Knxwledge

Cant decide between ICON and XCON

will be powering them @ 1200 rms 

How's the SQ of the XCON compare to the ICON?

I run XCON's and love them, but have not owned or heard ICONS. (I've owned DCONS as well though)

From my understanding, you will not lose sound quality, but the XCON has a heavier bottom end and gobbles up power.
For your application, if I were in your situation, I would probably go ICON - unless you were planning on upgrading in the near future, and wanted a sub that would grow with you.

Never herd the ICON, but my XCON pounded with 500 watts, you don't need to give it RMS to get loud AND sound great at the same time. 

Ive held in my hands every line that SSA has ever made and i have gotten to here multiple sizes of multiples versions and i have to say hands down the Icon is my favorite sub for clarity and crispness. The xcon is amazing because you can throw more power and still get amazing SQ out of it. But i dedicated a van to having 8 18" icons after have 4 zcon 18s and i can say im a little bias toward the icon. Other than that i can say either option is a great one. The xcon can have the most upgrades in the future but the icon can definitely take you where you want to get right now.

7 hours ago, jones82joshua said:

I run XCON's and love them, but have not owned or heard ICONS. (I've owned DCONS as well though)

From my understanding, you will not lose sound quality, but the XCON has a heavier bottom end and gobbles up power.
For your application, if I were in your situation, I would probably go ICON - unless you were planning on upgrading in the near future, and wanted a sub that would grow with you.

7 hours ago, jones82joshua said:

And welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks! That's good to hear. The price difference between the Icon and XCON isn't that much and needed to know if the SQ is on par with the ICON or better.  

But then again, I'm trying to save money in a way because I need to purchase a big 3 kit as well. The ICON might just be it.

2 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

Never herd the ICON, but my XCON pounded with 500 watts, you don't need to give it RMS to get loud AND sound great at the same time. 

Awesome! 

2 minutes ago, Infinite913 said:

Ive held in my hands every line that SSA has ever made and i have gotten to here multiple sizes of multiples versions and i have to say hands down the Icon is my favorite sub for clarity and crispness. The xcon is amazing because you can throw more power and still get amazing SQ out of it. But i dedicated a van to having 8 18" icons after have 4 zcon 18s and i can say im a little bias toward the icon. Other than that i can say either option is a great one. The xcon can have the most upgrades in the future but the icon can definitely take you where you want to get right now.

This is what I just needed to hear. ICON it is! Thanks

This was first time pressing play no tuning done to the wall 4th order 1:1 ratio on 1 soundstream 6500 on 8 icon 18s.

I have owned both, in 15".

I would get the Xcon for sure, because I love how strong it can be while being super musical !

But the Icon seems to sound better.

4 hours ago, Infinite913 said:

This was first time pressing play no tuning done to the wall 4th order 1:1 ratio on 1 soundstream 6500 on 8 icon 18s.

Do you have a bunch of install pictures handy? 

5 hours ago, Infinite913 said:

You are maybe one of 7 people who have heard them all. :)

I'v had Xcons , Icons and Dcons .... 

the Icons are my favorite , I could damn near levitate my car on 10hz with four 10" and they sounded really good

the four 15" Xcons I had hit hard but they didn't touch the Icons on the really low stuff

I sure wish I hadn't decided to delete Aaron's quote to me explaining the difference between the two when I asked the same question trying to decide what to get for my Jimmy. 

Basically he said that the ICON can deliver lots of solid low end response, resulting in lots of smiles and that the XCON is similar but with a stronger more direct impact. He went on to describe them in terms of heavy artilery. The ICON being the shockwave you feel from the explosion and the XCON is the missile straight to the head. 

Damnit I sure wish I still had that quote, the way he said it was awesome. 

Icons are more for sound quality period... The xcon on a response graph has a lot more output on desired tuning but you will achieve a flatter response out of the icon. And being on 1200rms, it's the more logical choice.

Placed an order for the ICON. The waiting game is rough lol. Almost a month, but I know it'll be worth it.

17 hours ago, Infinite913 said:

Im sure i could pull out a few

I would love to share them on our social media accounts. :)

14 hours ago, altoncustomtech said:

I sure wish I hadn't decided to delete Aaron's quote to me explaining the difference between the two when I asked the same question trying to decide what to get for my Jimmy. 

Basically he said that the ICON can deliver lots of solid low end response, resulting in lots of smiles and that the XCON is similar but with a stronger more direct impact. He went on to describe them in terms of heavy artilery. The ICON being the shockwave you feel from the explosion and the XCON is the missile straight to the head. 

Haha, what you said is pretty damn good.  So wait, did a topic go poof?

2 hours ago, Knxwledge said:

Placed an order for the ICON. The waiting game is rough lol. Almost a month, but I know it'll be worth it.

Awesome, thank you for going SSA.  Really do appreciate it. :)

8 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Haha, what you said is pretty damn good.  So wait, did a topic go poof?

You said it originally to me in a pm that disappeared when the site had to be rebuilt. 

I had the quote in my signature for years. 

37 minutes ago, altoncustomtech said:

You said it originally to me in a pm that disappeared when the site had to be rebuilt. 

I had the quote in my signature for years. 

I remember reading that way back when, I went scouring for that quote right before I bought my XCONs a year ago.. POOF! No trace. :(

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, altoncustomtech said:

Xcon was the guided missile straight to the chrome dome!!

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:49 AM, Knxwledge said:

Had a pair of two 12's Icons sound really good, could get plenty loud also doing it.