4 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Better make that call quick he will definitely need help after dealing with Sean. 

Christopher doesn't have your reading comprehension difficulties, he'll be fine.

I reckon my readin is fine , but my arithmetic'en ain't to Good . 

Good day to all. I'm still listening with out subs .... I sure miss em .  It has prompted me to lower the levels on the tweets a bit . So as of this morning it sounds best with the phase of mid low pass set to rev , and all other phase set to normal . 

Is that with T/A on or off?  I'd try it both ways.

The T/A the auto should be able to set....but that I never checked.  Wasn't sure if it allows you to see what you set.

You can listen with your subs on, just don't make too many decisions on what the front stage is doing while they are playing.  Listening to every single driver independently is also a benefit as it really gives you an idea of what is going on.

The other thing you can do for balance, phase and system understanding is generate test tones and listen to them.  Here I'd listen to each driver independently and in pairs.  Since you have only 16 defined bands of EQ I'd pick tones right at those bands.  Will let you see at what frequencies you may need some eq.  

T/a o's on , and I can see the distances it is set to . Any recomended test cd ?  I see some tones ,and sweeps are available to stream online . Other than that I have thr rockford fosgate clean setup disk,  but I think its only got a few tones . 

I just use Audacity.  It is free and will let you generate noise, tones, and mix pretty much anything you'd ever want to.

20,31.5,50,80,125, 200,314,500,800,1250,2000,3150,5000,8000,12500,20000

Are all that you need.  Can either make Left, Right & Stereo or use the system to shut off the drivers to compare.  I personally like tracks so you can do Left & Right in rapid succession.  Go through once and write down all the discrepancies and then go back and start making changes to the eq.

6 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I just use Audacity.  It is free and will let you generate noise, tones, and mix pretty much anything you'd ever want to.

I can't find audacity for android :/

1 hour ago, Cwallaker said:

I can't find audacity for android :/

Never looked...for Windows though it works great.  The Android/Apple Function Generator apps sometimes do wacky things with signals.  For pure tones they are typically fine, but when you make "noise" with them don't expect it to measure or be right.  FuncGen for Android will give you stereo signals that you can generate on the fly.  

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Never looked...for Windows though it works great.  The Android/Apple Function Generator apps sometimes do wacky things with signals.  For pure tones they are typically fine, but when you make "noise" with them don't expect it to measure or be right.  FuncGen for Android will give you stereo signals that you can generate on the fly.  

I could just bring my laptop out . I'll check out the other app you mentioned . 

Thanks Sean

Or rip them to your phone or CD.  I carry a test tone CD with me always in the car 

39 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Or rip them to your phone or CD.  I carry a test tone CD with me always in the car 

I'll do  that . 

It allows you to trouble shoot anything anytime.  Along with tones I like to have various types of noise, sweeps, etc. :)

On 1/30/2017 at 10:36 AM, ///M5 said:

I'll do  that . 

So.. after listening a bit I have realized by listening to each pair of drivers individually that I was really over driving my mids ,and highs . For example highs were , l ch -2 r ch -3; they are now -4 & -6.

Same for the mids I turned them down a few notches ,and it actually didn't really reduce the overall volume of the system; but its sounding much clearer . It's strange after turning mids and highs down then bringing the subs back in; the amount of presence overall seems the same . It's just as loud ,but much better sounding . I did leave the lh mid reversed phase .  Can phase be normal at the sub low/mid hi pass ,and reversed at the mid low/ high  hi pass? 

On 1/30/2017 at 1:36 PM, ///M5 said:

I do the same on a flash drive & disc in my console. Tones on 5 second incriminates and step down sine sweep for tuning.

Just make sure when you generate the tones, that you do not go over peak on the program eq. Last thing you want is clipped signals for referencing. Zoom in and look at the wave so it does not end at anything other than zero or you will hear a popping sound. On a low end for subs I prefer using a mono track so that there is no different end in the wave between left & right channels.

14 hours ago, Cwallaker said:

Can phase be normal at the sub low/mid hi pass ,and reversed at the mid low/ high  hi pass? 

The abstract answer is that there is no "normal" phase.  ie, whatever combination sounds best amongst all the possible combinations is the one to use.  Your crossover settings however are not phase coherent so the adjustments and listening has to be done more than once.

...which of course is exactly why crossovers are part of the install :)

If that wasn't clear ask away.  Want to make sure I hint enough so you learn it all, but am clear enough to help.

30 minutes ago, Cwallaker said:

So... reversing phase is a band aid for actual driver timing issues ?

If I understand it correctly its more of an install based fix since you don't sit directly in the middle and in front of your drivers.

On 2/1/2017 at 10:04 AM, ///M5 said:

If that wasn't clear ask away.  Want to make sure I hint enough so you learn it all, but am clear enough to help.

I'm still reading up , bUT I'm not sure I'm understanding the aplication in car audio. Is phase coherence possible in a car ? Am I on  wild goose chase lol? 

Impossible for all frequencies of course but minimizing the mess is always a goal.  Reading more will help less than listening more. :)

I'm considering moving the tweeters . Just not sure where yet . On some music they seem spot on . For instance; Bon Iver's song "Wash" sounds amazing . Clear ,clean and , very detailed . The sound stage seems perfect . Then I listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers  "higher ground" and , I can't turn the highs down enough . The tweeters are so forward , and in your face it's unbearable.  So I'm lost as to what my next move should be . Right now I just stick to listening to what sounds good , but my goal of having a system that can play anything is still in sight . 

Out of curiosity what is the fidelity of the tracks you are listening to?  I ask because crappy recordings can do wonders to a good system.  The wonders however are how much they fuck it up.