Billy Jack

How many cubic feet

Got a new car and want to run the single biggest FI BTL NEO I can fit. I have measured my trunk and I have 32x32x18 to work with, the car is a 2012 chevy cruze LTZ. My question is, about how big of a box I can use. I'm thinking I could possibly fit 1 15" at 4-5 cubes but I'm no box builder.  I would love to run 1 18" inch but the btl requires 6-8 cubic foot so I doubt it would fit. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jack said:

I have measured my trunk and I have 32x32x18 to work with....My question is, about how big of a box I can use. 

You can use a 32x32x18 

...although considering you are asking it may be best to mock up the max box from cardboard.

No shit Sherlock. What I need to know is about how many cubic feet can be had from the 32 width 32 depth 18 tall.  It doesn't have to be exact just a general approximation so I know which btl to order 15" or 18". If I multiply the measurements I come up with almost 10 cubic foot but that's before bracing and port so I'm pretty sure a 10 cubic foot box want fit in a chevy cruze trunk. I normally already have the subs and take them to my box builder to build my box but this time I need to know how big I can go so I can order the sub first. And those measurement's are max what will fit. I measured my trunk opening for the width and height so I know for a fact anything in those numbers will fit. I also checked my 18 tall Clearance for the length of the depth and it's good. And on a side note, I had thought about ordering everything else, except the sub from SSA, but if it's this hard to get a simple tech question answered from the SSA tech team I think I best take this $2k some where else. I'm thinking sonic electronics want have a problem helping me. 

Your insecurity is disgusting.

For all the "advice" you try to give, step 1 is seemingly lost.  So far you typed a book but told us:

32x32x18

FI BTL 

and NO other information that would let us help you.  You NEED to choose your own compromise. Acceptable port velocity will determine what size box you can fit in 32x32x18.

One other hint for you.  No one here is paid.  The Tech Team label is given to people on here who help and don't mislead.  It isn't a job, just a name.  You'll get your help, you just have to want it and to share info needed so you can be helped.  

no help is ever given to anybody except the pros who don't even need it. All I need to know is how many cubic foot could be got from a trunk space of 32x32x18 so I can know which btl to order 15" or 18" and I can take it from there. But never mind, so much easier to drive 75 miles to talk to my box builder then get a simple answer on here.

Your question is akin to I need a car, which should I buy.

Some background is necessary.  If you want a question answered then ask a question....although for someone with how often you holler in on things here you should be able to answer this in your sleep.

Kind of a childish response towards the end of your post.  Seeings how your not even speaking to a ssa employee.  Also it seems like your bashing ssa based on what goes on in a forum. Try emailing or calling Aaron for questions about products they sell.  Try looking at Fi website for enclosure recommendations.  Pretty simple. 

Pretty sure the whole reason for his thread was so he could bitch.  Status quo for BJ.

My wife has a '13 Cruze.

Personally, I would go with a pair of 12" drivers if I was to ever install a system for her. Just Saying

Edited by Randal Johnson

33 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

My wife has a '13 Cruze.

Personally, I would go with a pair of 12" drivers if I was to ever install a system for her. Just Saying

That's what I would normally do cause I know they would fit but if I can get the same amount of cone area by running 1 18" instead and save $559 in the process I'm all for it. I have never built a single box I have ever used, except maybe a sealed box or two so I don't have the right tools to do it right, so I always have it built then do the rest of the install myself. Figured somebody who designs or builds boxes could take my 32x32x18 max demensions and give me a close guess to which btl I could run in that space 15" or 18". I will be having this box built, so I don't even need tuning, or port velocity, just how many cubes could a good box builder get, after bracing and port. And I'm glad to know that dude don't work at SSA cause ARRON is very helpful even if it may be a dumb question to him so I guess I will contact him for my amp, wire, battery's, and HO alt. this will also be my first time using a factory source unit it's such a nice navigation unit I don't want to remove it just to add bass and some highs. I had planned on using one of the new sundown 15ZV5 until I saw the new btl neo's I already have the best sundown has to offer, so I wanna try out FI's subs. If I like it I may build a wall and run 2 18's later. This is a new car I got for delivering so I'm gonna be spending a lot of time in the car so a decent system is a good time killer. 

