SS Teacher

Tweeter suggestions

18 minutes ago, jcarter1885 said:

So, did yall kiss?

The girls, yes. Hell why you think I set it that way? "Ha honey, you gotta lean over this way or the stereo doesn't sound right".  

Back on topic: Where are the mids going?

6 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

most notably the absence of tombstone tweeter pods replaced by 3 1/2" full range speakers,

That I understand...but not their implementation. The vehicle screams for an on axis setup for most of the audio range (exact reason you currently have the sound bar), but FCA's installation of it was horseshit.  Just peak at the off axis response of any ~3" midrange and you will see why.  Completely confusing how they could get part of the equation so right and part of it so wrong.

Other problem is that in that truck it is hard to treat the doors well enough for an 8" midbass which takes away fro the whole full ranger options.

I like your box! How does it sound? What time of music do you listen too?

13 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

My Jeep came with a amp under the drivers seat and I have the exact same tweeters on my dash. All I have in mine is a Memphis 10" and a memphis amp to match, more low end fill then anything. image.thumb.jpg.8ecab241115f8d6ac908f6a8a29e687e.jpg

Nice Jeep!  Running 33"s or 35"s?

20 minutes ago, SS Teacher said:

Nice Jeep!  Running 33"s or 35"s?

33" sir!

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Back on topic: Where are the mids going?

That I understand...but not their implementation. The vehicle screams for an on axis setup for most of the audio range (exact reason you currently have the sound bar), but FCA's installation of it was horseshit.  Just peak at the off axis response of any ~3" midrange and you will see why.  Completely confusing how they could get part of the equation so right and part of it so wrong.

Other problem is that in that truck it is hard to treat the doors well enough for an 8" midbass which takes away fro the whole full ranger options.

Yes, doors are NOT an option as I frequently take them off! :)

I'm utilizing the speaker pods that are located about knee level on the right and left side of the dash.  The concept is pretty cool as the mids get their own sealed enclosure.  Aiming will be tricky as it's a really tight fit and there is no way to rotate the speaker with them in place.  I could try and fab a ring to slightly aim them.  How critical is aiming of a 6 1/2" mid running from 80 to 3,000 hz?

7 hours ago, ManzKea said:

I like your box! How does it sound? What time of music do you listen too?

I had SSA design it for "as flat a frequency response from 33 to 80 hz as possible" with little to no size restrictions except for height.  It's HUGE, probably 3 cubit feet or more for a 10" but it sounds GREAT.

I have eclectic tastes, mostly EDM and pop, but classic rock, old school rap, old country, and just about anything else except new country and opera.

28 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

33" sir!

Great choice, you can go almost anywhere without the big axle upgrades needed to safely run 35"s.

44 minutes ago, SS Teacher said:

Great choice, you can go almost anywhere without the big axle upgrades needed to safely run 35"s.

I detailed a new jeep a couple of weeks ago for a girl and it had 37"s and been lifted really nice jeep, but she didn't upgrade anything to accommodate the huge wheels, and tires and the day after I took it back the transmission went out with only 7k miles on the jeep. The huge tires had it geared so high you only needed 3 gears to drive it and it was a 6 speed auto. I think the dealer is gonna replace it though. But if she doesn't upgrade the axles it's just gonna fry it again. 

37"s would require new axles and at least 4.10 gears not to mention upgraded everything in the suspension.  I'm sure that Jeep looks great, but it'll be a piece of hot garbage on the trail.  Forget the trail, if she hits a pothole she's going to bend the axle.  Off roading is just like car audio- you gotta pay to play.

7 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

Yes, doors are NOT an option as I frequently take them off! :)

I'm utilizing the speaker pods that are located about knee level on the right and left side of the dash.  The concept is pretty cool as the mids get their own sealed enclosure.  Aiming will be tricky as it's a really tight fit and there is no way to rotate the speaker with them in place.  I could try and fab a ring to slightly aim them.  How critical is aiming of a 6 1/2" mid running from 80 to 3,000 hz?

Ah.  I would be more worried about constricting them in too small of an enclosure than aiming them.  Venting the enclosure aperiodically may be a way to gain breathing room and might let them play nice below 80Hz.

Is the 3kHz just because the driver "can" play that high?  Considering the placement of the mids, I'd want the tweeter to play significantly lower than that.  Obviously for the time being ignore that statement, but long term the more you get up on the dash the better.

9 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

37"s would require new axles and at least 4.10 gears not to mention upgraded everything in the suspension.  I'm sure that Jeep looks great, but it'll be a piece of hot garbage on the trail.  Forget the trail, if she hits a pothole she's going to bend the axle.  Off roading is just like car audio- you gotta pay to play.

