ManzKea

How do you measure the length for an L port?

I wanted to know what is the way to measure port length when it comes to an L. I googled and found someone posted on another forum a hunch of different methods. So I wasn't sure which is the most common way to measure it. 

When I do and L port I usually keep the width consistent through out but I'm not sure if I'm measuring it correct. for instance on a regular L port say 18" long in a 12x12x12 box. With the port width being 2", I'd go towards the rear 10", then make a bend, and put a wood going 4" . So I'd count the first length as 12" then the bend has a 4" wood and I'd add the 2" gap from the second wood to the side of the box to get my 16"     . Is that kinda in the ball bark? 

I seen people bring up end correction. and also in the bends, you'd measure to the center of the bend As you measure you're length  . Any info would be appreciated

Thank you !

What about a center port? How do you go bout the measuring of the port length 

Down the middle as always.  No end correction if it doesn't share a wall.

On 4/16/2017 at 1:30 AM, ///M5 said:

Down the middle as always.  No end correction if it doesn't share a wall.

What if there is a bend in it? The depth of my box isn't long enough to accommodate the port length 

Ok. So what about when it split? Do I add the two splits to the center to get my total? For example :

if I need 30" total. I go down the middle 10 then I bend it both ways like a "T" and go out on both sides 10" to get a combined total of 30?

Of course I'd factor in the end correction and what not to both sides which will be less than an actual 10". But to simplify it, is that pretty much the way of doing it ?

3 minutes ago, ManzKea said:

Ok. So what about when it split? Do I add the two splits to the center to get my total? For example :

if I need 30" total. I go down the middle 10 then I bend it both ways like a "T" and go out on both sides 10" to get a combined total of 30?

What is a "split"?

Like when it reaches the rear wall and needs to bend in both directions. Like a "T"

If it needs to be 30 and it will be 10 back then it will need to be  20 over on each side   . And when it "splits" you make the port half the width

You mean where it bends?  Even if you bend 180 degrees you measure in the middle of the port for length.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:53 AM, frogcase2002 said:

If it needs to be 30 and it will be 10 back then it will need to be  20 over on each side   . And when it "splits" you make the port half the width

Ok so 20 on each side to get the 30. And it HAS to be half the width? I saw a debate about that online and didn't really get a clear answer on. Thanks. 

Yea half the width . It needs to stay the same width so if it splits in two then both splits need to equal the width that the port starts out

You bumped a two-year-old dead thread to inform us that the length measurement is the length?