Audio Junkies

Mmmmm..... Magnepan's

Scored these monsters for $200. They need some work because they were banged up in a move, but after some new cloth skirts, wood work, and paint these bad boys will be rockin. I'm sure they'll also need a wire rebuild kit from Magnepan, but from what I have read that is only about $50. It's going to take a while to get used to a pair of 60" tall speakers in the living room.

The "IMP" on the rear plates designate these as an "Improved" version of the MG-1's.

I hear if you use subwoofers in a dipole setup with magneplanars it is next to Godliness, so I'm doing the research on different dipole setups right now and trying to decide which one to use.

I'm thinking black wood frames with light gray grill cloth for a classy look. Maybe even throw on some spikes, but we'll see.

Anyways, I pick them up Friday and I can't wait to get my hands on them. :fing34:

sw463b.jpg

sw463c.jpg

sw463h.jpg

Edited by Audio Junkies

Holy hell, nice purchase!

Very nice :)

I see Maggie MMG's going for crazy cheap prices, but my amps won't have any of it :(

wow, those are nice. the black frame, gray clothe combo should like awesome!

are these full range? i have planar tweeters, but of course they are nowhere near 60", lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

They're 20KHz to wherever the sub crosses over at :)

Wow

x2^^^^^

that would be sweet to have in house. most people wouldn't even know they were speakers, lol. of course the cats would think big scratching post, and then immediate death, lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

What amp(s) are you driving these with?

That's a real nice catch!

Very nice :)

I see Maggie MMG's going for crazy cheap prices, but my amps won't have any of it :(

Where??

What amp(s) are you driving these with?

I plan on getting a Harmon Kardon 3480 receiver with built in amp to power them (120 watts x2 @ 8 ohms). I'm thinking it will be putting out about 200 watts at 5 ohms. I know they are pretty power hungry, but I'm trying keep this a budget system for now. I can get the HK 3480 for about $250 shipped.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue19/hk3480.htm

If you recommend a different route let me know, but I have read a couple positive reviews using that receiver/amp with Maggies.

Looking at doing a front firing 12" or 15" TC-1000 sealed with a 500 watt amp for the low end.

I ordered new gray skirts and replacement tweeter wire from Magnepan today. I did get a chance to hook them both up and I have to admit I was surpised at the frequency range on these. They are no slouch with mids and lows and the highs sound amazing. That was being powered by only 100 watts as well, so I'm sure they'll be even better with more power.

I also got a build date from Magnepan for the speakers, August 1981. Damn things are 25 years old and still look and sound great. :fing34:

003350e1922577c4af9a8cbbea923be7mg1.jpg

Yeah I have no idea what thoes are. But since everyone else thinks they are cool...

Great pickup man. :lol:

A receiver would work for now, but I'd want to run seperates...just the masochist in me...something like a 300Wpc Adcom or Parasound :P