cjm86

Electrical needed for 2k watts

What upgrades are needed to run a Sundown 2k? Some people say HO alt and some don't. What do you all think? Going in a 2005 Cavalier. Not trying to buy a HO alt if I don't need to. Thanks

I would try a second battery, big 3-4, all  0 gauge wiring, and keep a eye on voltage drop. If it drops below 12volts, then you may need a alternator, but you want know till you try. Also listening habits will factor in to. If you are heavy on the volume for hours, then your gonna need a electrical system to substaine that. But if you go easy you may be fine. I'm running 1500 watts in my dodge, and have no problems unless I go full tilt for over 2 hour. 

Edited by Billy Jack

1 hour ago, cjm86 said:

What upgrades are needed to run a Sundown 2k? Some people say HO alt and some don't. What do you all think? Going in a 2005 Cavalier. Not trying to buy a HO alt if I don't need to. Thanks

you're either going to spend money on many batteries which take up alot of room and weight more or look into alternator.

my suggestion which is the common one is usually to get the biggest AGM battery you can up front under the hood and upgrade wiring to 1/0 or bigger