n8te81

More power to hdc312= more output maybe?

So right now I have a hdc312 on a older nine.1 which is hopefully still around 1200rms... Inwas wondering if anyone knew if I would notice any output difference going to 2k like the sq2200 or maybe like a crescendo or something like that. 

This is all in a 350z.... O yeah electrical is

Stock alt= 110 amp

Agm bat up front

Big 3 done.

All sky high 1/0 wire. 

I do have a 4ch in the car as well. 

Honestly there could  be a sizable difference difference since you're doubling power however, you would be better off optimizing your enclosure or increasing cone area since that's a much cheaper route.

Trust me I would if I could but if u have ever seen a 350z trunk u would know I can't lol. The box is as big as we could ported which is 2.5net and tuned at 35hz. 

In theory the most you can gain from even doubling power is +3dB, and that's in a perfect world which this is not. After factoring in inefficiencies such as power compression you'll never see the entire +3dB gain. 

Why are you trying to gain more output, are you chasing numbers and competing with it?

Just trying to get the most out of my sub... I mean don't get me wrong it sounds really good and it beats... But of it has the potential to BEAT then I of course would want that too. 

I'd hate to ride in a 350z with that much weight in it. That rear suspension just wasn't made for shit like that. Just Saying

Edited by Randal Johnson
Spelling

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Probably not worth the cash

This.

So I talked to a guy on YouTube that had a 1200w amp on his and went to a 2k like I want to and he said he gained a full 2db just swapping amps. I'm sure maybe that also depends on the cab type of car and his box? It's just hard deciding when I get 50/50 answers. 

O and the box is all birch and I pretty much gutted the rear... So with box and amps it's probably only like 80 pounds in the back so it's not that bad. And I have full coilovers so pretty stiff suspension  

Edited by n8te81

How old is your amp? Some old amps do loose power so it may end up being more then double the power. Only way to tell is clamp it and see what your sub is getting. That and so many of these manufacturers lie you honestly want know till you try. Have you used any sound deadening that's a cheap way to gain a little plus it helps the entire system and not just your sub stage. 

Yeah I've got deadener on my hatch all around but that's about it since I've got the port facing up. And the amp that I'm using is actually one of the original ED nine.1 when I knew the guys when they first opened up. It's been a great Amp but not sure what it's putting out and I'm not sure anyone audio places can clamp here. 

15 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

How old is your amp? Some old amps do loose power so it may end up being more then double the power. Only way to tell is clamp it and see what your sub is getting. That and so many of these manufacturers lie you honestly want know till you try. Have you used any sound deadening that's a cheap way to gain a little plus it helps the entire system and not just your sub stage. 

Old amps lose power?  Perhaps you should explain that...

And btw, clamping won't tell you anything.  Do the uncertainty calculation on the measurement and you will see how futile it is.

15 hours ago, n8te81 said:

So I talked to a guy on YouTube that had a 1200w amp on his and went to a 2k like I want to and he said he gained a full 2db just swapping amps. I'm sure maybe that also depends on the cab type of car and his box? It's just hard deciding when I get 50/50 answers. 

O and the box is all birch and I pretty much gutted the rear... So with box and amps it's probably only like 80 pounds in the back so it's not that bad. And I have full coilovers so pretty stiff suspension  

Full 2dB isn't very exciting for a daily...won't buy you the money's worth.  I would also be very dubious about listening to anyone on youtube in particular if there is no reference to how it was measured, if it was a single note fart box, etc...

16 hours ago, n8te81 said:

Is your sub ported? if so what are you tuned to? maybe increasing the tuning may increase the perceived loudness... possibly.. But I wouldn't go by what that youtube person said as comparing apples to oranges won't be useful.

DO NOT get a new amp you might not see the full 2200w depending on your electrical and the fact you don't get 2200w constant anyway unless you're doing notes.

Give us more details.

Photos of setup.

Box type/size/measurements

Port size/length/tuning

Box is 2.5net and tuned at 35hz. Not sure about the port length and all that since I'm at work but if I remember it was like 2.5x13 or something like that but definitely don't quote me on that. That was definitely the biggest ported box I could do. 

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Old amps lose power?  Perhaps you should explain that...

And btw, clamping won't tell you anything.  Do the uncertainty calculation on the measurement and you will see how futile it is.

Full 2dB isn't very exciting for a daily...won't buy you the money's worth.  I would also be very dubious about listening to anyone on youtube in particular if there is no reference to how it was measured, if it was a single note fart box, etc...

Transistors, capacitors, and resistors can degrade over time and want function as they did when new. Obviously this is far worse when a amp is cheap, and uses cheap parts. Also amps that are forced to output more power then they safely can, also substain damage, but still may work, just not to full capacity. But you want know until you test it, unless it's really bad then you might notice a degrade in output. And that's why I prefer to not buy used electronics, you just don't know what your getting, unless it's a piece from someone you know. Also I have noticed huge gains from changing amps, going from a  autotech 1k to a US2000X transformed my system. It was Substantially louder, and the sound quality was noticeably better to, so I don't know where you guys get changing amps want help. I have also had gains just changing subs in the same system to. Eventually if you upgrade and add enough you can take a mediocre system and transform it into a block rattling beast with superb sq.  

