Randal Johnson

2002 Ford F-150 Super Crew

This is my Daily Driver. According to the F-150 forums, I got a sweet deal on her. 

large.KIMG0006.jpg.31a33565ae6d3a48cda57

large.KIMG0007.jpg.bb449e141b87b6a1a0744

These pics were taken the day (night at the car wash) I brought her home. 

Edited by Randal Johnson

She's all stock (for now) with the 4.6 V8. 

large.KIMG0063.jpg.c6ab019880f4829a27158

Hopefully I can find some time and get the Audio cables ran under the hood soon. Nothing spectacular, just adequate for power and stealthy looking. 

This tool box was on White Lightning before I bought the bed cover. Stuck it on for now so I can have some tools when needed. Like I said, this is my daily driver. 

large.KIMG0062.jpg.558ff760ee1090036f4ec

I will take this back off at a later date to sand and paint it. but for now, it works for what i need at this time. 

I used a lot of fords just like yours when I was Rodbusting. Bullet proof engines, but expect to replace, or rebuild the tranny at 100-150k miles, if your lucky. But to be fair we did haul a lot of men and wire which adds up when you got 800lbs of steal wire and another 1500lbs of rednecks and Mexicans in them all the time. We drove non stop and always used these trucks and it happened to them all. When we finally got the lariat's with the 5.4 we never had a problem, they all lasted to 200k then we traded them in for new trucks. 

Engine and Transmission is freshly rebuilt (back stock unfortunately LOL) by a good friend of the Family. Me and the wife will be the only two people to ride and drive this truck. So it should last me a while hopefully. This 4.6 has plenty of power for me. 

Put over 400,000 on my last truck. 

Edited by Randal Johnson

Disclaimer on the Audio Parts: NOTHING is a finished product. I'm just getting started. With my Job and the Wife's "honey do list", my time is VERY limited. LOL 

Stock Radio sounded OK. I was surprised to be honest with the stock speakers. But the truck was missing the one thing I simply can not do without.

The Kenwood DNX9980HD !!!

KIMG0008.jpg

Some cutting was needed in the dash unfortunately, but was able to squeeze it in there and be able to breathe nicely. I know, the bezel needs A LOT of fab work done to it. I'm hoping to take it to my guys over at Precision Audio to take care of this for me. But for now, I can watch my music videos and movies !!! Now as far as sound with the stock speakers (6x9 in each door) go, MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!! I LOVE TIME ALIGNMENT !!!  

Edited by Randal Johnson

Nice truck, I had a 97. 

2 minutes ago, nem said:

Nice truck, I had a 97. 

Thank You Sir 

:woot: cant wait to see what you do with this truck.

About the only fab work that's needed at the moment is the dash bezel and the Tweeter locations. Got a few more pics to post, but may not get to load them tonight. Got a LONG Monday ahead of me tomorrow. 

I always thought you were a Chevy guy.  Nice truck.

....no longer the cable guy??

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I always thought you were a Chevy guy.  Nice truck.

....no longer the cable guy??

This

Driven Ford's all my Cable Guy career. Never had any problems with Ford.

No, I'm not a Cable Guy anymore.

I still love Chevys, just driving a Ford for a while. 

Thank you Guys !!!

Like the start! Tuned in for sure!

So a guy walks into a bar and sees a ... Wait a minute, wrong forum. My bad.

So i went to a junkyard the other day and found a pair of A-pillars for my truck. Spent almost a month deciding on tweeter placement. Set my tweeters (passive down to 2000 htz) up with the stock door drivers and went to work. Pillars looked like a paint by numbers board with all of the holes on them. LOL Never did find the sound i was looking for. Too narrow, Rainbow effect, so on and so forth. pulling my hair out for sure. So I remembered a little car from Spring Break Nationals that parked beside me. You know the car, the one with all the Hybrid Audio stuff winning show after show ?? Yea, the one with the 4 6.5" sub bass drivers. Can't for the life of me remember his name ... 

Anyways, his drivers (not tweeters) were in the sail panels with a sort of wierd axis on them. Figured it was worth a shot. What's the least that would happen ?? replace my door panels ??? done that before a time or two. IT WORKED !!! Stage depth not as deep as I wanted, but posted the center stage (singer) dead nutz on the center of my dash. Extremely wide width to boot !!!

Now once i figured out the tweeter location, I was thinking seriously about a two way 8 and tweet setup. Well, not going to happen in these doors without MAJOR work. I know, I need to deaden and what not, but threw in a pair of drivers I had laying in the closet and see what happened. With the addition of the 5.25" drivers, and working with the 9980, I'm lacking very much in dynamics, but the sound, stage, and image is there !!! 

Like i said earlier, nothing done and set in stone, but a major improvement towards my goal !!!

KIMG0009

KIMG0010

Edited by Randal Johnson

Glad the ever elusive tweeter aiming came to a positive end for you...mine are back in the stock position waiting for another round of playing around.

48 minutes ago, Jay-C76 said:

Like the start! Tuned in for sure!

Thank you Sir

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

Glad the ever elusive tweeter aiming came to a positive end for you...mine are back in the stock position waiting for another round of playing around.

Well, I like them the way they are now because the are out of the way (sort of) and not having to change anything on my dash.

Talking to Ray about getting a dash pad for it. At the moment, there's a large black towel on the dash helping things out.

I need more time with it. 

On 2/21/2017 at 7:38 PM, ///M5 said:

Hey PETE!

Thanks man !!! She's a heavy hauler for sure !!!

It actually has a real nice Pioneer headunit, 4 speakers, amp and 12" sub under the coffin bed. Honestly, she will rock the block down !!! Nothing sound quality or SPL, but great noise maker to keep you awake on those long hauls !!! 

Here's a few links on what's going in this truck if anyone's interested. 

My Amplifiers: I have a pair.

http://linearpower.com/LP2150.html

My front stage component set: Active or passive yet to be determined.

http://linearpower.com/LP5.2C.html

Sub Bass: Yet to be determined. 

23 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

Here's a few links on what's going in this truck if anyone's interested. 

My Amplifiers: I have a pair.

http://linearpower.com/LP2150.html

My front stage component set: Active or passive yet to be determined.

http://linearpower.com/LP5.2C.html

Sub Bass: Yet to be determined. 

What kind of prices does limearpower charge. They got that old school look like the Phoenix gold M-100 I had with them fins running across them. Are they underrated, surely they are cause there strongest amp is what 200 watts or 2x200?  

Their website should have all the information you need. If not, Call or Email Robert Rayfield. His info is on the website.

He should be able to answer any questions you have personally. Thanks for checking them out !!!

BTW: Their smallest is a 2 channel 150 watt amplifier (2 x 75 wpc).

Edited by Randal Johnson

1 hour ago, Randal Johnson said:

Their website should have all the information you need. If not, Call or Email Robert Rayfield. His info is on the website.

He should be able to answer any questions you have personally. Thanks for checking them out !!!

BTW: Their smallest is a 2 channel 150 watt amplifier (2 x 75 wpc).

I'm not wanting to buy any. I was just curious what the amps cost. There are no prices, and it says on their site, no internet sales that's why I asked. They look like decent AB units though. 

Edited by Billy Jack

I'm not telling you what I paid for mine.

All you have to do is Email or call Ray and he will answer any questions you have about Linear Power. His info IS on the website listed on my previous post.

Again, Thanks !!!