Cwallaker

Electrical noise out of no where

So as of yesterday I now have a small amount of noise creeping in . Nothings changed .  I have two batteries under the hood , both are grounded to the frame with 0 gauge. The alt body is grounded to one of the batteries.  All the amps are grounded to a distribution block which is grounded to the frame ,and body . I'm going to check all the connections , but am I doing something wrong.  I never had any noise before yesterday.  

Most can be RCA cable related. Good luck.

I have same issue with my cousins tahoe. I have been through new rca wires and isolators and ground locations. Next step is to remove the alt from the mix and see if it needs new bushings or bearing. The noise he is getting seems like alt whine over ground loop anyway but he was hoping to be a cheap fix. If you need any help we will be glad to help since you are at least taking the time to read the research on here. 

The alt is a new mechman 370. I've reduced it by half by adding short grounds straight to the body from the amp . I think my main ground wires ar to long . I have them straight to the frame . Also I'm pulling the deck ,and grounding it straight to the body instead of the factory supplied wire under the dash. 

5 minutes ago, Infinite913 said:

I have same issue with my cousins tahoe. I have been through new rca wires and isolators and ground locations. Next step is to remove the alt from the mix and see if it needs new bushings or bearing. The noise he is getting seems like alt whine over ground loop anyway but he was hoping to be a cheap fix. If you need any help we will be glad to help since you are at least taking the time to read the research on here. 

The alt is a new mechman 370. I've reduced it by half by adding short grounds straight to the body from the amp . I think my main ground wires ar to long . I have them straight to the frame . Also I'm pulling the deck ,and grounding it straight to the body instead of the factory supplied wire under the dash

You have resistance build somewhere in a ground. If nothing has changed and you haven't recently added anything to the mix, I would check all of your ground connections. They can loosen from vibration or become bad from corrosion, especially when left bare and exposed to weather.

1 minute ago, Jay-C76 said:

You have resistance build somewhere in a ground. If nothing has changed and you haven't recently added anything to the mix, I would check all of your ground connections. They can loosen from vibration or become bad from corrosion, especially when left bare and exposed to weather.

That's the plan for tomorrow.  I did spray all the connections with battery terminal spray . I'm wondering if it's worked itself between the contacts . The noise is just when I turn the radio on or connect with Bluetooth.  It's fairly quiet , and kinda builds a bit ; then goes away . 

This may sound weird....

Is it a whine that increases with engine rpm, hum that is steady or wave pulse, or pop sound when it happens?

It sounds like a tiny turbo it kinda spools up then goes into a kind of ringing ; then it stops . It kinda reminded me of some of the noise on a cb when the sun has flares .

Are you using the stock h/u ground?  If so, I'd change that while inspecting all the rest of the connections.

9 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Are you using the stock h/u ground?  If so, I'd change that while inspecting all the rest of the connections.

I am using the stock location . Not sure where I'm going to ground it . Body ,or straight to the neg on the battery . The body would be a shorter run .

Any solid piece of metal is fine.  The stock grounds are notoriously crappy on EVERY car.  Not saying this is your problem, but no way I'd run with the stock ground ever.

It was the head unit ground . I used a length of 8 ga ofc and grounded the deck to the firewall . Viola no noise !

:fing34: I had to do the same thing in my Saturn Ion and ever since then, I always ground my headunit with a piece of 8 or 10 gauge wire.