Yes it's a pretty thing, and she did have it lifted by skyjacker but the drivetrain is bone stock. I'm really surprised the dealer would warranty the transmission after only 8k miles. And she deffinetly takes it off road but I don't think anything to serious, just a few mud holes from the looks of it. After the first time I picked it up to detail I knew something g would give it's a 6 speed auto that can do 65mph in first gear lol. I got on the interstate and was lugging doing 80mph in 3rd gear. I will post a pic and show you what I'm talking about. 

I found before, and after me detailing it large.IMG_1993.JPG.71f7c59b1d53c9f3aca5a999a0a586ef.JPGlarge.IMG_1992.JPG.114786fc015cf241d2711d446bfecca5.JPGpicks on her Facebook. 

I run 35's on my Jeep with out re gearing! I can feel the difference and plan on re gearing later. And no I don't off road much :/ 

15 minutes ago, ManzKea said:

I run 35's on my Jeep with out re gearing! I can feel the difference and plan on re gearing later. And no I don't off road much :/ 

The tires aint necessarily the problem, it's her gearing. The giant tires have changed her already high gearing so bad it's putting way to much strain, pressure, and heat on the tranny. Instead of the engine having 6 tall gears, it only has 3. And that first gear is constantly being stressed and not locking the torque converter up like it should.  My jeep is a 6 speed manual and already had 3.73 gears so I'm good on 33"s it didn't change to much. 

So its not the tires that are a problem, but having 37s is messing up her gears. Makes sense :roflmao::suicide-santa:If she didnt have those tires would her gears still be messed up? 

21 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Ah.  I would be more worried about constricting them in too small of an enclosure than aiming them.  Venting the enclosure aperiodically may be a way to gain breathing room and might let them play nice below 80Hz.

Is the 3kHz just because the driver "can" play that high?  Considering the placement of the mids, I'd want the tweeter to play significantly lower than that.  Obviously for the time being ignore that statement, but long term the more you get up on the dash the better.

I'll measure the volume of the pods FCA uses, but I know they aren't tiny.  They might actually be close to the .30 cubic feet recommended by SSA.  I just did some research on Aperiodic venting (I vaguely remember that from the 90s), but I don't want to cut up the factory pods unless I have to. 

I picked 3kHz because I didn't think I could find a 1" tweeter that could much lower than that.

14 hours ago, ManzKea said:

I live in Flordia so I can live with 33"s and 3.23 gears on my 2 door manual.  I probably couldn't live with it if I had a JKU and/or hills.

19 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Yes it's a pretty thing, and she did have it lifted by skyjacker but the drivetrain is bone stock. I'm really surprised the dealer would warranty the transmission after only 8k miles. And she deffinetly takes it off road but I don't think anything to serious, just a few mud holes from the looks of it. After the first time I picked it up to detail I knew something g would give it's a 6 speed auto that can do 65mph in first gear lol. I got on the interstate and was lugging doing 80mph in 3rd gear. I will post a pic and show you what I'm talking about. 

The dealer is nuts.  She's going to destroy her drive shafts and ball joints.

2 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

I picked 3kHz because I didn't think I could find a 1" tweeter that could much lower than that.

I've run my Scan Speaks down to 1200Hz at quite high volumes.

Going below 3k should be no problem :)

I'm obviously no expert, but it looks like this ScanSpeak Limited Edition D2604/8320-02 1" Textile Dome Tweeter has an fs of 500 hz, 100 watts of power handling, and relatively flat frequency response all the way down to 1000 hz on axis.  This appears to be a very good match with the SSA Evil mids unless I'm missing something.  Opinions?

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 8.00.40 AM.png

5 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

I'm obviously no expert, but it looks like this ScanSpeak Limited Edition D2604/8320-02 1" Textile Dome Tweeter has an fs of 500 hz, 100 watts of power handling, and relatively flat frequency response all the way down to 1000 hz on axis.  This appears to be a very good match with the SSA Evil mids unless I'm missing something.  Opinions?

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 8.00.40 AM.png

Tweeters with balls are easy to implement with anything...but it doesn't always mean they will mate the best.  Install what you have, let's conquer making them sound as good as they can and then move forward wtih a replacement based on what they don't do well.  The Evil tweeter should dig pretty low too and there are others.  I run a Scan D2904/60001 but they are uber expensive and while awesome arent' worth the price for an in car installation.

I finally got one!  $150 on Offer UP (I did spend 3 hours of my Sunday afternoon in my car though).  Can't wait to replace that HUMONGOUS PPI Black Ice and put this "little" beauty under the seat.