///M5

Billy Jack Thread Dumping Thread

I don't see the big deal about the price. Plenty of $1k dollar subs out now. I gave more for my sundowns then I did the JL, and nobody ever says anything about them. You figure I went through 3 subs, so that works out to $300 a piece. And a lot of car audio is having something not everybody has. That and like you, I just wanted to try one. Now I just need to get it in a good box. These factory sealed boxes ain't much, to small. Maybe I should put this one in my Cruze and a 18" in my dodge, plenty of room in there. 

I've only heard w7 once in a wall of 6 12s, with rap music , so I didn't get to hear the sound they actually reproduce. that being said I couldn't risk spending 1k for a sub and end up dissapointed.. Then I remember watching a YouTube video where the mtx 9500 outdid the w7 plugged into a wall outlet, I was amazed lmao... you went thru the same sundown sub 3 times? 

Edited by Liro213
Small error.

1 hour ago, Liro213 said:

sub

1 hour ago, Liro213 said:

I've only heard w7 once in a wall of 6 12s, with rap music , so I didn't get to hear the sound they actually reproduce. that being said I couldn't risk spending 1k for a sub and end up dissapointed.. Then I remember watching a YouTube video where the mtx 9500 outdid the w7 plugged into a wall outlet, I was amazed lmao... you went thru the same sundown sub 3 times? 

No not the sundowns, the w7. Guys at the shop didn't bother to set the gains, not once but twice and burnt the 13w7 up. They had the HD1200/1 turned to 100% on everything. After receiving the 3rd sub I set it up myself, and it's been playing good for a few years now. I also let JL know about their, (reputable dealer) what a bad joke that was. Gotta say that was my first, and last time, ever dealing with a shop. 

I don't remember ever seeing JL Audio drivers being used as outlaw SPL drivers. Mainly Sound Quality. The ones I actually got to hear really sounded good. 

I've competed against a few JL audio equipped vehicles over the years. 

14 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Well I couldn't help but notice the synergy used the same board as the twisted sounds, so I thought since everybody is having good luck with them, and the synergy is cheaper, I may give one a try and save myself some cash. I also noticed they where heavier by a few pounds, so that's probably where some differences are, heat sink, inputs, etc, like you said. Either way if I can get a realiable 3500 watts for $599 I'm in. You will be hearing from me next month on a order. Also gonna need some batts, and your most definitely cheaper then most places for XS power. I wish the new SSA line of amps was out, I would definitely run one of those. Any idea on a ship or realease date? 

SSA Amplifier production will be starting in about 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

I don't remember ever seeing JL Audio drivers being used as outlaw SPL drivers. Mainly Sound Quality. The ones I actually got to hear really sounded good. 

I've competed against a few JL audio equipped vehicles over the years. 

Yeah at least from my research most indicate jl audio is more about SQ. That set up I heard wasn't pushing a lot of dbs , it was moving air tho.

Yep, from what I remember, those systems would get down. But back then, it was all about clear sounding ground pounders and not this shitty segregated SQ/SPL competition they have today.

21 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Well I couldn't help but notice the synergy used the same board as the twisted sounds, so I thought since everybody is having good luck with them, and the synergy is cheaper, I may give one a try and save myself some cash. I also noticed they where heavier by a few pounds, so that's probably where some differences are, heat sink, inputs, etc, like you said. Either way if I can get a realiable 3500 watts for $599 I'm in. You will be hearing from me next month on a order. Also gonna need some batts, and your most definitely cheaper then most places for XS power. I wish the new SSA line of amps was out, I would definitely run one of those. Any idea on a ship or realease date? 

I have used a Twisted Sounds amplifier and it was excellent. I will certainly buy from them again if I have the need too.

5 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

I will say this ... (LOL Sean, had to ...)

I hardly ever run larger than a 10" driver in my setups. But I have had 4 15s in one of my ground pounders. Now after talking to Mark and Aaron personally at show and events, and basically demoing SEVERAL different drivers, If I ever went stupid and built me another ground pounder, I promised Aaron that I would be ordering SSA product s for that ride.

Performance along with ownership and customer service is more than enough to run their equipment. 

So if I was you, I'd order SSA and call it a day brother. You won't be disappointed.

