 watts (well more like 400 since my electrical wasn't upgraded and voltage would drop to 11.8 - 12V at times)

I went ahead and ordered the 2 1K watt amps (hey nick knows, Overhead isn't a BAD thing when played safely, cleaner signal since gains can be set lower).

1000 Watt per sub review - Battery in the back for sub amps..

does Fi know their subs or do they know their subs. all the people who ask "what should i make the box" "How much power" should really take into account the companies recommendations found on the site, cause what i thought was loud and low at 500 watts was NOTHING in comparison to 1000 watts. Jesus christ what a dramatic change. the sub was just so bad ass. the lows were just so clear and much louder,

the subs seemed to be in so much more control of its extension accuracy at this level.. I never thought that such a dramatic change could occur by feeding this thing it's recommended power. Not only did i hear a distinct improvement in everything from accuracy to sound but even the higher end frequencies seemd to come more "alive".... though still softer then the targeted 35-55 hz, the sub played the higher end with BETTER control with this wattage... It didn't sound like it was struggling to play the note anymore but rather played it effortlessly... Physical altercations, vibrating the throat and ear, hair moves, clothes move, with the windows up VERY uncomfortable pressure in the ear. Chest pounding... Just AWSOME..

Cons - Man i wish i could feed this thing more power. but that is not a performance issue. though i do wish that the flatwind coil AND copper coil could be incorporated together...

Pros - Unbelievable loudness and low end with this sub, Able to shine in ported AND sealed enclosures. Exhibits good control and accuracy even at high excursion. Best of all, I didn't have to sell ANY of my kids to get a pair !! :fing34:

Any questions let me know

Coming up

A big ALOHA goes out to Scott AKA Fi Car audio (I'm gonna break your patience one day LOL), Nick AKA NDMstang65 (i swear i go to you for everything LOL) and Shawn Flemming for just trolling these forums and helping everyone out......

Full review of the Ported enclosure with the new amps WOOT WOOT :thanx:

Edited by theabunai

What did you prefer? The sealed enclosure or the ported?

Great review, thanks man!

Awesome review. Sounds like you are happy with them.

Have you thought about a sub up port back configuration for the ported enclosure? Just wondering how the tc would respond to that type of config. I am very interested to know how it turns out. :)

Thanks...

Edited by Chris

I preferred the sealed option after hearing all three boxes, 1.0 cubic feet was musically impressive..

though i am almost 90% positive the ported enclosure would yield louder numbers but to the ear musically the sealed was so rich and hit hard (plus at 1ohm the damping factor is lower so the sealed enclosure helps control a bit)

Actually Chris, that was exactly how we made the ported enclosure (per Scotts recommendation) we did the "CRX" style ported subs up port back on the drivers side.

We are going to swap out the enclosure in two weeks to a new ported that will yield 33hz tuning with 44 square ft of port area. roughly 4.0 after all displacement for both subs in a common chamber...

I will post the review once it is done and we are done pounding the crap out of the sub..

i'm feeding this bad boy close to 950 true RMS and i could've sworn i heard it burp "is that all you got" :ready2go:

Same here, i love my SSD in the 1.1 cube sealed box i have :)

Sounds damn good

I preferred the sealed option after hearing all three boxes, 1.0 cubic feet was musically impressive..

though i am almost 90% positive the ported enclosure would yield louder numbers but to the ear musically the sealed was so rich and hit hard (plus at 1ohm the damping factor is lower so the sealed enclosure helps control a bit)

Actually Chris, that was exactly how we made the ported enclosure (per Scotts recommendation) we did the "CRX" style ported subs up port back on the drivers side.

We are going to swap out the enclosure in two weeks to a new ported that will yield 33hz tuning with 44 square ft of port area. roughly 4.0 after all displacement for both subs in a common chamber...

I will post the review once it is done and we are done pounding the crap out of the sub..

i'm feeding this bad boy close to 950 true RMS and i could've sworn i heard it burp "is that all you got" :ready2go:

I can't wait! :woot:

Thanks for the review, I have (2) of the ssd12's coming monday. I was thinking ported, I have Zapco power @4ohms with a killer damping factor on the Studio 500 (so its rated) Wow 44sq. ft. of port., thats a small bath room there :fing34: J/K

thanks for taking the nice to do a nice review and its clearly written (or typed)

Excellent review. I'm thinking about doing a trio of SSD10s in my next car.

My only complaint (a minor one) about my whole experience with my Q12 was the packaging. Maybe the UPS guys played rugby with it or something but the box was beat up when the sub arrived.

how well does the sub handle "quick" notes and transients? also mine will be in the cab of my truck with me so is there any mechanical noise? i had a treo ssi that was awesome when in the trunk but very mechanical sounding if in the cab with you.

"quick" do you mean changes in frequency at a fast past like say from 40hz to 35hz to 32 hz rather fast ?

If so it handled it pretty well.... Perfect example would be some techno songs.. or a song from boys-to-men have this type of bassline quickly shifting from one note to another.... I hear no lag time or off beat line the sub plays them well...

As for mechanical noise... funny you should ask

I had the subs facing up in the get go but i could hear what i thought was mechanical noise so I tried to face the subs to the rear (as indicated in my review above) and i heard this distinct noise but underlying.... It sounded as if something was hitting the subs cone like if you held a piece of cardboard a 1/4" away from the cone and when it would excursion the cone would hit the cardboard.... I thought it was mechanical noise from the sub so i had to investigate....