Really? Not one of you self proclaimed stereo gurrous can tell me if a 6 cubic foot ported box can be shoe horned into a chevy cruze trunk, that measures 32 width 32 depth 18 height. 

Are you planing on having the enclosure built into the trunk or be able to go in and out?

I haven't measured the trunk space in my Cruze. Honestly, I've gave thought about a pair of an Isobaric 10' driver setup in there, but nothing more than that. Just don't think it's needed for the wife ... LOL

If I ever decide to do anything with the Cruze, the very first thing I would buy for it would be the Helix Pro.

Let me drive up to Chevy and measure a Cruz trunk since I dont drive one. You cant download a box program such as Torres or the Ultimate Car Audio app on your phone. 

Even if i could fit an 18 I wouldnt as it would have to be built in the trunk which is useless if you plan on walling in the future. Just wall now and be done with it. Or go for the 15 version to see if you likethe sub and if so when ready to wall, recone the 15 to an 18. Pretty simple.

15 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Figured somebody who designs or builds boxes could take my 32x32x18 max demensions and give me a close guess to which btl I could run in that space 15" or 18". I will be having this box built, so I don't even need tuning, or port velocity, just how many cubes could a good box builder get, after bracing and port. 

I knew you were confused, but wow, had no idea it was that bad.

Gross Box Volume = Net Volume + the area the whole port takes up.  The port area and volume is determined by TUNING and AREA.  You CANNOT estimate anything in a ported box without it.  Completely pointless.  Of course to get the right area you need to know power and listening desires.  You need to spend a lot more time helping us understand your needs before we can help you.  It is really hard to spoon feed someone without a spoon.

I would try a 15" in a Cruze with those max dim. I'd rather have the sub in an optimal enclosure.

That would leave you room for amp, batteries, everuthing else,...and maybe some space for groceries !

8 hours ago, Notorious97200 said:

I would try a 15" in a Cruze with those max dim. I'd rather have the sub in an optimal enclosure.

That would leave you room for amp, batteries, everuthing else,...and maybe some space for groceries !

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I knew you were confused, but wow, had no idea it was that bad.

Gross Box Volume = Net Volume + the area the whole port takes up.  The port area and volume is determined by TUNING and AREA.  You CANNOT estimate anything in a ported box without it.  Completely pointless.  Of course to get the right area you need to know power and listening desires.  You need to spend a lot more time helping us understand your needs before we can help you.  It is really hard to spoon feed someone without a spoon.

All I need is 6 cubic foot  to fit a 18 I even explained I'm not building the box so all I needed to know is it possible to fit 6 cubes into the 32x32x18 measurements I gave so I can order the sub and let the box guy figure the rest out. And as far as Power I'm gonna try to run it off either a Ampere 3800 or a sundown 3k. I'm gonna add a 240 amp high output altenator and 2 xs power battery's capable of supporting 4k watts. I'm also gonna be using a audio control line out driver and eq off the factory head unit. My goals are as much spl as possible I basically want a fart box that crushes your chest and blurs your vision. I thought if I only got 18" inches of height I could fire the sub upwards toward the deck lid and have the port firing to the side on the back of the passenger side. That's the game plan. If I can't get a 18" to work I will just run a single 15 but I have never ran anything but 12" and 15" so I really want to try a 18" but not at the cost of output. Fi states it must be ran ported at 6-8 cubes. 

Edited by Billy Jack

47 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

All I need is 6 cubic foot  to fit a 18 I even explained I'm not building the box so all I needed to know is it possible to fit 6 cubes into the 32x32x18 measurements I gave so I can order the sub and let the box guy figure the rest out. And as far as. Power I'm gonna try to run it off either a Ampere 3800 or a sundown 3k. I'm gonna add a 240 amp high output altenator and 2 xs power battery's capable of supporting 4k watts. I'm also gonna be using a audio control line out driver and eq off the factory head unit. My goals are as much spl as possible I basically want a fart box that crushes your chest and blurs your vision. I thought if I only got 18" inches of height I could fire the sub upwards toward the deck lid and have the port firing to the side on the back of the passenger side. That's the game plan. If I can get a 18" to work I will just run a single 15 but I have never ran anything but 12" and 15" so I really want to try a 18" but not at the cost of output. Fi states it must be ran ported at 6-8 cubes. 

