Randal Johnson

2002 Ford F-150 Super Crew

On 7/12/2017 at 10:45 PM, Randal Johnson said:

Picking up my door panels from the salvage yard tomorrow. Yes, all four doors. Hoping to start on my dash pods soon housing a four and tweet combo. Think I'm going with eights low in the doors. 

Updates?

A few things with audio, but more updates with the truck is done. 

Front stage will be a 2 way active setup, and we are making plans for a single 8 (hopefully a pair) behind the rear seat. 

I will get around to posting again asap. All work and no play at the moment. 

Small Updates. Nothing special, I mean come on, it's just an ole work truck.

Head Lights !!! You know me, I'm HID / Projector all the way homies !!!

gallery_5_7_90787.jpg

gallery_5_7_25476.jpg

What a Difference !!! Special thanks goes out to Mike Mastin with Hyper Lights for these amazing creatures !!!

BTY, these are custom built and retrofitted.

:woot:

Now let's see them in action.

Every Work truck needs a Head Ache Rack. This Rack and Box was bought for the 97 Chevy (White Lightning) back when it was new. Was taken off for the Bed Cover / Audio upgrades. Seems to be a perfect Fit on this old Ford.

gallery_5_7_8785.jpg

Now I need some Hyper Lights action here !!! Coming Soon guys !!!

1 minute ago, jcarter1885 said:

:woot:

Now let's see them in action.

Don't have any night pics or vids yet. Sorry Bro. Working on it though. Got lazy in my old age. LOL

Alright Bitches !!! We all know why we are here. AUDIO UPGRADES !!! Trying my best guys.

Please remember, nothing is set in stone and I'm constantly testing and tuning.

Front stage upgrades. This will be eventually a 2 way active front stage 6.5" driver and tweet setup. For now, it's passive. So according to the good ole measuring tape, it all measures out so that I can time align mid and tweet together. Thank God !!!

gallery_5_7_75179.jpg

I know guys, that's not on axis or off axis. Those tweets are on adjustable pedestals and THIS is where the Stage and image sounds best to me. No  "tricking or notch EQ'ing" here. Left and Right separation seems to be Dead on Balls Accurate as is. After a couple of SQ comps, I think the A-pillars will be ready for Fiberglass.

As for the doors. Nice baffle with a 6.5" driver for midbass.

Deadning and MLV ??? As soon as I can afford it guys. Unfortunately, working on a very tight (closer to none at the moment) budget. What can I say, Shit Happens.

Edited by Randal Johnson
I can't type for shit these days

Guys, this Dash Mat has got to be one of my BEST purchases for this vehicle. I recommend to all if applicable !!! Makes the Sound, Stage, and Image AMAZING. You can literally tell the difference with this thing on and off !!! A cheap must have for any Audiophile !!!

gallery_5_7_59094.jpg

As for the Smiling Thingy on the mirror ??? Its a dad thing. If you are a father, you will understand.

Someone asking about subs ??? This is still a thought process but I did mock up something to get ideas. Text book or not, I thing it's going in the right direction. I'm just glad it can be stealthy and out of the way because after all, it is a work truck.

Here we Go. A pair of 25+ year old tens in a mock up box that don't seem large enough for a pair of 8" drivers. I didn't think it would work either until I started working with the time alignment.

gallery_5_7_112438.jpg

Like I said, just threw this together. So don't bash me up too bad. it's a work in progress.

gallery_5_7_102141.jpg

This will be pulled out for upgrades as soon as I can get Deadning material.

I have to Delay (time Align) this Damn thing almost 7 feet for it to sound like the bass response was coming from the dash !!! But then again, the enclosure is NOT finished by no means, does not have the correct drivers (using the old ones to test and tune not to damage my new ones), And WAY underpowered until I can build my battery bank and amplifier rack upgrades.

This is NOT a ground pounder and will never will be so I'm not looking for anything close to a 150 db. So I think this setup is going in the right direction for me. Shouldn't be long before I start making trim panels and deciding to paint, cover, or whatever we do to it after the test and tune is done.

Well, that's all for now guys !!! Hope you enjoy. May the Force be with you !!!!