I had originally wanted a 15" Sundow ZV5 from SSA, but that new BTL is just cool looking with those neo magnets. One of those inverted with the magnets facing the cabin will look awesome, and I'm sure sound awesome. Nothing set in stone yet, just trying to figure out what I want, and what I can run in this little car. I know I'm not worried about sound quality with this one, I just want as much bass as possible without giving up my back seat. 

I guess you didn't get my original meaning. Buy you a ZCON and call it a day. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jack said:

I had originally wanted a 15" Sundow ZV5 from SSA, but that new BTL is just cool looking with those neo magnets. One of those inverted with the magnets facing the cabin will look awesome, and I'm sure sound awesome. Nothing set in stone yet, just trying to figure out what I want, and what I can run in this little car. I know I'm not worried about sound quality with this one, I just want as much bass as possible without giving up my back seat. 

An inverted BTL NEO may not be suitable for you for your little car. The speaker is not  a shallow driver.

2 x 12" subwoofers would be your best option. You would want subs that are efficient and are designed for +35hz in a 4 cubes net; that's the biggest enclosure you'll be able to fit in your trunk, if you build it in your trunk. Soundrive Audio SDA3 12" would be what I would recommend for your "as much bass as possible" criteria. SDA3 #1 design characteristic is high efficiency. An 8" aero port tuned to 35hz, with 10" of the port external ( minimize net volume loss) facing the trunk lid, on 4k would be nasty. They are assembled in the USA as well if that is a concern.

Message Soundrive on Facebook and see when they will be available for the next order, they are already sold out.

http://store.soundriveaudio.com/subwoofers/80-soundrive-sda3-12-subwoofer.html

1 hour ago, edouble101 said:

An inverted BTL NEO may not be suitable for you for your little car. The speaker is not  a shallow driver.

2 x 12" subwoofers would be your best option. You would want subs that are efficient and are designed for +35hz in a 4 cubes net; that's the biggest enclosure you'll be able to fit in your trunk, if you build it in your trunk. Soundrive Audio SDA3 12" would be what I would recommend for your "as much bass as possible" criteria. SDA3 #1 design characteristic is high efficiency. An 8" aero port tuned to 35hz, with 10" of the port external ( minimize net volume loss) facing the trunk lid, on 4k would be nasty. They are assembled in the USA as well if that is a concern.

Message Soundrive on Facebook and see when they will be available for the next order, they are already sold out.

http://store.soundriveaudio.com/subwoofers/80-soundrive-sda3-12-subwoofer.html

That's funny, I was looking at those a couple of days ago, but like you said there sold out. And yes 91db@1watt is high efficiency for a 12". And I'm not nessesarly stuck on inverted either, but if I had more room I definitely would. I would much rather have more bass then good looks. 

Edited by Billy Jack

But yea if I could get my hands on a couple of those, and run them off a synergy 3500@1ohm with a couple of big batts, and a run of 0 gauge, and big 3, would work nicely to. Might have to wait a couple weeks to do a alt upgrade, but in the meantime just go easy for break in. 

4 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

I guess you didn't get my original meaning. Buy you a ZCON and call it a day. 

No I got it and if I got any ssa sub it would be a Zcon or a Evil, but I don't know if I can support the electrical to run one or two of those. Their not very efficient, or at least that's how the specs read. I know I could run one but if I'm gonna go to all this trouble I want to be able to take full advantage of its capability's. 

I never calculated "efficient" into any of my competition vehicles. But then again, I only run Class A/B amplifiers.

9 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

No I got it and if I got any ssa sub it would be a Zcon or a Evil, but I don't know if I can support the electrical to run one or two of those. Their not very efficient, or at least that's how the specs read. I know I could run one but if I'm gonna go to all this trouble I want to be able to take full advantage of its capability's. 

Subwoofers are not efficient by themselves. Enclosure design is the biggest factor.

8 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

I never calculated "efficient" into any of my competition vehicles. But then again, I only run Class A/B amplifiers.

Amplifier class has nothing to with sheer output necessarily. Amplifier design does have a huge impact when considering your electrical supply, which is what you meant I think.

6 minutes ago, ohio45113 said:

https://turbulent-designs.myshopify.com/products/dss-savage-12-5-000w-rms-presale-deposit

Not a exact link to actual product but damn.  Sure is sexy.  

