jcarter1885

Modeling Midbass Drivers 6.5"-7"

Im looking for a new set of speakers since my current SB Acoustics are ruined by water damage from my current door panel. Im getting a new car soon and wanted to see if there were any pros or cons in swapping drivers. Currently I have no problems with my SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4. But if Im going to get another pair I minus well compare them to whats on the market now. I have narrowed it down between these three drivers: SSA Evil 6.5", Fi FN.7 or my current SB Acoustic Drivers. Any help in modeling as I dont know what to look for or what to do, would be greatly appreciated.

Car doors will be treated as it should, tweeters are SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-COOO-4. Still deciding on amp at the moment and processing is in the air right now. Thanks. Any other info just ask.

1 hour ago, jcarter1885 said:

Im looking for a new set of speakers since my current SB Acoustics are ruined by water damage from my current door panel. Im getting a new car soon and wanted to see if there were any pros or cons in swapping drivers. Currently I have no problems with my SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4. But if Im going to get another pair I minus well compare them to whats on the market now. I have narrowed it down between these three drivers: SSA Evil 6.5", Fi FN.7 or my current SB Acoustic Drivers. Any help in modeling as I dont know what to look for or what to do, would be greatly appreciated.

Car doors will be treated as it should, tweeters are SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-COOO-4. Still deciding on amp at the moment and processing is in the air right now. Thanks. Any other info just ask.

Honestly, I would keep what you got if they still function properly. Unless you just have money burning a hole through your pocket you aren't gonna notice enough of a difference to justify the cost. But I could be wrong I have'nt used any of those speakers but I have used plenty others  and never notice much when switching out, unless your going from a pyramid, to a focal or something. As long as there pretty comparable, I would just focus on install, and feeding them lots of good clean power. 

Edited by Billy Jack

Im not looking for someone who is trying to raise their post count so thanks for trying to help but you didnt. But I appreciate it.

I'd grab those SSA drivers just to try them out. Just saying. I want to buy a pair so bad it's killing me, but I have nothing to put them in.Maybe a couple of reviews might push me over the edge ... LOL

I dont want to buy them just because they SSA, actually looking for modeling help guys. But thanks though.

1 minute ago, jcarter1885 said:

I dont want to buy them just because they SSA, actually looking for modeling help guys. But thanks though.

Well, I was pulling up the specs for all the drivers mentioned above, But with that response, I think I will stop and just watch for what you pick out. Good luck brother. 

Yeah ok, havent seen you helping much lately on here so no biggie. I bet if Blues was in the mix you be jumping on board. But I digress. Offering a solution or option without doing the leg work first is not what I was looking for. So if your butt hurt then sorry.

Modeling software? Will be IB in doors so looking for a starting point in door size? Etc. 

dang brother, i thought we were cool. I didn't mean to piss you off by that comment. And you have never seen my try and push any name brand off on anybody, no matter what it was. I was just wanting to see someone that normally post on this forum to post up some kind of review on them. My apologies brother.

I am tuned in to see what you come up with.

Thanks man, like I stated any help is appreciated and I know you know your stuff. Was just not looking to be told to try some drivers just to give a review on them. But whatever drivers I choose I will give a review on them without hesitation.

Modeling them is not going to tell you everything you want to know because the doors are really like a leaky enclosure, so any information derived from modeling them will be dubious at best. 

That being said, if you were willing to build enclosures for them the playing field could be leveled and the modeling more accurate. Not to mention the possibility for improvements in response. 

Either way I would be willing to try to help with the modeling if you like. 

Im guessing much wont be interpreted from their published graphs either. If thats the case then this thread is a wash but I wouldnt mind modeling to see the results. I want to try all three drivers just dont want to buy them all when im still planning on grabbing some new 12" subwoofers as well.

Considering I've had the SB Acoustics, Im willing to go on a limb and flip a coin between the SSA's or the Fi's. Any particular t/s parameters I should look for? Thanks guys

Edited by jcarter1885

Thanks Sean, how exactly would the measured graphs show me the sonic signature or provide hints?

Look for anomalies. Drop outs aren't as disconcerting as peaks, but all can be dealt with via processing of necessary.