Kwtruck

Looking for suggestions

Looking for suggestions on what subs to run . I've used kicker, fosgate , jl and alpine in the past but it has been a long time since I've had anything better than factory . The vehicle is a 2002 chevy 2500hd extended cab  I put a pioneer 6500 in the dash it was cheap and had the features I wanted  I bout nvx 6.5 components for the front doors (vsp65 kit) nvx 4x6 for the rear doors run off a pioneer  GM-D8604 . I started out making a budget system  I picked up a pioneer sub ts-w261d4 and was gonna run it off a older alpine I had in the closet collecting dust MRI-450 I think we'll long story short the sub sounds like a budget sub  I tried both ported and sealed pioneers specs and didn't like either 1 just sounded very muddy. I  built a quick box just to sit in the back floor till a figured out what size to make the box under the seat . I estimate I'll have about 2-2.5 cubes  I'm raising the seat 2 inches  just for more airspace and mounting depth  I thought about going with 2 alpine type R 10s  sonic has them for 135 . The truck electrical is stock already has dual battery's  big three is done I will have to buy another amp now so I'll decide on that after the subs to match . I'd like to stay between 5-600 for sub or subs and amp  can use 1 02 2 subs I can use the remaining space for under seat storage .  I mainly listen to  80s. 90s rock , a little country very little rap or pop but every now and then I try to act young again I. Like tight accurate bass  able to keep up with Metallica  but I want to be able to feel it also . Thanks in advance 

Single ported 12 is a real stretch to fit.  Single 12 sealed is easy.  Pair of 10s is fine too.

Downfiring gives you gains but it is easier to get up firing to sound better.  For what you describe I personally wouldn't strtch it and run sealed.  Single 12 buys you a way nicer driver than the same budget for a Pair of 10s.  

Thanks for the reply m5 I had even considered using a 12  wasnt sure about it being able to keep up with the music as good as tens and the mounting depth I still have a sar 1242d but mounting depth would be a stretch. Any suggestion on what sub to use I had never even heard of the subs in the ssa store till I stumbled across this website only considered the alpine because I have used 1 before I'm always open to trying something new .   Thanks again 

Not sure if you're set on under the seat for location but i ran a single 12 in my extended cab and i made a box to sit in the back seat.  Kind of like a middle console.  Basically made my back seat into a 2 seater.  Had sub facing up and port facing down on the end towards the floor.  Make a cardboard test box and see if you can live with that location.  It will expand your driver options greatly. 

It definitely has to go under the seat my German shepherds wouldn't understand why they can't ride in the truck anymore .

Personally I would lift the seat and build the skeleton of the box first.  Then choose drivers.  Everything about underseat is a compromise 

Couple of sound Quebec 10's would work great on a sound Quebec 1200 amp and there cheap. 2 10's will give you more room to push it as 2 coils can take more then one but will cost more.

10 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Personally I would lift the seat and build the skeleton of the box first.  Then choose drivers.  Everything about underseat is a compromise 

I can't agree more with this.

Also, you have experience with the Type Rs and they're great drivers so don't be afraid to stick with the known quantity as well.

10 hours ago, Kwtruck said:

Thanks for the reply m5 I had even considered using a 12  wasnt sure about it being able to keep up with the music as good as tens and the mounting depth I still have a sar 1242d but mounting depth would be a stretch. Any suggestion on what sub to use I had never even heard of the subs in the ssa store till I stumbled across this website only considered the alpine because I have used 1 before I'm always open to trying something new .   Thanks again 

Subs nowadays have come a long ways. The biggest contributing factor back then was higher moving mass combined with weak motors and loose suspensions. A lot of "modern" large subs have no problems keeping up. I listen to 90% hard rock/heavy metal/classic rock and my 2 15" SSA Xcons keep up just as well if not better than any of the 10's I used to run back in the day. Keep in mind that the box is a big factor as well.

Edited by jones82joshua

I'm taking your advise and started building the frame of the enclosure . I am going to upfirethe sub/subs I was leaning towards downfire but decided to keep it as simple as possible. I am going to glass the transmission hump gain a little space there once I figure how much space I have to work with I'll check back thanks for the help