Edited by Billy Jack

5 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Transistors, capacitors, and resistors can degrade over time and want function as they did when new. Obviously this is far worse when a amp is cheap, and uses cheap parts. Also amps that are forced to output more power then they safely can, also substain damage, but still may work, just not to full capacity. But you want know until you test it, unless it's really bad then you might notice a degrade in output. And that's why I prefer to not buy used electronics, you just don't know what your getting, unless it's a piece from someone you know. Also I have noticed huge gains from changing amps, going from a  autotech 1k to a US2000X transformed my system. It was Substantially louder, and the sound quality was noticeably better to, so I don't know where you guys get changing amps want help. I have also had gains just changing subs in the same system to. Eventually if you upgrade and add enough you can take a mediocre system and transform it into a block rattling beast with superb sq.  

that's fine but just your opinion is what it is. The OP can try other simpler things without spending a huge amount on a amp and possibly needing more electrical to support this new amp properly. 

Just think about it.... you go in thinking just add a bigger amp. Come back to forum stating no real difference or you're not getting the difference in loudness you expected. Then suggestions to monitor voltage and possibly now you need to upgrade alt/batteries when you already didn't have the space/money in the first place. 

Trying to help with what someone already owns may be the best first option, don't you think? Logically speaking you have a problem and now you're throwing money at it hoping it helps? 

Yeah last thing I want to happen is I spend 500 on a good amount then it's not much difference THEN I notice now I have to upgrade my electrical for my voltage... Of course some of this is my ears now being use to my system which happens to everyone. If I was using say a 1600w amp or a 1800 I wouldn't be having that doubt really if my sub could do more with a 2k but since I'm only using a 1200 thays what's making me wonder.... 

12 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Transistors, capacitors, and resistors can degrade over time and want function as they did when new. 

I agree with that statement completely, but you said they lose power not quality.  Big difference.

12 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Also I have noticed huge gains from changing amps, going from a  autotech 1k to a US2000X transformed my system. It was Substantially louder, and the sound quality was noticeably better to, so I don't know where you guys get changing amps want help. 

Answer is simple, we don't subscribe to your subjective hope theories that have colored your reality.  There is a reason that sugar pills regularly have the same effect as medicine.

Btw, I am not saying you didn't have gains going from an autotech 1k to a US2000x but again not really pertinent to the OP's question.  In his case he would have to hope for a small incremental gain which financially wouldn't be worth it.

2 hours ago, n8te81 said:

Yeah last thing I want to happen is I spend 500 on a good amount then it's not much difference THEN I notice now I have to upgrade my electrical for my voltage... Of course some of this is my ears now being use to my system which happens to everyone. If I was using say a 1600w amp or a 1800 I wouldn't be having that doubt really if my sub could do more with a 2k but since I'm only using a 1200 thays what's making me wonder.... 

do you know how your voltage is now when your pushing on the sub hard with music?

Never actually tested it... I've had really slight dimming on my instrument panel at night but that's it. And that's only cause my HIDs draw a decent amount... But yeah never actually tested it. 

only reason I'm asking is you brought up upgrading the amp but its a valid point to make sure you're getting good voltage to current amp and also to maybe see if adjusting gain might help a bit with your setup.

57 minutes ago, n8te81 said:

Never actually tested it... I've had really slight dimming on my instrument panel at night but that's it. And that's only cause my HIDs draw a decent amount... But yeah never actually tested it. 

18 hours ago, Shogen said:

that's fine but just your opinion is what it is. The OP can try other simpler things without spending a huge amount on a amp and possibly needing more electrical to support this new amp properly. 

Just think about it.... you go in thinking just add a bigger amp. Come back to forum stating no real difference or you're not getting the difference in loudness you expected. Then suggestions to monitor voltage and possibly now you need to upgrade alt/batteries when you already didn't have the space/money in the first place. 

Trying to help with what someone already owns may be the best first option, don't you think? Logically speaking you have a problem and now you're throwing money at it hoping it helps? 

I'm not suggesting he buy a new system,  I'm suggesting he fix the one he has now. He has a great sub, HDC3's can take 2k all day, everyday and if he is underpowering it with a old amp that may, or may not, be up to par, he could possibly be very happy with a amp and electrical to support it. Now if your hurting for cash, then yes by all means just work with what you have. I don't want to see anybody disappointed in their system. A friend of mine had this very dilemma just last week, he got 2 new Memphis mojo subs in one of the heaviest ported boxes I have ever seen, and all he had for power is a Sony 1200 that in reality does what, a 1/3rd of that, maybe 300-400 watts at .1%thd, and he asked the very same question? What should I do, it's just not that loud. I recently picked up a spare slash 1k for $50 bucks (he thought it blew) so we hooked it up to his zero gauge, and he instantly smiled ear to ear when he saw his windshield wipers bouncing off the windshield, and climbed in to find blurry vision, and breath taking bass, where once was not much. It's up to the op if he feels a slight gain is worth it to him, but I know for a fact a properly boxed and powered sub is gonna be louder, sound better, and possibly last longer if he might be trying to ask to much of his under sized amp. I give my honest opinion, and leave it to the op to figure out what he thinks is best for his situation.  

Edited by Billy Jack

Ever consider a bat cap? Idk if you can fit a secondary battery somewhere, but I know Kinetik had some small in size batcaps. I used one in my Honda a while back and I noticed it sounded louder.