I pulled the hatch up and played the subs working my way up the volume ladder to see when i was getting mechanical noise (god i love my alpine remote) and to my surprise there was none....

I tracked it down..... What had happened was one of the panel that surround my hatch window was rattled out of it's location from the pressure.... Apparently, The subs rattled the panel pins out of the panel and it was just flailing about... I lost the panel pins so now i gotta go back to the dealer for new ones...

So PERSONALLY my subs show no signs at full RMS of mechanical noise what so ever...

My JL used to make a lot of noise and tracked it down to tinsel lead slapping..

Scott and the team makes such a great sub that they know this and put this beautiful kinky felt cloth on the underside of the cone right above the tinsel leads so that if the tinsel does hit the cone during excursion it doesn't make noise cause of the felt cloth... :takepix: I had pictures of this prior to the forums reset..

BUT

DAMN IT SCOTT AND NICK OWE ME SOME PANEL PINS... I DIDN'T SEE ANY DISCLAIMER THAT STATES.....

WARNING !! SUBS MAY LOOSEN OR RATTLE CAR PANELS OUT OF PLACE.....

not to mention i almost lost a screw in my license plate holder

*note to self NEVER put your plates on with a hand held screw driver when you are feeding your Fi subs 2K facing the rear*

*note to self need to remove that folded cardboard behind my license plate and replace it with deadening material*

nice review

i wonder wat it would do on the meter

80inches

You know i always call my old install shop to get the termlab out and ready to meter (they have termlab AND Audiocontrol). I want to do both...

and that's when i decided to upgrade.

Called again to meter but now we are building a new box...

I PROMISE i will meter this thing and post pics along with numbers to verify what i am hitting....

I should meter the sealed first then meter the ported to see what type of gain/loss I am getting with the different enclosures...

I can't wait for my 15" SSD! Just sent my payment, and it shouldnt be longer than a couple weeks! Im putting it in a 3.5 Cuft box tuned to 33 hz. Should majorly bump!

Wanger you will be happy and the sub may surprise you !!

I have had JL's and prior to my SSD i had Kicker CompVX's (about same wattage RMS for the SSD and CompVX )

I was a kicker abd JL (my last sub was a w6) nut hugger after having both JL and kicker i thought kicker really has set the bar for spl(and i still love their products) but when i put the SSD in all i could say was WOW... I didn't expect much of a difference but boy was i HAPPILY surprised.... Same wattage (well the 500 watts anyways) and the ssd was so impressive.... I have to admit i was Leary at first since where i live nobody could demo the Fi sub for me. So i went out on a limb and now i have no regrets... And i'm sure you won't either

Edited by theabunai

Thanks, im sure I will be happy with them as well, I am coming from 2 12" RF P1's, and the SSD should murder them easily.

Only problem with your response is, your making me want them even more! Haha, glad your happy. My friend has 2 12" CVR's, they sound ok, but im sure my 1 15" SSD will be better in SQ, and get much louder...agree?

Oh whole heartedly i agree they should be louder If I am not mistaken the CVR's can only handle around 400 RMS compared to the SSD 800 RMS....

From my EAR and vehicle stand point, the kickers play at a higher Frequency.. meaning they were louder in the 55-100 hz range... where the SSD (and EXACTLY what i wanted) played exponentially louder in the lower range of 30-50hz range..... We did throw my box in his 4 runner and WOW the SSD's really were louder with just a box swap...

I love the low extension they give me, the kickers played a little to high for what i wanted.... so that gave it a punchy rubber band type bass sort of like Bom Bom bom where as the Fi's go Boooom Booom Booom

I compared songs as well to

Where DJ laz maMami El Negro (i believe the base is around +60hz) was louder with the kickers though punchy sounding and sort of all over the place (i can't really explain it other than it sounded like the control wasn't there)

the SSD played them softer but with more control (SQ) (with the same 500 watts now with the RMS 1000K they effortlessly killed CVX/R)

BUT with Danity Kanes Showstoppers the kicker sounding like it was flailing about and much softer in this range (I think 35-45hz)

This was not a direct swap for swap and we actually tested the JL w6 box for box after the first install so my kicker comaprison is from memory....

Where the SSD just totally WANG the chit out of this song... i mean i didn't even like Danity Kane but now this song (and Young Jeezy Air force) is my demo songs....

I am talking for the first time i have had sounds, has my ass cheeks and lower hips actually rumbled.

Like i said though I wish i could get the flatwind and coppercoil together oh dear god. WANG WANG WANG

End point - Scott is one crazy bastard for selling a sub that performs at this level for the price he list them at.....

Edited by theabunai

End point - Scott is one crazy bastard for selling a sub that performs at this level for the price he list them at.....

Don't tell scott that! ;)

Don't tell scott that! ;)

Shhhhhhhhh! delete delete delete!!! :D

Don't worry I've used the jedi mind trick on him

*Waves hand in front of Scotts face* "There is no low price!!"

Awesome Review. :thanx: I really need to get off my ass and order one of these things. Problem is that, I am not trying hard enought to cook my current 8" pioneer. :poop:

2003blkhemi

Get one SSD 10" and wang the hell out of it...

Hell i been trying to wang the hell out of my 12's and well lets just say

12" SSD - 2pts Theabunai - 0pts

Scott, thanks for making it hard for me to break this sub.. Wife said can't buy new subs unless something goes wrong with my old ones.....

Another stellar review!