Tuned in, im interested in this as well!

Zed Audio Mikro IV, it fits perfectly under the seat of my Jeep.  It runs cool, has had no noise issue, and worked flawlessly for 2 years now.  The only complain is the set screw for the remote is difficult to tighten, I've had a passenger in the back seat knock it loose twice.  I need to get off my lazy butt and re-position the amp so it doesn't happen a third time...or stop having passengers in the back seat.

1UM7CSs - Imgur.jpg

Edited by SS Teacher
added photo

We have a few ZED Mirko I's left in stock.

5 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

Zed Audio Mikro IV, it fits perfectly under the seat of my Jeep.  It runs cool, has had no noise issue, and worked flawlessly for 2 years now.  The only complain is the set screw for the remote is difficult to tighten, I've had a passenger in the back seat knock it loose twice.  I need to get off my lazy butt and re-position the amp so it doesn't happen a third time...or stop having passengers in the back seat.

1UM7CSs - Imgur.jpg

No passengers near the audio equipment is my vote. Lol:doit:

So I found a local shop they deals Earthquake and has a friendship with a Cerwin Vega dealer, so they're going to get some Stealth Bomber amps to audition and I'm going to check out the EQ amps too.  

Found a Punch BR at Best Buy, but was in their clearance bin and could not audition it.

I remember 10 or so years who when some sub companies would send around a driver to audition.  I think amplifier manufacturers need to do this especially given the vast range of "value" within the market.

So, the amp auditions were today.  I got to the dealer and they were closed, nobody there, and all the windows were covered up.  Called the guy I spoke with last week and he told me he was 5 minutes away.  Apparently they recently closed up and he still answers the phone to liquidate his inventory.

We go inside and he has very little inventory left, so I'm thinking instant bust.  We go put into the bay and he's got an '02 F150 with a full EQ install rising their Mini series amps.  He fired the truck up and we had a listening session.  Now,there was nothing fantastic about them, but they did the job well.  I don't know specifics, but he had four 4 channels, two 2 channels, and a mono run to each of 3 subwoofers.  They performed respectably, and were fairly small, but not quite as small as I'm looking for.  

We sent outside do get a couple of the CV amps and wired them up to a soundboard which was comprised of a set of Soundstream 3 way components, some coaxials, and a 15" Tarantula sub.   The CV amps were smallest in height and depth to the EQs, but the mono amp was a hair longer.  They look and feel like solid amps.  He wouldn't let me open anything's up, so no idea on guts.  I don't know what it is or if it even IS at all,  but every "digital" amplifier install I've every heard all sounded the same to me.   I can't describe it other than it just sounds a bit dull to me.  I've experienced this IN the home audio realm also, but only on mid and lower level amps.  Budget wise, I don't even partake in thinking high end for home audio.  Just me.  

So I've auditioned two companies "mini" amplifier lines and both  sound identical to me.  This is a good thing as I feel amps should do nothing but amplify, but of you're expecting a "normal" AB sound, you're not going to find it.  

He also had a SS Stealth 2 channel amp.  The thing was tiny and he said they've installed many in some Harley baggers and some side-by-sides.  Unfortunately, I did not get to audition it.  

So far I'm getting that a "natural" sound I'm accustomed to cannot be found with these smaller "digital" amps.  I could live with this before, but the current platform (ecoboost Mustang) is relatively quiet versus my previous V8 cars and the inadequacies of the stock system were readily made apparent, so why sacrifice sonic nirvana, at least in some achievable form, for space.   There's got to be room somewhere in this bitch!

This could all be psychoacoustics as well.  I've not ruled that out.  This comes from someone that won't buy a driver unless it has a paper cone, or mostly paper. . . .   Aside from tweeters of course

To me, some of the newer class-D full range mini amps seem to be a little dry and less warmth and life than some of the class-A/B's I am used to.

I almost bought the full range micro but instead just the little mono.  On a sub any amplifier signature is moot.  I felt the same as Aaron the first time I heard some of the early D's, but don't feel that way on the new ones.  Of course some people still swear by tube amps as well, so sound is rather personal.

In my current daily listening configurations I have a few class D's, a T, 2 tube amps, a Class A/B, a Class A, and some Onkyo/Integra hybrid.  Fundamentally when tuned up they all do the job just fine and are the least influential part of the sound in their respective systems.  The exception being the guitar amp of course.

I'm not at all concerned about the sub section.  With such a narrow band in relation to everything else, it's pretty much pointless to me.  I don't even purchase a sub based on sound.  They all sound same, given a quality design.  But that's a discussion for another place and time.

Just my opinion here. I have done direct swap out listening with alpine class d full range, zed mirco, nvx class d full range, RF punch 150 a/b, and sundown 125.2 a/b.

Test vehicle's were my 4runner with AA carbons and old MB quart tweeters and ford focus running IA 6.5 components.

To my old ears out of the class d amps the zed was by far the most crisp sounding and the punch 150 was by far the best sounding out of all. 

Take it for what you want everyone hears things differently.

I am currently trying to get my hands on a power 650 and punch 200ix for my collection and a/b testing.

Those old Punch amps are great!  

I love the small form factor, but I love a big no bullshit heat sink too.

I have the same Punch 150 in my basement. :P

I have a Zapco Studio Digital series ST-4D running the Bravox CS603CF bridged in the Traverse. It's a strong little amp that sounds very open and airy. I love the little thing and it doesn't seem to have all the limitations I hear people talking about that didn't like the sound of full range digital amps. 

Sure wish you lived closer, I'd be glad to demo these VE and Zapco amps for you. 

I've found some information that the Arc XDi amps sound very similar to AB and I found a dealer fairly close so I may try to audition them. 

I've also been thinking about removing some foam from the rear seat backs giving me space for more traditional amps.  The seats will mostly be unoccupied for the life of ownership, and there's no comfort if you're in the back anyway.

We're supposed to have 50s and 60s again this week, so I should have some time to tear into this thing and get a good idea of what I have to work with.

Good to hear Zapco is still making a quality product.  I've been hesitant of them since Zeff no longer designs them.