Sign in to follow this  
Fixxer

Screw Terminals

My SAZ-1500D's have been just sitting waiting for my subs to come so I haven't really looked them over but I installed my SAX-100.2 today for some temporary bass. I noticed you used screw terminals. :( Any reason for this? Any hookup where I could get allen terminals? Screw terminals just seem cheap to me and nice allen ones look clean. :ughdunno:

Nitpicking. :D

Actually... most customers hate the allen terminals and love the screw terminals. So I don't know what to tell you!

I have to agree, I like the screw terminals. It always seems that I could never find the right sized allen wrench when I need one.....lol

Not to mention the allen type screws tend to strip and get damaged quicker. My vote goes to the screw terminals.

Guess I'm outnumbered.. lol.. Most of the amps I have used have the allen scews with the exception of a few. Its ok.. They didn't work too badly. ;)

I forgot why I hated screw type terminals... Elemental Designs uses a clip and screw so it is VERY easy to strip the clip that the screw goes through... The Sundown screw type are basically like allen terminals with screw heads on them. I am fine with these, its the eD style that are cheap and not worthy of a nice amp like the Sundown series. :) I guess thats what you get for rushing to judgement before you think why you hate them in the first place.

USamps screw terminals are POS's...

USamps screw terminals are POS's...

AGREED! My US Amps USA-2000 (pre-move to CA version) has 4 small screw terminals each for the power and ground. Good luck jamming anything larger than 8 ga along with everything else. A single large screw terminal anyone?

I love that amp but I sure do hate wiring it up.

See how the wire slot has a top piece (clamp) that the screw threads through and tightens the wire into the terminal? The clamp is such a soft metal that any over torquing, however minor, will strip the clamp really easy.... Where as on the Sundowns terminals you can pretty much only go so far and then the screwdriver head will pop out and spin.

outside3.jpg

I have a few Cadence amps with allen terminals, as long as there is a strong hold on the wire and a good connection that is all I am worried about/

I really like the screw terminals on the Sundown amps. I hate having to go through a few allen wrenches trying to find the right size for each terminal. Then there are metric and standard allen wrenches which makes it even more of a pain in the ass if they get all mixed together like mine are. :ughdunno:

You can also crank down on the screw terminals without being afraid of stripping them.

Sign in to follow this