Edited by Randal Johnson

On 5/25/2017 at 9:24 AM, Randal Johnson said:

I have absolutely no idea on what to do for an amplifier rack or where to put it. Can’t go under the rear seat. Hmmm ...

Yea ford f150s have terrible y set seat space. Unless you run a smaller amp. 

12 minutes ago, ManzKea said:

Yea ford f150s have terrible y set seat space. Unless you run a smaller amp. 

I have some of the smallest footprint amplifiers they make. I will be running most likely a pair of 2-channel amplifiers. Possibly 3. Yep, this is going to be a tough one for sure. 

Thanks for posting !!!

Blowthrough!  Lol 

I got an 05 f150 supercrew and yes bro space in this thing is full of fail. 

4 hours ago, ManzKea said:

Blowthrough!  Lol 

LOL, no thank you. If I decide to compete with this one, I do not want to get stuck (again) in advanced classes because of a sub enclosure.

4 hours ago, Infinite913 said:

I got an 05 f150 supercrew and yes bro space in this thing is full of fail. 

I should have no problems with a pair of sealed 10s behind the rear seat. Sounds good so far and nothing is a finished product yet. If it’s a failed effort, I have no problems going back to the drawing board. 

Thanks for posting !!!

5 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

LOL, no thank you. If I decide to compete with this one, I do not want to get stuck (again) in advanced classes because of a sub enclosure.

I should have no problems with a pair of sealed 10s behind the rear seat. Sounds good so far and nothing is a finished product yet. If it’s a failed effort, I have no problems going back to the drawing board. 

Thanks for posting !!!

They place you based of the enclosure?

3 minutes ago, ManzKea said:

They place you based of the enclosure?

cutting of metal = Vehicle Modification

Ooh ok ok. That makes sense as to why you’d be placed in an advanced class. 

Competition is not even a thought until after deadening and amplifier work  is done.

On 3/22/2018 at 1:18 AM, Randal Johnson said:

cutting of metal = Vehicle Modification

Lol yup. Like being above window line will put you in the walled class at most comps.

Edited by Travis

The era of Chevy that competed with your old Ford is worse on the money pit side...your new one though way better than either.  You previously had something from the dark days of confusion by both manufacturers.  I had an 02 Chevy and it was the biggest POS I've ever owned in my life.  My 2010 Escalade is world's better although it isn't too fair considering I gutted all the electronics, put a whipple on the motor and redid the suspension completely.

:doh:  I meant to start that out with a congrats.

...one other side benefit, the doors in that beast work really well for midbass with a beefy 7 and almost no work.  

I also just bought a $130 active headunit (no cd player, but USB/bluetooth with FLAC support) and will be able to tell you how it is in a week or so.  It's for my boat which has a few other things that need fixing first.

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

The era of Chevy that competed with your old Ford is worse on the money pit side...your new one though way better than either.  You previously had something from the dark days of confusion by both manufacturers.  I had an 02 Chevy and it was the biggest POS I've ever owned in my life.  My 2010 Escalade is world's better although it isn't too fair considering I gutted all the electronics, put a whipple on the motor and redid the suspension completely.

I definitely understand. My 97 Chevy was WAY more dependable than this 02 Ford.

This 07 Avalanche seems to be WAY more vehicle than those two trucks put together. I pray I have good luck with it.

As far a upgrades (other than stereo) will most likely be a cat back exhaust, cold air setup, and hopefully wheels and tires.

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

:doh:  I meant to start that out with a congrats.

...one other side benefit, the doors in that beast work really well for midbass with a beefy 7 and almost no work.  

I also just bought a $130 active headunit (no cd player, but USB/bluetooth with FLAC support) and will be able to tell you how it is in a week or so.  It's for my boat which has a few other things that need fixing first.

Yes Sir, those doors look promising !!!

Also, this thing will be perfect for a single 15" driver setup without cutting metal !!! Been a LONG time since I've had a large cone area bass setup. Can't wait to see what the measuring tape has to say !!!

gallery_5_7_69365.jpg

Edited by Randal Johnson

Nice find, I always loved those Avalanches. :rockwoot: