logan_searching

Need to upgrade front stage 6.5 evils?

I'm a noob to building quality audio system looking for help. Found this guy's (hydrox88) video of his setup in the chevy crewcab and loved the sound

I would like to upgrade my factory system and create a front stage that gets loud and sounds good on all notes. Listen to wide variety of music classic rock, 2000's rock, dubstep, rap, and a little country.

Vehicle: 2006 F150 would like to use factory speaker locations however I will deaden doors and add mdf ring to help

head unit: pioneer AVH-X4800BS already installed

amp:? need suggestions

speakers: would like to use evil 6.5's

tweeters: LPG 26NA ?

Processor: minidsp ?

I assume this is what I need? I tried to find more info on his setup but cant seem to find it. 

Any advise as I know little about processing or active setups. I have always just purchased coaxials or components and hooked them up to an amp and played with the settings to find what sounded best to my ears.

The 4800 in network mode will do all you need for crossing things over, no need for the minidsp.

Where/what do the mounting locations look like in 06?

Measured/researched to be sure that the Evil will fit in the door?  It should, but...

Definitely a tweeter with a better off axis response will be your friend.  Looks like you aren't limited to small tweeters from the pic though!

I will double check to ensure I can make the evil fit. 

any suggestions on the tweeters and amp?

Edited by logan_searching

i wont make a tweeter suggestion, other guys are better at that but for amps check out the ppi 900.4 or any of the variations from nvx, polk, etc. Lots of power in a really small package. I think SSA carries the nvx version. The big 4 channel from us acoustics looks nice too its a bit larger. 

Any of these amps better suited than others? do I need the higher power?

rockford fosgate p600x4

incriminator audio 3.4

incriminator audio 6.4

Crescendo audio s800.4

Crescendo audio c1100.4

good power for the mids is great but tweeters need very little by comparison. 

9 minutes ago, lithium said:

i wont make a tweeter suggestion, other guys are better at that but for amps check out the ppi 900.4 or any of the variations from nvx, polk, etc. Lots of power in a really small package. I think SSA carries the nvx version. The big 4 channel from us acoustics looks nice too its a bit larger. 

Thanks for the recommendations

6 minutes ago, lithium said:

good power for the mids is great but tweeters need very little by comparison. 

I assumed best bet would be to get more power and keep it turned down on tweeter side correct? 

More power is never a bad thing.  

The compromise you get to make is off axis response on the tweeter with the capability to dig low.  

She loves the waffle maker and toaster lol.  Bought me a rice cooker which she expects I will return for another.  Trying to figure that out now.  Perhaps a visit to the kitchen window is in order.

15 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

She loves the waffle maker and toaster lol.  Bought me a rice cooker which she expects I will return for another.  Trying to figure that out now.  Perhaps a visit to the kitchen window is in order.

Lol perhaps, is this a little off topic? 

Checked and the evils will fit with a little more spacing which I will achieve with the mdf. 

Can anyone give some pros/cons on the above amps?

any tweeter recommendations as I know nothing about them?

Based on what you listed above my choices would be Incriminator amps. IMO they a much much better amp all around. The IA3.4 would do the job very well.

As far as tweeters, SSA is very close to having one for sale. If waiting a little longer is an option?

33 minutes ago, nem said:

Based on what you listed above my choices would be Incriminator amps. IMO they a much much better amp all around. The IA3.4 would do the job very well.

As far as tweeters, SSA is very close to having one for sale. If waiting a little longer is an option?

Is there an estimated time period on the ssa tweeter? In no rush just curious

Aaron has the prototypes at his house. Not sure on the production timeline as of yet. Maybe he will chime in.

I'm running an IA 3.4 full pass on my mids and highs, with a dsp. 

Small size but enough power for my taste right now. 

I'm very happy with it.

I have  the 20.1 on my  sub. 

My brother in law is using my IA6.4 on his Peerless HDS miss and XT25 tweeters ran active by his Clarion CZ702. It's got more than enough power for the job, is super clean and clear, and sounds very transparent. Definitely a top quality amp and well worth the price. It's really hard to tap the amp out, the mids typically start complaining well before the amp seems as though it's running out of steam. 

I have listened to a couple of the US Acoustics Barbara Ann's as well and they seemed like great amps too. 

Really anything from a reputable company that fits your budget and space/size requirements will serve you well. No need to get hung up on names, models or the numbers.

8 hours ago, Liro213 said:

Lol perhaps, is this a little off topic? 

Rofl.  Wrong thread sorry.

Just submitted orders for IA6.4 from Amazon had lots of gift cards and two evils from ssa store. 

Excited to get these in. Now just need the tweeters from ssa

23 hours ago, logan_searching said:

Any of these amps better suited than others? do I need the higher power?

rockford fosgate p600x4

incriminator audio 3.4

incriminator audio 6.4

Crescendo audio s800.4

Crescendo audio c1100.4

Stay away from Crescendo there customer service sucks. I completely gave up trying to get another BC3800 after almost a year of trying to find one and a bunch of emails always saying will ship soon. And how do you know what a guys system sounds like if you have only heard it on a video. All these vids sound the same to me rattle rattle, flex, more flex, and some highs you can barely understand. Now if you had heard it in person then I could understand but how do you know you will like the sound of the system when all you heard is his system playing through what ever speakers your using?

On 27/12/2016 at 9:55 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

Yes, worst kept secret.  I have tweets about to go into production.  But I am waiting until just after the new year to get them into production.  They will not be ready until well into March.  If you are looking to mate a nice set of tweets right now, I like the Morel MDT 12's, Morel MDT39, SEAS Prestiege Neo Textile, Scan Speak D3004.  I am aiming our tweets at the Scan Speak D3004's.

Edit, great choice on amp, hope you ordered from SSA.

I am happy I did not pull the trigger on a new set of tweeters yet !

The Davis I tried failed from install, I went back with the Focals. 

Yours will be welcome if the price is right. :P

On 12/28/2016 at 6:15 AM, logan_searching said:

......Furthermore, I researched the evils far more than just looking at one video. I also know the quality of ssa products from previous experiences. Therefore with the video I saw, the reviews on the speakers, and experiences I have had previously with ssa's quality products and superb customer service I'm willing to give them a shot. 

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback.