Travis

Ssa tweets?

2 hours ago, AXEHAMMER said:

Cant speak to anything but the sound of them, and frankly it's amazing. Very warm and clear sound.

Where do you have them crossed???

5 hours ago, Jimi77 said:

Anybody got these installed yet?  How low can you cross them? 

I'm looking for some tweeters.  I'm between the Seas Neo and the 2" Aura Whisper at the moment.  I know the Aura is really a wideband driver, but it should easily handle the lower crossover point I'm seeking.  Tweeter will go in the A-pillar and I'm not sure how on/off axis it will be, but I'll figure that out once I have the tweeters in hand.  I'd like to cross at 2khz or lower (300-500hz would be great, but then my A-pillar project becomes a little more challenging).   A few people have crossed the Seas low, but it seems like most people cross them at ~2.5khz or higher.  Obviously the Aura Whisper can be crossed low, but it'll take more effort to get them on-axis and I'll have to fabricate some sort of grill.  The NVX/SB Acoustics tweeter could work, but I've read about the dimple detaching.      

I have an old P9, so I have a 36db crossover available.  Can the Evil tweeter get that low?  This will be an SQ oriented install. 

The Aura will require an enclosure or electronic cone control of some sort if you want to cross it over that low.  I speak from experience here.  Also, it rolls off steeply in the upper range (especially off-axis), so you may find yourself needing a small dome tweet raise the level.   The Dayton ND20s work GREAT for this!

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

The Aura will require an enclosure or electronic cone control of some sort if you want to cross it over that low.  I speak from experience here.  Also, it rolls off steeply in the upper range (especially off-axis), so you may find yourself needing a small dome tweet raise the level.   The Dayton ND20s work GREAT for this!

I'd probably cross the Aura's higher (~600hz - 1.2khz), but I really don't want to go 3 way up front.  I know I'd have to get the Aura's on-axis or the top end will suffer. 

I wouldn't cross the SBs under 1200hz personally, but depends on listening habits. I have two pair of those tweeters and never had a dimple detach even though i read about that before buying. One is sitting around the house and I have the other pair in the car, I really love them.

Cant compare them to the SSA tweeters as I haven't used them yet, but I do love my SSA mid drivers over my SB Acoustics mid drivers.

Edited by jcarter1885

When I said ~1200hz I was referring to the Aura.  If I got the SB/NVX, I'd probably go ~1600-2khz.  Where are you crossing the  SB at?  Since heat may play a factor in the dimple detaching, do you park in the sun often and how long have you had them?

While we're at it, how  do like the Evil 6.5?  Any signs of break up at higher frequencies?  Does it sound hot, forward or bright (like a Focal or ID CX) or more laid back and warm like a Dyn or Morel.   

Thanks a bunch guys. 

Glad you made it over to SSA.  My biased vote doesn't count.  But crossing the SSA Evil 1's at 2000hz is no problem, but I wouldn't suggest going all too much lower, I believe there was someone that ran down to 1500 approx with no issues.  But again, it is install dependent.

20 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Glad you made it over to SSA.  My biased vote doesn't count.  But crossing the SSA Evil 1's at 2000hz is no problem, but I wouldn't suggest going all too much lower, I believe there was someone that ran down to 1500 approx with no issues.  But again, it is install dependent.

It may be a biased vote, but at least it's a knowledgeable one.  :neil:

16 hours ago, Jimi77 said:

When I said ~1200hz I was referring to the Aura.  If I got the SB/NVX, I'd probably go ~1600-2khz.  Where are you crossing the  SB at?  Since heat may play a factor in the dimple detaching, do you park in the sun often and how long have you had them?

While we're at it, how  do like the Evil 6.5?  Any signs of break up at higher frequencies?  Does it sound hot, forward or bright (like a Focal or ID CX) or more laid back and warm like a Dyn or Morel.   

Thanks a bunch guys. 

I live in Texas, so I cant avoid the sun and my car is exposed to the elements 24\7 as I dont have a garage either. Ive had these tweeter going on 2.5 or 3 years now. How they sound will depend on how you position them, if you want in your face with great output then face them on axis (how I currently run mine).  If you want mellow and great sound quality then face them off axis. I cross at 2kH, yes you can cross them lower just depends on goals. 

I dont want to clutter up this thread but any other questions just shoot me a pm and ill be glad to answer them.

1 hour ago, jcarter1885 said:

I live in Texas, so I cant avoid the sun and my car is exposed to the elements 24\7 as I dont have a garage either. Ive had these tweeter going on 2.5 or 3 years now. How they sound will depend on how you position them, if you want in your face with great output then face them on axis (how I currently run mine).  If you want mellow and great sound quality then face them off axis. I cross at 2kH, yes you can cross them lower just depends on goals. 

I dont want to clutter up this thread but any other questions just shoot me a pm and ill be glad to answer them.

Thanks a bunch. 

Should really focus on the mounting locations before picking driver and crossover frequency.  Aiming and location would be exactly how I'd then narrow down both the driver and crossover point.

20 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Should really focus on the mounting locations before picking driver and crossover frequency.  Aiming and location would be exactly how I'd then narrow down both the driver and crossover point.

The midbass is going in the door.  The tweeter will go in the a-pillar, it may be on or off axis depending on how testing works when I get the actual tweeter in hand.  I suspect I'll end up on-axis, especially if I go with the NVX ring radiator tweeter; the Alpine & Vifa Xt's definitely sounded better on-axis.  I've done enough installs to know that a lower crossover point will prevent rainbowing and the stage pulling to the passenger side.  Ideally, I'd cross at ~300hz, but I do want to keep the car looking stock and running multiple drivers in the a-pillar location presents some fabrication challenges, drives up the cost, etc.  A few years ago I wouldn't hesitate to take on the project, but now that I have kids, I have less time and money to dedicate to car audio.  :(   At least I still have my Pioneer p9 combo so I have pretty significant processing power.   

Can't say that an on axis tweeter has ever sounded the best to me on the a pillar.  Full ranger absolutely but tweeter not usually.  Big difference when using a driver with good off axis response and not up there as well though.

30 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Can't say that an on axis tweeter has ever sounded the best to me on the a pillar.  Full ranger absolutely but tweeter not usually.  Big difference when using a driver with good off axis response and not up there as well though.

Depends.  With heavy metal, on-axis can be problematic, especially with the driver's side tweeter.  I guess by on-axis, what I really mean is aimed toward the imagery listening position between the where the driver and passenger sit.  Semi-on-axis I guess..... 

On axis always means pointing right at your head.  Nothing else.  Tweeters sound like crap pointed like that, but full ranges sound like crap if they don't.  Perhaps that sways you to the tweeter...

12 hours ago, ///M5 said:

On axis always means pointing right at your head.  Nothing else.  Tweeters sound like crap pointed like that, but full ranges sound like crap if they don't.  Perhaps that sways you to the tweeter...

Yeah, I was misusing the term.  Tweeters truly on-axis is pretty rare in car audio.   

No worries, just wanted to make sure that we understood as the difference can greatly change what you should choose :)