I forgot to mention that it's going in a JDM 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (Twin Turbo), stock alternator (100A), Bosch Hightec Premium AGM batt, and big 3 (1/0). I just remembered that I have a PPI PC1400 (800 x 1 @ 2 ohm mono...so maybe 600 x 1 @ 3 ohm mono?) that might work, too. Any suggestions?

great buy!!! looks so clean

On 12/17/2016 at 7:17 AM, firey_kimchi said:

I scored this classic ICON the other day. It's brand new and has never seen power. it was in the original box from SSA with the stickers and brochure and the blue foam pads were still intact. I was told it was a D2 so I planned on wiring it in series and powering it with a US Acoustics 2300 at 4 ohms bridged. I hooked up the US Acoustics and it was screaming and then the fan kicked on immediately. I hooked up my DMM and found out the ICON is actually 1.5/1.6 ohms. So wiring in series results in 3.1 ohms and not 4 ohms. I just sold my US Amps USA-1000 so the only amp I have left that would be able to handle the new ohm load is an older US Amps USA-200. It's rated at 520W x 1 @ 2 ohms bridged. I know the older US Amps are underrated but do you think it'll be enough to push the ICON? I'm going to be putting it in a 1.1 cu/ft sealed enclosure. If it doesn't hit the lows like I think it should, I'll build a ported enclosure for it. 

DSC03564.JPG

DSC03566.JPG

that's a first generation Icon..... NICE..... :droolcup:

Or you could sell it to me :D

Love that sub, and nice collection of amps.  Liking the car too.  For daily, anywhere between 300 - 900 watts is plenty.

1 minute ago, S.DeYoung said:

Or you could sell it to me :D

I was thinking about asking that too.

Sorry guys, I'm keeping  this one! I had a custom built US Amps DE-500 on it and it was moving!!! Can't wait to see what the PC1400 will do to it.

:) nice amp.

BLUF: Is the ICON D2 regarded more as a 4 ohm or 3 ohm when wired in series?

Quick question...Will the coil resistance increase with music playing? Since the coils read 1.5 ohms (3.1 ohms in series), would this be better on a 4 ohm mono or 2 ohm mono stable amp? If the PPI PC1400 sees a 4 ohm load, it will only put out 400W @4 mono.  I also thought about powering it with a US Amps PT-1100 (2 ohm stable/ 1000x1 @ 4 bridged) but am worried if the ohm load is too low (3.1 ohms bridged...1.5 ohms), it will damage the amp.  Thanks for the help and happy holidays!

**Disclaimer: I'm not an expert and just did this with what I've read on multiple forums** Hopefully, it makes sense to everyone.

So, I had some spare time to kill and decided to experiment with the ICON. I have multiple amps sitting around so I thought I'd try 2 different 1999 model US Amps (USA-100 and Xterminator 100X) to see how the 3.1 ohm load reacted with the 1 ohm and 2 ohm stable amps. The USA-100 is 1 ohm stable and the Xterminator 100X is 2 ohm stable. Both plexiglass covers were removed (I like them this way to increase airflow potential).

My Audio Authority 978 (60A) power supply was reading 13.8V and I set the gains on both amps using a 40Hz test tone on my iPod and my TPI Scope Plus 440 Oscilloscope. Both gains were set until I saw clipping and then backed off to the nearest whole number. I played the same 3 songs on the ICON freeair: Bass Mekanik-808 Tune Up, Flosstradamus- Ith, and Basstronics- Bass, I Love You). Each testing lasted about 12 mins total.

Known factors:

USA-100: 19V per channel/ 38.5V bridged

Xterminator 100X: 24V per channel/ 48.8V bridged

ICON (wired in series): 3.1 ohms

Using Ohm's Law, I found the amps:

USA-100: 19V / 3.1 Ohms = 6.13A, 38.5V / 3.1 = 12.42A

Xterminator 100X: 24V / 3.1 Ohms = 7.74A, 48.8V / 3.1 = 15.74A

Now that I had the volts and amps, I could see how much power was being output:

USA-100: 19V x 6.13A = 116.5W/channel, 38.5V x 12.42A = 478W bridged

Xterminator 100X: 24V x 7.74A = 186W/channel, 48.8V x 15.74A = 768W bridged

The USA-100 was very warm. I tried to measure the ohm load when music was playing but it read 8.7 ohms at the amp and sub. I must have done something wrong. The bass was there but it didn't seem loud enough.