Well if you put 18 inches on height, it will be 18" at the full length of 32 depth, if there's any drops upon entrance trunk , the box will hit up top ( the angle ). It won't just slide in unless you know 18 goes thru no problem.. and you would have to go shorter on height anyway, because if u mount it facing upwards you have to consider 1.25" ? for sub to slip thru.. as far as an 18 fitting properly, that will depend on port area, bracing, wood thickness and any displacements... I mean it sounds like enough space but it's really up to you. 

If you assume the idiot* case, it will be fine.  

(32-1.5)*(32-1.5)*2(18-1.5) = 15,349 cubic inches /1728 = 8.8cuft - driver - port

From Webstereos Dictionary

*idiot

[id-ee-uh t]

noun:
1. Informal. an utterly foolish or senseless person:

If you think you can wear that outfit to a job interview and get hired, you're an idiot!

2.Psychology. (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

3. Average member of SMD; outspoken, but clueless.  Typical behavior shown by cutting every corner possible to fit the next size up sub in their car, but calculates and fails miserably.  Post install behavior is usually sad remorse followed by relentless bragging on car audio forums on how great their garbage is.

I will assume you are not that guy and while the moron above will only use under 2cuft, you should use much more.

I don't understand  how a 18 inch btl can have almost the same cone area as 2 12" inch btl's and need's nearly 4 times the air space.  A 12" btl can fit in a 1.5-2.5 box while a 18inch BTL need 6-8 cubic feet.  That's one thing I will say about my W7 and sundown teams, they can still work in a small box, well some what small, they fit in a trunk anyways, but then again a 18 is a lot bigger then a 13, and a 12. If I ever get another day off from work, I will let my friend who owns PJ car tunes in Corbin ky,  check it out before I order it, his employee will be building the box anyways. Normally he charges me $200 to get the box built and paint ready, then I do the finish myself since I'm a detailer, and already have everything to put a black grand piano finish on it. 

21 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

If you assume the idiot* case, it will be fine.  

(32-1.5)*(32-1.5)*2(18-1.5) = 15,349 cubic inches /1728 = 8.8cuft - driver - port

From Webstereos Dictionary

*idiot

[id-ee-uh t]

noun:
1. Informal. an utterly foolish or senseless person:

If you think you can wear that outfit to a job interview and get hired, you're an idiot!

2.Psychology. (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

3. Average member of SMD; outspoken, but clueless.  Typical behavior shown by cutting every corner possible to fit the next size up sub in their car, but calculates and fails miserably.  Post install behavior is usually sad remorse followed by relentless bragging on car audio forums on how great their garbage is.

I will assume you are not that guy and while the moron above will only use under 2cuft, you should use much more.

Well I don't belong or visit any site but this one so I will just have to take your word on that but I'm not gonna put a 18 in a to small of a box just to say I got a 18". I just want the single biggest BTl I can properly fit. As we all know a 10" in a proper box will go lower and hit harder then a 18" in to small of a box. 

10 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

I don't understand  how a 18 inch btl can have almost the same cone area as 2 12" inch btl's and need's nearly 4 times the air space.  

Easy to understand if you ignore the single specification of Sd and instead focus on what is important for the box design.  Of course your math is off too.  480 cm2 * 2 << 1210 cm2

10 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

That's one thing I will say about my W7 and sundown teams, they can still work in a small box, well some what small, they fit in a trunk anyways, but then again a 18 is a lot bigger then a 13, and a 12.

It is easy enough to design a woofer for a small box, but you aren't getting around Hoffman's law if you do.  Just because there are drivers on the market that do this doesn't make them good.  Pick your own compromises, stop using brands to do it for you.