Havasufreak

Which amp is right for my NVX Components

Hey everyone! So I just purchased some of NVX 6-1/2" V-Series 2-way components since I wanted to give them a try. Looking into a new amp for just these speakers only. Curious what you think about these two amps? There around the price I want to spend and I am not 100% on sticking with this brand, but ive had good luck with these amps over the years so I figured I would stick with them.

Here are the component specs:

• 6-1/2" V-Series 2-way Component Speaker System
  • Peak: 280 watts per set / 140 watts each side
  • 140 watts per set / 70 watts each side
  • 4 ohms impedance

and here are the two amps im looking at and curious which one would work better for my application

Orion CB300.2 Cobalt Series 2 Channel Amplifier

RMS Watts @ 4 Ohm Stereo 14.4V:   60 Watts X 2 Channel / RMS Watts @ 2 Ohm Stereo 14.4V: 80 Watts X 2 Channel / RMS Watts @ 4 Ohm Bridge 14.4V: 160 Watts

• RMS Power Watts:      300 Watts / Max Power Watts: 600 Watts
  • Frequency Response   10Hz~36KHz(-3dB)
  • Signal Noise Ratio:      90dB
  • Hi Pass Freq.   50Hz-4KHz / Low Pass Freq. 40Hz-500Hz

Orion CB600.2 Cobalt Series 2 Channel Amplifier

RMS Watts @ 4 Ohm Stereo 14.4V:   110 Watts X 2 Channel / RMS Watts @ 2 Ohm Stereo 14.4V: 160 Watts X 2 Channel / RMS Watts @ 4 Ohm Bridge 14.4V: 160 Watts X 1 Channel

• RMS Power Watts:      320 Watts / Max Power Watts: 1200 Watts
  • Frequency Response   10Hz~36KHz(-3dB)
  • Signal Noise Ratio:      90dB
  • Hi Pass Freq.   50Hz-4KHz / Low Pass Freq. 40Hz-500Hz

Thanks guys!

Personally if I had to choose between just those two amps only it would be the CB600.2 for the extra headroom. 

5 minutes ago, altoncustomtech said:

Personally if I had to choose between just those two amps only it would be the CB600.2 for the extra headroom. 

Exactly!

Perfect. Thank you guys!! And for the fast replies! I was thinking the same, but wanted to double check with people on here.

The 600 will work slightly better for your speakers, just because it will put out more clean RMS then the smaller amp. And it want be working as hard either. More power is always good. When I do sq style installs on my own cars, I always buy a amp around 2-3 times the recommended RMS and run it at a higher ohm load, turned down so I get as much clean un-clipped power as possible, without straining the amp. But either one will work fine I like the Orion stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

The 600 will work slightly better for your speakers, just because it will put out more clean RMS then the smaller amp. And it want be working as hard either. More power is always good. When I do sq style installs on my own cars, I always buy a amp around 2-3 times the recommended RMS and run it at a higher ohm load, turned down so I get as much clean un-clipped power as possible, without straining the amp. But either one will work fine I like the Orion stuff. 

While your conclusion is right your facts are confused.  Headroom is your friend.

Just so you are clear Havasufreak.  Either amp will work just as hard and you have no way of changing the load to "run it at a higher ohm load".  That being said, I agree that more power is always good...okay not always, but the sentiment is spot on.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

While your conclusion is right your facts are confused.  Headroom is your friend.

Just so you are clear Havasufreak.  Either amp will work just as hard and you have no way of changing the load to "run it at a higher ohm load".  That being said, I agree that more power is always good...okay not always, but the sentiment is spot on.

I actually meant I run my subs at a higher ohm load to put less stress on my amps, and electrical to achieve better sound quality, and reliability. But running a higher wattage amp at less then full tilt will still help achieve a better sound then a smaller amp at its max capability's. Sorry I should have said that in my original comment.

8 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

I actually meant I run my subs at a higher ohm load

There are no raw drivers that have user adjustable impedance.  Btw, the OP was asking about components and not subs.  In the sub world discussing SQ and an amplifier is sheer stupidity as well.

What Alton said. :)

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

There are no raw drivers that have user adjustable impedance.  Btw, the OP was asking about components and not subs.  In the sub world discussing SQ and an amplifier is sheer stupidity as well.

Yes I already said that. And I didn't say one amp would sound better, I said a bigger amp ran at a lower level, as in the gain turned down would sound better then a smaller amp ran at its max, as in the gain turned up past clipping causing distortion. I see that a lot, not everybody knows it's not a volume knob. But even if he knew and didn't run it into clipping, more power is almost always better. Double the wattage should give a little more output if nothing else, and that's what I was getting at. 

It's all ohms law. Amplifiers are almost always better off ran at a higher impedance for a lessor load, but running the lower ohm loads is where you run into problems. Normally higher impedance speakers sound better and have more fidelity then demanding lower impedance drivers. And it not just the amp or the speaker that gives you your sound it's the two working in unison. One amp over another can have a huge impact on bass response, presence, treble, dynamic range, and how loud it sounds. And with all these manufacturers inflating the specs you can never tell what exactly your getting, so I prefer to get the biggest amp I can afford, and adjust accordingly. My money is on the bigger amp will be better for his application. 

On 1/10/2017 at 8:34 PM, Havasufreak said:

Perfect. Thank you guys!! And for the fast replies! I was thinking the same, but wanted to double check with people on here.

Feel free to give some feedback on your equipment , I'm just curious how it all works out...

Thanks everyone for the replies! I got the new 600.2 in the mail today and installed it almost immediately. I haven't tuned the amp yet since it started raining, but so far the speakers sound very clear and a great bang for the buck. I've had a couple different brands in the truck so far for all around the same price and these sound better for sure!