If these perform anything like the Ethos I am sure they will be great!

10 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

But yea if I could get my hands on a couple of those, and run them off a synergy 3500@1ohm with a couple of big batts, and a run of 0 gauge, and big 3, would work nicely to. Might have to wait a couple weeks to do a alt upgrade, but in the meantime just go easy for break in. 

For a daily setup, a 300 amp alt should be your first upgrade along with 4 runs on 1/0, 2 positive and 2 negative to the trunk. I'd recommend a good AGM under the hood, and 2-4 banks of caps in the trunk. That'll support 6-7k daily dipping into the high 12v range under extreme demands.

If these Synergy amps are anything like the Twisted Sounds, a 3.5k amp would make ~7k on burps. My TS 2.8K had max output of over 4k and 3.5k daily! All for $500 shipped :) 

31775934546_cf308613ad_k.jpg

31666110672_155fee743a_k.jpg

I'm more referring to driver control, power, dynamics, and headroom. I could care less about max output power. 

8 hours ago, edouble101 said:

Subwoofers are not efficient by themselves. Enclosure design is the biggest factor.

Amplifier class has nothing to with sheer output necessarily. Amplifier design does have a huge impact when considering your electrical supply, which is what you meant I think.

If these perform anything like the Ethos I am sure they will be great!

For a daily setup, a 300 amp alt should be your first upgrade along with 4 runs on 1/0, 2 positive and 2 negative to the trunk. I'd recommend a good AGM under the hood, and 2-4 banks of caps in the trunk. That'll support 6-7k daily dipping into the high 12v range under extreme demands.

If these Synergy amps are anything like the Twisted Sounds, a 3.5k amp would make ~7k on burps. My TS 2.8K had max output of over 4k and 3.5k daily! All for $500 shipped :) 

31775934546_cf308613ad_k.jpg

31666110672_155fee743a_k.jpg

Yea I wouldn't pay much attention to those Dyno's. Everything I have seen them dyno was way over even what the manufacturer says the amps do. Not saying your amp ain't a bad mother, I'm positive it is but I'm like Randall on the max output. I will never use this car to compete, or burp, just playing music, so I'm more worried about a amps RMS, and efficacy. And the biggest Alts I have seen for the turbo Cruze is a 260amp, so I'm thinking a bigger XS power batter under the hood, a matching batt in the trunk with a single run of CCA to it. Then short runs of 1/0 gauge to the amp or amps. Surely just playing music all that can support a synergy 3500. I can always try it and upgrade my electrical if needed. And yes those DSS neo's look mean but I haven't heard the best things about DSS. 

3 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Yea I wouldn't pay much attention to those Dyno's. Everything I have seen them dyno was way over even what the manufacturer says the amps do. Not saying your amp ain't a bad mother, I'm positive it is but I'm like Randall on the max output. I will never use this car to compete, or burp, just playing music, so I'm more worried about a amps RMS, and efficacy. And the biggest Alts I have seen for the turbo Cruze is a 260amp, so I'm thinking a bigger XS power batter under the hood, a matching batt in the trunk with a single run of CCA to it. Then short runs of 1/0 gauge to the amp or amps. Surely just playing music all that can support a synergy 3500. I can always try it and upgrade my electrical if needed. And yes those DSS neo's look mean but I haven't heard the best things about DSS. 

Why not ofc?

CCA is garbage , I wouldn't use it if it was free

OFC or Silver if the budget was there is the only thing I would use 

10 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

I'm more referring to driver control, power, dynamics, and headroom. I could care less about max output power. 

It isn't 1975 anymore

46 minutes ago, Thumpper said:

CCA is garbage , I wouldn't use it if it was free

OFC or Silver if the budget was there is the only thing I would use 

Unless your running a huge $100k dollar demo vehicle OFC ain't worth it. For a daily ground pounder CCA is fine. All where doing is running current, it doesn't care what it flows through, just as long as it's big enough. OFC is just for vanity, which is actually a big part of audio. These company's want you to believe OFC is so much better because there's money in it for them. You ever seen how they test it, lol they do rolled up wire in 1000' lengths, last I checked a car is only what 15' long. If anything just run a extra run of CCA and call it good. 

33 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

It isn't 1975 anymore

Ain't nothing changed but the clothes.