SpeakerBoy

Volkswagen three way oem system

Does anyone know the name of the three way system design employed by volkswagen with the midbass at your hip, the mid at the front of the door and the tweets in the pillar?

Ellipsoidos or something, I lost my bookmark to the write up and I'm clueless as to where I found it

Google can solve this one.

I'm afraid Google is becoming less and less useful.  A simple Google search netted me ads from Crutchfield, JBL, Amazon and others.  One result was from a VW forum, but it was a "which speaker should I buy" post.  I greatly value this forum because there are people willing to offer technical advice and information without trying to sell anything.

Sorry Speakerboy, I tried but couldn't find anything.

You are referring to the MK5 body style. I did not know it had a design name. Mercedes did the same thing with the mid-bass towards the back of the front doors in the late 80s early 90s. Is there something specific you wanted to know about this layout?

While I have no idea what you are referring to as generally I am completely underwhelmed with any stock system, if you shared what was interesting to you we could help you avoid the need for the bookmark perhaps.

Epsoidis or ellipsoidos or something like that

I had it bookmarked but I guess it was on my android. It was at the very least an interesting read up (at least to me) about how angling the different drivers helped improve the stage in the oem three way.

midbass fired at the hip, midrange forward in the door slightly angled, and the tweeter at the a pillar angled slightly more

Billy Jack, find it on Google and link me if you can, I tried for two hours and ran out of keywords to try.

I was interested in doing a three way in my next vehicle because I am getting the hang of my two way and the only real complaint I have is overall output and midbass impact. I wanted to do a dayton reference 10 at my hip, reference 6.5 forward in the door and a dayton silk dome on the dash. I'm going to pick up a ppi 900.4 and two taramps 250x4's because they were tiny and I loved mine (well mostly, the knobs are tacky) and a pair of mini dsp's. Sticking with a single eighteen on 1500rms until I finish my front stage, I'm okay with lowend til I get more musical up front.

It just seems like a great way to use the doorspace, and looks clean to me.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

You are better off without the write up.  You can't copy things from a VW xXxX into a yyyyy

There was a novice write-up regarding the mid bass location on these cars in DIYMA. Evidently stage width is phenomenal, stock.

Also the midrange and teeter locations are equally as good. I've heard a setup in one of these cars using stock hu, stock speakers and aftermarket amp with dsp. It was very impressive. 

Edited by edouble101

BTW two Fi Audio 15IB3 on 1k sound really good in these cars.

philips opsodis i believe is what your referring to speaker boy