The Xterminator 100X was hot enough to fry an egg! Again, I tried to measure the ohm load and it read .585 ohm so I wasn't doing something right. The ICON performed better on this amp and the bass was noticeably louder. 

Based off this experiment, I think the PPI PC1400 won't be as loud as the US Amps PT-1100. I just hope the ICON doesn't fry the PT-1100's Tripath chip at 4 ohm bridged. Let me know if any of my calculations are off or I screwed up anything. 

Liking the selection of classic amps.  Personally, I love an Icon on big A/B power. :) 

The wood I ordered just came in to make the enclosure. I should have this thing built by the end of this weekend. After talking with Aaron, I'm going to use a double baffle and add some internal bracing. I'll post pics after it's built.

Jealous.  :)

Life got in the way (daughter got sick and then the wife and then me) and postponed my build until this weekend. Just finished glueing and screwing MDF. I doubled up the rear and front panels and added a third on the front for a flush mount. The cutout diameter in the sketch ups state 11 3/16", which was a little big. I think I should've used the specs on the website (11.150") and sanded it down. I'll remember that for the ported box next time. I have 2 pieces cross-bracing the sides (2 top-to-bottom and 2 left-to-right). I'm going to use T-nuts to secure the ICON. Waiting for glue to dry to finish the enclosure...

In the meantime, I hooked up the ICON to the PC1400...I have to say I was a little disappointed. It was not very powerful like I had imagined it would be. I think it was only getting the 400W @4. I think I've narrowed my amp choices down to the US Amps PT-1100, US Acoustics 2300, or Kicker ZR600. I have a ZR1000 but it's getting repaired and think that might be too much of a power drain for a daily driver. The ZR600 should be plenty if I go that route. Any advice on which amp I should run?  I'll post some pics once it's all together.

The ZR600 or USA-2300 sounds sweet to me.

Well, the USA 2300 was going to be the amp but USPS lost it. Yep! I sent it to Audio Clinic (Mike Nicholls) for refurbishment. He shipped it back to me in the middle of Dec (Mike sent the receipt, tracking number, etc). It never arrived and is not showing scanned in their system. USPS is blaming the military. The Military Postal Service Agency said they never received the item from USPS. It's a nightmare! Mike has been great with communication and going to the post office and trying to get a resolution. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

So, I just bought a mint Kicker ZR600 from Japan (They really take care of their stuff!). I can't wait for it to all come together and unleash the ICON!

On 2/11/2017 at 11:03 PM, firey_kimchi said:

Well, the USA 2300 was going to be the amp but USPS lost it. Yep! I sent it to Audio Clinic (Mike Nicholls) for refurbishment. He shipped it back to me in the middle of Dec (Mike sent the receipt, tracking number, etc). It never arrived and is not showing scanned in their system. USPS is blaming the military. The Military Postal Service Agency said they never received the item from USPS. It's a nightmare! Mike has been great with communication and going to the post office and trying to get a resolution. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

So, I just bought a mint Kicker ZR600 from Japan (They really take care of their stuff!). I can't wait for it to all come together and unleash the ICON!

Sorry to hear about that amp.  Yes, Mike is great.  Hence why we carry US Acoustics.

Sharing picture on our social media pages.

Good news...

I got the Kicker ZR600  today. It looks awesome! The first thing I did was take the bottom cover off and inspected the guts...beautiful! I hooked up the DMM and o-scope and set the gain. I set it to 60V (it didn't start to clip until around 70'ish). I hooked it up to the ICON and did some freeair. WOW!!!:D This is going to be great. 

Now for the not great news but I can deal with it news...

When the ICON was digging deep, I heard some squeaky/whining noises coming from the amp. I still had the bottom cover off and it was elevated so I could hear it well. It sounded like it was coming from the caps in the center of the board. I emailed a guy that's going to fix my ZR1000 to see if he could verify what the issue/noise is and fix it. I can understand if the caps are going bad. This is an older amp. Anyways, I should have this up and running once the ZR600 gets "touched up". 

On with the pics...

DSC03728.JPG

DSC03730.JPG

Here are some pics of the box. I still have to insert the t-nuts and fill in the screw holes. I think it'll be pretty sturdy for the ICON. 

DSC03732.JPG

DSC03733.JPG