Infinite913

Anyone know anything about bridges?

I am purchasing this home and it has a bridge as the front portion of the driveway that goes over a small lets call it a creek. In the pics you can see that the right wingwall is broken off the approaching abutment. The bridge is solid concrete and not sure what era it was built. Property started being lived on in 1900s and then house rebuild in 85 and then updated in 93. I have drove over the bridge in my town and country and other than the scrape from the dip had noticed no "bowing" or "softness of any kind. I just was wondering if anyone does this kind of work with wingwalls and abutments.

20170302_173353.jpg

20170302_173300_HDR.jpg

20170302_173257.jpg

20170302_173253.jpg

20170222_162023.jpg

20170222_161949.jpg

Clearly i know my van and my family is not a cement truck or uhaul or a heavy vehicle but just mentioned to make note.

Also other than the fact billy goats walk over where the troll sleeps.

Thats cool you have a bridge to access your property 

The unfortunate thing here is due to regulatory and insurance issues, you will have to have it inspected and repaired/replaced  via local contracting, so it's best to just go that route versus asking us.  You'll be amazed at how stupid some of the codes are, especially when a body of water is concerned.  I looked at a house with a creek running through it once and I was required to have several inspections in addition to the normal home inspections you get before I could even make an offer.  I don't know how it is where you live, but here, the burden is on the buyer, not the seller.

Ya i talked with a few local contractors and told me as of now its structuraly sound only issue is the wingwall allowing the earth to slip away down the side. Everything will be done to code just figured see if anyone had any ideas on how to repair the wingwall and i was going to throw a few ideas with the contractors i have and come up with the "cheapest" safest route. I am not taking the sole advice from anyone on here just seeing if maybe we got some engineers like jay-c76 that may have come across a repair like this and can give me some professional experience knowledge. 

In the engineering world, I've done work on bridges but only on cable stay ones.  Non-contact tension measurements in the cables themselves.  Amusingly it is an NVH measurement, but with a different purpose in the analysis of the results.  Wish I could help here, but it'd just be a red neck solution of sorts :P

Redneck solutions! Exactly what I gave him and he called me an engineer! Lmao

I told him get an old charger paint it orange, place a pile of dirt, & yeeeehaaaawwww!

Neither of my cars could make it over, they would get high sided on the end haha.

15 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Neither of my cars could make it over, they would get high sided on the end haha.

Even looks like my Escalade would drag it's chin.  It won't clear parking curbs either though.

Ya thats why we run lifted in these parts. 

So found out yesterday there was never a wingwall on the bridge. Old man built it by hand 80 years ago and i guess when he got to that wall he just said eff it. Talked with an engineer here about what to do and now have my plan of attack. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help and look. Thank you SSA.