ManzKea

Dss ethos help

Hey guys I got a pair of 12" dss ethos that I had lying around , and finally gonna install it in my Altima. Anyways I had it in my challenger and it sounded great. Got rid of the challenger and forgot how I did the box. So I went on the website and was surprised when it said 40sq inches for 1.5 ft3. So if I wanted a 3 cubes box it would need 80 sq inches. I did the port length calculator and with that port area I would need a port length of like 60" lol   

So so I wanna ask if anyone has stuck to the recommendations to the T and  hat results did they get. 

Did you try to ask the owner on his website ?

I know he was active here some times ago. Those subs had good success. 

Yeah from what I remember they liked small boxes and large port area, but honestly you don't have to do 40 in^2 if you cant. 

No I haven't hit him up. He did chat with me before I purchased them back when he had his pre order going on.  

And ok guess I'll use a large port are like a 20 or so per cube

the x # of inches per cube is a myth.  port sizing is more relative to sub displacement capability...throw(xmax) times surface area(sd).  whe i was building a box for 2 15" ethos, Quentin suggested 104 inches of port for a 10 cube box.  

I use this one - http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Quentin suggested I use 22mm for xmax(instead of the 30 mm max).  But I was pursueing a flatter response curve...Tuning to 22hz.  My avalanche build log in my signature covers alot of it.

Edited by Lee Carter

We build mine pretty much close to recommended. Like 3.2cubes at 32hz. 73 square inches of port. Was impressive. In fact someone else we know that had ethos wanted the exact same box built for his. 

9 hours ago, ohio45113 said:

We build mine pretty much close to recommended. Like 3.2cubes at 32hz. 73 square inches of port. Was impressive. In fact someone else we know that had ethos wanted the exact same box built for his. 

If you like it I'll like it. Imma go ahead and build a box around that size. I always wanted to try the higher models the tridents but i didn't know how to go about getting em. Since his web page is pretty much always the same lol only ethos 

What was the size of your port? You made an L port?

I got a build log on here somewhere thatvi have no idea how to find where i posted exact specs and i think i even posted the design. 

So I redid the box sounds better cros the board. But I gotta admit the precvious box I had hit super hard on some notes. Lol but I think I need to get a new battery for the front. 

I noticed it would clip clip rather easy and so I trouble shoot it and foun my front battery is at it's ends. I had it for about 5 years. So hopefully a new battery will increase the boom lol

Got a new beefier battery but it's slightly improved. But I know for a fact it should sound louder. So I believe it's the box. Lol gotta re make it this weekend.had the port at 5.5 x 12.5 and like 56" long and it's loud on certain few notes and blah on majority lol. 

First time I ever had to make a port with 2 bends lol I think I may have done something wrong