Welcome to SSA Car Audio Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shogen

All Things Photo Talk

57 posts in this topic

As I mentioned, I wanted to created a thread for photography/videography for members to post whatever they want relating to the subject... i.e. lenses, camera bodies, accessories, software and general questions and opinions on the matter.

 

I'll start off with my new edition or new upgrade rather:

 

Sony a7m2

23N9vo9.png

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came close to one of those, but their Canon adapters don't quite focus fast enough...and FF frame small body feels strange to me since the glass is so big.

Add to that the Sigma Art series don't match a FF real well...which is annoying since the IS is in the camera and would allow those to be KILLER lenses.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I came close to one of those, but their Canon adapters don't quite focus fast enough...and FF frame small body feels strange to me since the glass is so big.

Add to that the Sigma Art series don't match a FF real well...which is annoying since the IS is in the camera and would allow those to be KILLER lenses.

 

My experience with the Sigma lenses was pretty great back when Full Frame digital wasn't around. 35mm and 50mm at the time on a Sony a33 and Sony a580. 

Fast forward and with my Sony a77ii I used a Sigma Art lense 18-35 f/1.8 and it was pretty horrible for the price. Reviews went many different ways but most said their shots were in-focus 90% or more. Could've been the copy I received since some say getting a new one seemed to correct issue but @ $800 mark I wasn't playing around. Gave that lens straight back.

Just played with it a few weeks and was like ehhh no, no bueno. 

I'm going to look around but I definitely feel like I want a sub 20mm lens for my kit possible in zoom format.

You can use the Sony crop sensor lenses in "crop-mode" which isn't ideal but if you're using the range I'm looking for I think most photos for my usage will do well. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would crop mode just be digitally cropping the photo when you take it?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nikon let's you do the same...but it doesn't autocrop so you have to remove the vignetting

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to put a yes in front of that

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nikon and Canon do have the same features as far as I know but I haven't had any personal experience.

With my Sony there is an 'AUTO' mode but I haven't used any lenses that "talk" with the camera electronically so I've had to set it to crop mode. And once I've done this there hasn't been any vignetting at all. (unless I do not turn on the APC-S mode)

 

9 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Would crop mode just be digitally cropping the photo when you take it?

 

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Nikon let's you do the same...but it doesn't autocrop so you have to remove the vignetting

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shogen said:

Nikon and Canon do have the same features as far as I know but I haven't had any personal experience.

With my Sony there is an 'AUTO' mode but I haven't used any lenses that "talk" with the camera electronically so I've had to set it to crop mode. And once I've done this there hasn't been any vignetting at all. (unless I do not turn on the APC-S mode)

 

 

 

They are different.  Sony has a mode, Nikon doesn't complain if you put an APS lens on a FF, and it flat out just doesn't work on a Canon.  Generally speaking though everyone does it the other way and puts FF lenses on Crops.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My lens is getting a few specs on the outside. What's the best to clean it with?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lens cloth. I use disposable ones

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2017 at 3:47 PM, ///M5 said:

Nikon let's you do the same...but it doesn't autocrop so you have to remove the vignetting

You can fix that when using a FF body by going into the settings and telling the sensor to crop to a DX sensor.

 

They aren't even 1/2 as sharp as what you get from FF glass.

 

J

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Lens cloth. I use disposable ones

Any air or brush?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the $3 canon air puffer and brush.  Works for some stuff.  Carry it in the Crumpler.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

They aren't even 1/2 as sharp as what you get from FF glass.

You'd be surprised by a few of them.  The Tokina 11-16 is killer in both.  

I do prefer the Canon APS glass though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ///M5 said:

You'd be surprised by a few of them.  The Tokina 11-16 is killer in both.  

I do prefer the Canon APS glass though.

 

As I haven't tried all of them, I'm not shocked.

Canon makes a nice lens, no argument there. I just feel as though Nikon offers an equally worth while lens, and in some spots, superior. 

 

J

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That being said, I revisited some old shots on my new laptop last night. Talk about a night and day difference between what I had seen before, and what I see now. 

 

J

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Godsmack said:

That being said, I revisited some old shots on my new laptop last night. Talk about a night and day difference between what I had seen before, and what I see now. 

 

J

lol... I feel that way sometimes. But then I'm there are times I'm like DAYUM, I took that shot?!?!?!?!?!?!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2017 at 10:15 AM, ///M5 said:

Lens cloth. I use disposable ones

I buy a thousand patches at a time off ebay.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2017 at 6:50 PM, Shogen said:

lol... I feel that way sometimes. But then I'm there are times I'm like DAYUM, I took that shot?!?!?!?!?!?!

LOL I say that because I switched from an 11" Toshiba touchscreen (VERY reflective) to a new 15" MacBook Pro. The retina display is amazing.

 

While many would certainly have an argument about Mac vs PC in this area (and many others) this is one spot where I am simply going with the flow of what my current school, and many others that have a photography program utilize.

 

J

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to use a Nikkor micro 40mm 2.8 yesterday. I was taking some photos of some test parts and man can you get close. I think I'd prefer something with longer focal length to do macros.

I also now have a Canon 430 flash available borrow. I may have to try it out soon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Godsmack said:

LOL I say that because I switched from an 11" Toshiba touchscreen (VERY reflective) to a new 15" MacBook Pro. The retina display is amazing.

 

While many would certainly have an argument about Mac vs PC in this area (and many others) this is one spot where I am simply going with the flow of what my current school, and many others that have a photography program utilize.

 

J

Nothing wrong with the Apple laptop...but had you spent the same on a Windows machine you'd be even more impressed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I price out a Windows desktop for ~$1K. Looked at an equivalent Mac, $3600.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't really equivalent as the PC had an SSD and 2 1TB drives for RAID storage.

That didn't include monitors.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A/V software is integrated more effectively on an Apple but outside of that it is just expense for no reason.  Their clever uber huge educational system discount has paid monster dividends obviously

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PC FTW 

On 2/8/2017 at 10:38 PM, MKader17 said:

Wasn't really equivalent as the PC had an SSD and 2 1TB drives for RAID storage.

That didn't include monitors.

 

On 2/9/2017 at 8:36 AM, ///M5 said:

A/V software is integrated more effectively on an Apple but outside of that it is just expense for no reason.  Their clever uber huge educational system discount has paid monster dividends obviously

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.