Sorry brother, I do not recommend brand names. Sort of a conflict of interest. 

34 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

Can't remember with that specific year truck, but there may be enough fabrication room to install an 8" driver in each door. May be something you can check on.

Have to modify the door skin, but not a problem.  A 7" tucks nicely.

16 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

Fair enough .

31 minutes ago, Cwallaker said:

Any recommendations for an 8 in a 2 way plus sub setup ?

You need something beefier than a tweeter to mate with an 8" driver.  This is compounded by the terrible dash layout and stock tweeter location in your truck.  Going with an 8 in the Silverado can be done if you do a 3 way, but then it is a compromise as well.  Probably require kicks for the mid/tweet and a whole new processor and a big mess.  All this and it may not address your concern as well.

Randal is "sponsored" by Blues Audio so he probably won't offer up anything other than that if he even does.  In my case while there are plenty of monster 8's and ways to do them in a 2 way, I don't see how in that truck without getting you frustrated and back here.  Btw, the only possible way you could would require something other than the PRS for a crossover as its points don't lie nicely with a full range driver.

Let's try and fix your install first, then discuss what you want to make better and then spend money.  Any other order really won't help.

21 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

4 minutes ago, Cwallaker said:

Fair enough .

I guess I am slow.  Didn't see that response.  To be clear I used quotes since I don't know the extent, but he is more than a friend of the company.  He is also pretty sure that I'd respond don't use the Blues 8 with a tweeter in your truck...but I'd say that about any 8 pretty much without being more extreme.

See what I mean by conflict of interest. LOL, it's all good Sean, you're still my homie. 

But no, the only reason I would suggest trying an 8" driver is you may have better luck rather than wasting money on kicks.

2 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

See what I mean by conflict of interest. LOL, it's all good Sean, you're still my homie. 

But no, the only reason I would suggest trying an 8" driver is you may have better luck rather than wasting money on kicks.

Lol . I'd love to have already put 8's in the doors , but didn't because I thought there might problems blending without a dedicated mid . Not that I haven't heard many very nice 2 way 8 home speakers . 

17 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

You need something beefier than a tweeter to mate with an 8" driver.  This is compounded by the terrible dash layout and stock tweeter location in your truck.  Going with an 8 in the Silverado can be done if you do a 3 way, but then it is a compromise as well.  Probably require kicks for the mid/tweet and a whole new processor and a big mess.  All this and it may not address your concern as well.

Randal is "sponsored" by Blues Audio so he probably won't offer up anything other than that if he even does.  In my case while there are plenty of monster 8's and ways to do them in a 2 way, I don't see how in that truck without getting you frustrated and back here.  Btw, the only possible way you could would require something other than the PRS for a crossover as its points don't lie nicely with a full range driver.

Let's try and fix your install first, then discuss what you want to make better and then spend money.  Any other order really won't help.

I'm absolutely in favor of making the best out of what I have at the moment . 

5 hours ago, Cwallaker said:

Lol . I'd love to have already put 8's in the doors , but didn't because I thought there might problems blending without a dedicated mid . Not that I haven't heard many very nice 2 way 8 home speakers . 

Listen to one of those home 8 and tweet systems with the tweeter facing a different direction.  It would be enlightening ;)

44 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Listen to one of those home 8 and tweet systems with the tweeter facing a different direction.  It would be enlightening ;)

Touchè. Lol good point .

You can literally just copy off of google images and post them here. Those subwoofer enclosures look cool.

I kinda have mixed emotions about the looks of the tweeters, but I bet they sound phenomenal with proper time alignment !!! Wish I could hear it !!!

34 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

I kinda have mixed emotions about the looks of the tweeters, but I bet they sound phenomenal with proper time alignment !!! Wish I could hear it !!!

Function first . I want to hear them before I commit to glassing the pillars . So far they are very good , and can be rebuilt !  They will sound better I'm sure when I figure out how to properly use t/a. It's setup with the auto feature now . 

Wish I knew more about that particular Pioneer product. I run a Kenwood head unit. I know of one person on our team that runs that unit, but I think he has a Helix DSP along with it. Can't remember. 

22 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

Wish I knew more about that particular Pioneer product. I run a Kenwood head unit. I know of one person on our team that runs that unit, but I think he has a Helix DSP along with it. Can't remember. 

I just need to spend some time actually playing with the settings . I just haven't had much lately.  

How did you choose the tweeter aiming?  My guess is that they are a bit too on axis, but let's listen to some music first and start cleaning things up!

Is there a baffle the mid is mounted to?  Looks like you've treated the doors. :)

53 minutes ago, Cwallaker said:

I just haven't had much (TIME) lately.  

I know EXACTLY what you mean.

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

How did you choose the tweeter aiming?  My guess is that they are a bit too on axis, but let's listen to some music first and start cleaning things up!

Is there a baffle the mid is mounted to?  Looks like you've treated the doors. :)

I just put them at a angle I thought would be as close to on axis as I could . These are the Dayton rs28 4ohm tweeters . I never considered  that there was a better direction to aim them . The mids are mounted in the doors with a 1/4 thick foam "boom mat" cup that I cut all but the top out of to protect them from water . Behind them is a " speaker tweaker" from second skin . 

I've never heard a pillar tweeter that sounded best on axis. ;)

The caveat being I haven't heard every car in every situation.  When I ran the RS28's in my house they were on axis :Doh:

Can you share what cross points and slopes you have everything at right now?

10 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I've never heard a pillar tweeter that sounded best on axis. ;)

The caveat being I haven't heard every car in every situation.  When I ran the RS28's in my house they were on axis :Doh:

Can you share what cross points and slopes you have everything at right now?

I figured since they are actually for home audio , they would do best on axis . 

Xover are as follows 

Sub low pass 63hz 18db slope

Mid high pass 63hz 12 db slope 

Mid low pass 2k 6 db slope 

High  hi pass 2k 12 db slope  phase reversed  at the moment 

11 hours ago, S.DeYoung said:

You can literally just copy off of google images and post them here. Those subwoofer enclosures look cool.

I did not know that . Thank you .

Those boxes are very nice. They fit like the were glassed in there . 

4 hours ago, Cwallaker said:

I figured since they are actually for home audio , they would do best on axis . 

Xover are as follows 

Sub low pass 63hz 18db slope

Mid high pass 63hz 12 db slope 

Mid low pass 2k 6 db slope 

High  hi pass 2k 12 db slope  phase reversed  at the moment 

Is that the settings the autosetup chose?  Did it do some wacky looking eq up top?
Your logic was almost sound.  If there was no windshield, dash, drivers window, etc then on axis would be golden.  It is shocking how much of the sound in a car is reflected.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Is that the settings the autosetup chose?  Did it do some wacky looking eq up top?
Your logic was almost sound.  If there was no windshield, dash, drivers window, etc then on axis would be golden.  It is shocking how much of the sound in a car is reflected.

It is the see tings that auto setup choose , except for the sub low pass  and mid hi pass . Those were set to all pass probably because I didn't have my subs hooked up when I ran it .  My system doesn't sound bad as is , it just seems like I could be better .  I have no real refrence point to draw from . I live  in yakima , Wa . Here a "good" system is a big amp , a couple type r's , and stock mids/highs . Shit ... my system might sound amazing lol , and I don't even realize it . 

As for the eq, I'm not sure how to look at the settings. Would that be the custom 1 or 2?

Also is it possible for the xover to be letting lower freq to my tweeters despite my settings ? It seems like it is on certain songs ??

Edited by Cwallaker
Left out info